Metal detecting in Catalina island?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I bet that if you ask enough, and go high enough up the ladder, someone will eventually tell you "no". But I also bet you, that if you just went, no one would probably have ever paid you any mind (kind of like picking your nose. No one cares until you ask)

OP
OP
Marius

Marius

Jun 24, 2008
California
Detector(s) used
minelab x-terra 70
Tom_in_CA said:
I bet that if you ask enough, and go high enough up the ladder, someone will eventually tell you "no". But I also bet you, that if you just went, no one would probably have ever paid you any mind (kind of like picking your nose. No one cares until you ask)

you right its all foggy here anyway,i will not ask anymore ...
Thx time to hit the beach

S

stefen

Basically, there is only one public beach and that is fronting Avalon Harbor.

The Island is within the jurisdiction of Los Angeles County Harbor, Beaches and Parks.

Having said that, I have never seen anybody use a MD on this beach, however, I wouldn't see this to be a problem.

Historically, local kids use to swim up to the incoming ferries and passengers would throw change into the water. My guess is that there is a lot of undiscovered money to be found.

Avalon is a small and closely knit community and probably wouldn't permit exploring within the city limits other than the beach front.

OP
OP
Marius

Marius

Jun 24, 2008
California
Detector(s) used
minelab x-terra 70
stefen said:
Basically, there is only one public beach and that is fronting Avalon Harbor.

The Island is within the jurisdiction of Los Angeles County Harbor, Beaches and Parks.

Having said that, I have never seen anybody use a MD on this beach, however, I wouldn't see this to be a problem.

Historically, local kids use to swim up to the incoming ferries and passengers would throw change into the water. My guess is that there is a lot of undiscovered money to be found.

Avalon is a small and closely knit community and probably wouldn't permit exploring within the city limits other than the beach front.

Thx,i'm here stuck for all summer in work,and my idea was to just check from time to time waterfront and 2 local beaches.
X-terra 70 first hunt for coins then change coil and look for some gold rings and stuff,i was talking to day to some big time locals all say never seen nobody metaldetecting nothing its small community and so far only 2 guys own metal detectors both very old machines.
Regards

S

stefen

You got your answer, so go forth and find whatever is hiding beneath the waves and sand.

S

stefen

By the way, gold was mined on the island in the past and as I recall, someone found a bottled stash of gold dust in an old cabin a few years back.

So, if you go into the back country, be extremely careful. There are rattle snakes and a species of pygmy rattless-rattle snakes. Also, watch out for native buffalo...especially if you are on foot.

OP
OP
Marius

Marius

Jun 24, 2008
California
Detector(s) used
minelab x-terra 70
stefen said:
By the way, gold was mined on the island in the past and as I recall, someone found a bottled stash of gold dust in an old cabin a few years back.

So, if you go into the back country, be extremely careful. There are rattle snakes and a species of pygmy rattless-rattle snakes. Also, watch out for native buffalo...especially if you are on foot.

I was thinking go and check couple canyons here and there but i think its still closed (u can't dig nothing) nat.preserve anyway.
Whatever i will find on the beach i will post,got extra coil for gold also so we will see.
Thx for info actually i was looking in the web for any geological maps,or old maps of catalina. :icon_scratch:
Found that info" Did you know there was a Civil War naval battle fought right off the coast of Southern California?

Not many people realize the Yankees had barracks on the isthmus of Catalina Island in the 1860s, where a pitched battle was fought over control of gold and silver mines that could fund the war effort. "
I need check local museum for maps.I dont think so anyone was metal detecting military camps.
Regards

S

stefen

Interesting what a little research will uncover isn't it!

olprofessor

Jan 14, 2015
Northridge, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went to Catalina last Tues-Friday. In 2 and a half days I dug 214 coins (Ace 250), many from the beach areas, but also in a small park with a 1904 amphitheater and the old high school (closed for summer). Ran into a beautiful family of deer twice. Gorgeous and healthy. No jewelry found at all. Did fine a very old banjo tuning key..all clad by the way. The oldest thing I dug was a 1966 quarter. I found more quarters than pennies, which was cool. Also dug what's left of the old Chicago Cubs spring training field. Only found a quarter and lotsa trash. Still, there's lots of coins to be found everywhere, as long as you dont mind clad..

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clad pays for gas!

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions