Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Howdy folks, I've heard of a lot of people digging in rivers for historic relics at old ford and mill sites and digging for jewelry at touristy sites and now that I have a waterproof detector I want to do some 'tectin at several rivers. I'm so darn confused though about all the national, state, and local laws. There are a couple places I am thinking of along the Grand River in NE Ohio (considered to be a "wild and scenic" river or whatever) and a few of my spots are bordered by Ashtabula and Lake County metroparks (these park systems don't allow metal detecting without a permit). If I'm only detecting in the river does it even matter if there are parks on the sides? Is mding allowed in a "scenic and wild" river? Will anyone even care if there isn't a law specifically against metal detecting? I know I've asked a lot of questions already but how do you river hunters find sites to hunt?

OP
OP
Noah_D

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also, I don't think anyone would even care but even if metal detecting is a no go there they would just tell me to stop right?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
My hunting buddy and I have been hitting old river swim holes for several years during the warm months. I've scooped gold rings, silver rings, and quite a bit of spending change from those sites.

I wear a flotation device because those dark waters surprise you with the drop offs!

golddigger14s

Aug 14, 2007
Lawton, OK
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
ND you might want to post this in the OH state thread. Also depending on the state/county/city you can be fined and/or have your detector gear confiscated.

OP
OP
Noah_D

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ND you might want to post this in the OH state thread. Also depending on the state/county/city you can be fined and/or have your detector gear confiscated.
Yeah having my gear confiscated would be no good... thanks!

OP
OP
Noah_D

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My hunting buddy and I have been hitting old river swim holes for several years during the warm months. I've scooped gold rings, silver rings, and quite a bit of spending change from those sites.

I wear a flotation device because those dark waters surprise you with the drop offs!
Nice! I'm convinced my sites would have plenty of historic coins and relics as well as modern change and jewelry... Have you ever had any issues with people while river hunting?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Have you ever had any issues with people while river hunting?

No, none, zilch. The rivers we hit are not managed by any sort of organization = just old swim holes! Ya got a river near by? There's swim holes there dating back possibly many years.

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
I am in Michigan and a retired LEO. I wouldn't have a clue who would challenge me about detecting in a river or lake anywhere.

OP
OP
Noah_D

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No, none, zilch. The rivers we hit are not managed by any sort of organization = just old swim holes! Ya got a river near by? There's swim holes there dating back possibly many years.
Awesome! I would love to tell you about my spot but I don't want to give away too many details. I know for certain people have been fording, swimming, fishing etc. there for quite a while. I think I can even recall some of the older locals talking about spending time there when they were younger.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I would love to tell you about my spot but I don't want to give away too many details.

As you should be. But, think about it. Got my first detector while I was living in NE Ohio in 1983. Uh, could have hit your spots already over 30 years ago = plenty silver back then :)

OP
OP
Noah_D

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As you should be. But, think about it. Got my first detector while I was living in NE Ohio in 1983. Uh, could have hit your spots already over 30 years ago = plenty silver back then :)
That's very possible haha.

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any time you are in water it can be dangerous be it swimming, scuba, snorkel, floating on a tube, ect. I want to stress that safety measures be in place, this should include life vest flotation, scuba boots, rope and harness for currents and proper waders/wetsuit if you are in colder water. I wouldn't go alone into the water. Be aware of those currents. Pre check the bottom with a pole/rod and see what you are dealing with like depth, junk, muck, vegetation and rocks that your feet can get caught in. This isn't the same as a trip and fall on land, one mistake can kill.
Jon 8-) :cat::occasion14: :headbang:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, heed the warning. Depends on the river of course, but our rivers here tend to be dark water. I've been up to my chin and then my next step put me dunking. Certainly gave me a wake up as to the dangers. A flotation vest is an incredible life saving expense = don't leave home without it!

OP
OP
Noah_D

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do quite a bit of kayaking in the summer so I've got some lifejackets around here somewhere. I remember one time I was walking down the river it was only knee deep and all of a sudden it was approximately shoulder-head deep! If the river was actually flowing it wouldn't have been quite so fun...

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I do quite a bit of kayaking in the summer so I've got some lifejackets around here somewhere. I remember one time I was walking down the river it was only knee deep and all of a sudden it was approximately shoulder-head deep! If the river was actually flowing it wouldn't have been quite so fun...

On any water device being our past boats, kayaks, dingy the PFD goes on-before we go anywhere. The waters are cold from Sept-July and it doesn't take long to get into trouble. Once bit-I'm shy...

Best of luck on your river adventures Noah.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If i got public access and its a navigable waterway its fair game to me. Around National parks with historical significance etc common sense says its a bad idea. I find looking for general info online or verbally from a park ranger is fine but calling an office and asking ' can I..." will result in a " No". Its much easier for them to say no and be wrong than yes and be wrong. I've been to secluded state park swimming holes and talked to the park ranger. I showed him the trash, fish hooks and rusty metal I was picking up as he picked up garbage with a set of tongs. I never asked if it was ok to be detecting and he never said it wasn't. i just acted like it was the most natural thing in the world for me to be there. He wished me good luck and that was that.
Many of our parks with swimming spots are posted on land and online that you can't be in the water after 9am detecting. These spots are groomed each morning by the dedicated local lake detectorists and theres not ever any extra treasure to go around so I don't even bother with them because freezing in the lake at 6am is not my idea of fun.
Some of our parks on the rivers are National battlefields etc and are clearly posted " No detecting". These cannot be accessed by land especially through the park. You will be publicly shamed and humiliated. My thoughts are if I'm underwater detecting and no one knows I'm there, I was never above water with a machine or even headphones then did I even detect there? The dicey part is getting your gear back in the boat n paddling off. We have had incidents where detectorists have been yelled at from land while detecting 150 yards off a historical site. After not leaving the parks n rec ppl called the DNR, the DNR police came by boat and arrested them and confiscated their equipment. Then charges were filed, there were court appearances and public shaming. People give me weird looks when they see me swimming by their mansion docks or mega yachts , decked out wetsuit scuba/ snorkel sifter basket inner tube etc. They ask me what I'm doing. I either say I parked my submarine around here somewhere or I'm playing underwater polo. " I'm just playing through.' I yell. Then they offer me a beer and we get to chatting. I'm surprised how friendly the wealthy are when they are drinking on vacation. Or they say they're going to call the cops and I say "please do ,I think my submarine has been stolen."
Either way the crazy card usually works for me but with so many new coils every year I'm trying to rake it in before the next guy as covertly as possible without burning out our welcome. One thing I can tell you is I'd never guess how many guys are interested in moving rocks n dirt in a super nasty polluted river to retrieve 99% trash when they think theres a chance they'll find treasure. These same guys won't even dig that same amount of dirt to dig up a water main or even dig a post hole in the course of doing chores or to save a few hundred dollars.
I love water/ underwater detecting but it is dangerous. I've been swept out to sea and almost drowned but was rescued and had two friends in the past three years drown. Both were good swimmers in good shape. I've almost been run down by drunk boaters, hooked by fishermen, almost had my boat blow away or been close to stolen etc. Its no joke, anything can happen. If the water doesn't kill you the cold can easily. But whats living a safe sterile boring life? People ask occasionally if I am scared of sharks. I tell them I'm more scared of cars but I'll still cross the road.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my area this is what you'll see as you pull into the Public water access points.
you may find your area restricting as well . I guess if I were to launch a boat and detect away from the landing I might be ok.

These signs were put up because hundreds of people were coming from the city and having big parties , swimming , drinking , littering and crapping on the shore line. so now to enter these state owned public places everyone over 16 must buy a permit or a fishing license no-trespassing-sign-nhe-34485_brn_1000.gif

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any time you are in water it can be dangerous be it swimming, scuba, snorkel, floating on a tube, ect. I want to stress that safety measures be in place, this should include life vest flotation, scuba boots, rope and harness for currents and proper waders/wetsuit if you are in colder water. I wouldn't go alone into the water. Be aware of those currents. Pre check the bottom with a pole/rod and see what you are dealing with like depth, junk, muck, vegetation and rocks that your feet can get caught in. This isn't the same as a trip and fall on land, one mistake can kill.
Jon 8-) :cat::occasion14: :headbang:

teleprospector : GREAT ADVICE !!! Thank you for posting it. I myself just got certified SDI and PADI last September

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions