Metal Detecting so misunderstood after all these years

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sir what r u looking for, do u need money, what r u digging for, why r u making holes in the ground, JUST TO NAME A FEW. Prospecting been around for century’, however those r in mountains, hillsides, not populated areas so to speak where nobody sees you. In town , parks populated areas, we r like a mysterious figure of curious minds. Young or old some approach you which is welcoming asking questions. Can anyone give there opinion why we r still considered a mystery

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
On account of doing something different than others are doing.

Lying in the sun for hours on top of history makes little sense to me.
But does to many others.
I come along listening for peeps of the past I'm the one being different.

Mystery is the unknown.
Much of what people being "different" do is unknown. Even if done over generations.

Cleaning dandelion greens on a public area porch demonstrated that long ago.
But one gal knew what I was doing and approached all happy about it.
The rest? Never mind what I was doing was nothing new. It was simply different than thier experience.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My response is this guy with a shovel, what could he possibly be digging for not oil, planting a tree. This is different because someone is walking around with this wierd looking stick swinging it. In short older generations no , but younger people have no idea. History which isn't taught in schools LOCAL HISTORY excuse me. Thete whete people that lived here hundreds of years before us, that we forget, some lost valuable items i can go on most if u understand. Can someone enlightening the young people that the world isn't 200 years old. It matters.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My response is this guy with a shovel, what could he possibly be digging for not oil, planting a tree. This is different because someone is walking around with this wierd looking stick swinging it. In short older generations no , but younger people have no idea. History which isn't taught in schools LOCAL HISTORY excuse me. Thete whete people that lived here hundreds of years before us, that we forget, some lost valuable items i can go on most if u understand. Can someone enlightening the young people that the world isn't 200 years old. It matters.
Touching HISTORY Is a real thing.
To wonder about who held this last and what was life like for them…, something the current generation doesn’t consider much any more, unfortunately…!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When in the urban I was approached many times with many ??.
Exterminater, grave digging, weed walking, pollution detection, crime scene, radiation.
I would explain, and many times folks would offer me some money, which I'd say noo thanks. Then they'd bless me for working so hard for some change.

Head down, head phones, and a aura of leave me alone..

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Using headphones I’m not paranoid I like to no about my surroundings, I get to focused in a dam tree branch or dog or airplane could hit me, lol so I’m just saying

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to Lowes or any hardware store or the like and get one of those reflective vests city workers wear.Get some reflective tape too.Cut out some random letters like MSCS and place on the back of the vest.Everyone thinks you,re a city worker of some kind and dismisses you from their thoughts,they see them all the time. If asked,tell them you,re an employee of the Municipal Soil Cleaning Service,a non profit Company cleaning the area of old broken glass and metal.Have a few pieces of broken glass in your pouch to show them.Works every time. If you can,t dazzle em with brillance,blind em with BS.

RayHeezy

Mar 26, 2014
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to Lowes or any hardware store or the like and get one of those reflective vests city workers wear.Get some reflective tape too.Cut out some random letters like MSCS and place on the back of the vest.Everyone thinks you,re a city worker of some kind and dismisses you from their thoughts,they see them all the time. If asked,tell them you,re an employee of the Municipal Soil Cleaning Service,a non profit Company cleaning the area of old broken glass and metal.Have a few pieces of broken glass in your pouch to show them.Works every time. If you can,t dazzle em with brillance,blind em with BS.
I love the dedication

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sir what r u looking for, do u need money, what r u digging for, why r u making holes in the ground, JUST TO NAME A FEW. Prospecting been around for century’, however those r in mountains, hillsides, not populated areas so to speak where nobody sees you. In town , parks populated areas, we r like a mysterious figure of curious minds. Young or old some approach you which is welcoming asking questions. Can anyone give there opinion why we r still considered a mystery
It's normal anything new or different spooks the natives. Just like little kids, once they figure out the big scary shadow figure is just their hoodie hanging on the hook then their world is on an even keel again.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunting in the city one would assume I must be accosted all the time by people curious as to my activities but believe it or not nobody ever says a thing. My theory is the higher the population density the less people care, it's only when you're in the middle of nowhere minding your own buisness that a circus of people appears out of the woods with nothing better to do than follow you around with questions. 🤣

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunting in the city one would assume I must be accosted all the time by people curious as to my activities but believe it or not nobody ever says a thing. My theory is the higher the population density the less people care, it's only when you're in the middle of nowhere minding your own buisness that a circus of people appears out of the woods with nothing better to do than follow you around with questions. 🤣
Yep! Spooking da herd.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curious minds never bothered me it’s adults that seem clueless, did they just wake up from a 50 year sleep, really just saying folks , we aren’t violating any rules , permission you ask, public places ok other places ask,

OH..POPS

Dec 18, 2021
Medway Ohio
Detector(s) used
Pops old one
Garrett Ace 400
Bounty Hunter
Sharp Shooter II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Crash you my friend hit the nail on the head. The vest works . . . If people think your working they usually walk away. My vest is orange wear it all the time ! ! !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread