Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Bazooka Gold Trap 36" Sniper
Blue Bowl
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi yall,

I am looking into getting a MD, to go hunting with my father (who referred me here, as he's been a member for over 10 years).

He has a Bounty Hunter 505, and I would like to get something nice to take out with him.

I know that "nice" and "cheap" do not usually go hand in hand, but am looking to spend LESS THAN $200 on one, from Amazon.

The reason I want to buy it from Amazon is, I can get about $200 in amazon gift cards, with some of my bitcoin, and would like to use that to get into the hobby.

Mainly, we will be taking them out to the beach (tx) next month during my family reunion, and then using them in the hill country looking for interesting items from then on.

Any advice on what I should get, and why, would be GREATLY appreciated!

A couple of the detectors I've looked at, and liked, are as follows:

Amazon.com: Bounty Hunter Lone Star Promo Package: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Amazon.com : ACE 150 METAL DETECTOR TREASURE HUNTING PACK BY GARRETT : Hobbyist Metal Detectors : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Upvote 0

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007
go tesoro "compadre" and don't look back!
probably the "best damn "sleeper" in the world for less than $200.00

(h.h.!)
j.t.

OP
OP
B

B Street Blacksmith

Apr 16, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Blue Bowl
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I looked at those, but I have one problem with them...

I'm a computer and gadget geek, and the compadre doesn't have a screen of any type, so I would have to rely on the tones only.

I would prefer one with a bit more information on what I have hit on.

Not sure if it matters in the slightest, but I like the fact that my father's rig gives him an idea of what he hit on, before he starts digging.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing wrong with the Bounty Hunter series if your just starting out mate. Better than the Radio Shack I started out with. If your looking around you maybe able to score a used Garret 250 in your price range without any fancy packages. Nothing wrong with the 150 you seem to be interested in.
Don't worry about "cheap" is my thought. Its all in the operator.

OP
OP
B

B Street Blacksmith

Apr 16, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Blue Bowl
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cant wait to settle on one, and convert the bitcoin into amazon gift cards. I want it now, but have realized that I need to make sure I read a lot of advice and reviews before I jump.

Will love to have my own MD to take out with the old man, at the reunion, to see what we can find on the coast! Plus, I need a good hobby...... Bitcoin and computer games are fun, but I'm a disabled 32yo, so need SOMETHING to keep me active, and if I can find some "treasure" while doing it.

He doesn't play with his often enough, and I know that is because he doesn't have someone to go with him often enough. Something I wish to remedy!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've owned the ace 350 and it's ok. But here's the best machine ever made in the $200 range. I used this machine I got on a trade just a couple times and wow it was really impressive. Great audio, MULTPLE tones and adjustable iron audio. The Compadre is a single tone machine, and based on your comments you will not like thumbing a disc knob to figure out what a target is.

Teknetics Eurotek Pro Metal Detector
http://amzn.com/B00CPQFGN8

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard!

OP
OP
B

B Street Blacksmith

Apr 16, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Blue Bowl
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thats a pretty nice looking MD.

Lores

Apr 15, 2014
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro ACE 250 Garrett Pro Pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like you I am new. I just picked up a like new used Ace 250 for $100 off of craigslist.

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For $175.00 you can get a Bounty Hunter Time ranger. It has a bunch of features, but more importantly it is a very deep machine, accurate IDs, 3 tones and ground balancing in all metal mode. This was the former top of the line model for the bounty hunter series and ran about $350. This one is not a toy, although it is not as sturdy as a Tesoro it does not need to be. I have a Compadre 8" coil, 2 Teknetics Deltas new units, the Time Ranger is deeper than both. The only con to the time ranger is swing speed, must be slower as it is not a fast machine. However it will pay for itself in not time. Since you are a Techie i assume you will read the manual and understand the features as it it not as intuitive as some of the other units.

Amazon.com : Bounty Hunter TIMERANGER Time Ranger Metal Detector : Hobbyist Metal Detectors : Patio, Lawn & Garden

And the Eurotek Pro suggested up top is also one of the best buys for your money as well.

Last edited:

fmfdoc

Mar 14, 2014
Mc David, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For entry-level, I have been very pleased with the Garrett Ace 250. Even brand new, you can get it for 212.00. Used or demo, less....... Screen and multiple settings to play with. Pretty accurate ID. and a clear tone.
Batteries last a pretty long while, too. NOT suited for salt water or saturated sand, though..... Light-weight, and pretty darned sturdy, too!
You can always upgrade later, if you really like the hobby. I'm looking at the Pro or Gold, as I'm used to the Garrett toning, and differentiation of responses. My $0.02

OP
OP
B

B Street Blacksmith

Apr 16, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Blue Bowl
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For $175.00 you can get a Bounty Hunter Time ranger. It has a bunch of features, but more importantly it is a very deep machine, accurate IDs, 3 tones and ground balancing in all metal mode. This was the former top of the line model for the bounty hunter series and ran about $350. This one is not a toy, although it is not as sturdy as a Tesoro it does not need to be. I have a Compadre 8" coil, 2 Teknetics Deltas new units, the Time Ranger is deeper than both. The only con to the time ranger is swing speed, must be slower as it is not a fast machine. However it will pay for itself in not time. Since you are a Techie i assume you will read the manual and understand the features as it it not as intuitive as some of the other units.

Amazon.com : Bounty Hunter TIMERANGER Time Ranger Metal Detector : Hobbyist Metal Detectors : Patio, Lawn & Garden

And the Eurotek Pro suggested up top is also one of the best buys for your money as well.

And since my Dad's is a BH 505, I think I will probably get the Time Ranger. If for no other reasons than it looks like it has EVERYTHING I will need, and it is the same brand as the MD my dad swears by.

Should I look for anything special in the way of extras that I should buy with it to get me started on a good tack?

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah,check out Tesoro ,life time warranty,but if you want a screen to look at,try the Garrett ace 150,Happy Hunting.

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And since my Dad's is a BH 505, I think I will probably get the Time Ranger. If for no other reasons than it looks like it has EVERYTHING I will need, and it is the same brand as the MD my dad swears by.

Should I look for anything special in the way of extras that I should buy with it to get me started on a good tack?

A good quality digging tool, and a pinpointer, don't take a shovel to a park! Take a 14"x14" rag to put the dirt from the plug, and most important learn to properly cut plugs and leave no evidence of your work.

OP
OP
B

B Street Blacksmith

Apr 16, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Blue Bowl
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A good quality digging tool, and a pinpointer, don't take a shovel to a park! Take a 14"x14" rag to put the dirt from the plug, and most important learn to properly cut plugs and leave no evidence of your work.

Thanks for the advice! As for properly cutting plugs, I worked as a helper to the groundskeeper at a golf course for a month several years ago, so I've learned how to do that one.

OP
OP
B

B Street Blacksmith

Apr 16, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Blue Bowl
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ordered the Time Ranger!

It will be here around Wednesday.

Thank yall for all of your advice, and help!

foiled_again

Jan 29, 2013
DFW area, TX
Detector(s) used
CZ7a, Compadre (wader mod), Land Ranger Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it's exactly the same machine as the First Texas Titan 9000 that Kellyco sells. In fact I looked at the online manual for the Titan a while back, and it still said Time Ranger in the text.

OP
OP
B

B Street Blacksmith

Apr 16, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Blue Bowl
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think it's exactly the same machine as the First Texas Titan 9000 that Kellyco sells. In fact I looked at the online manual for the Titan a while back, and it still said Time Ranger in the text.

Is that a good or bad thing?

foiled_again

Jan 29, 2013
DFW area, TX
Detector(s) used
CZ7a, Compadre (wader mod), Land Ranger Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd say it's a good thing. Parts should be available if it needs to be repaired.. The TR was a top of the line unit so it should be pretty hot.

OP
OP
B

B Street Blacksmith

Apr 16, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Blue Bowl
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just got my Time Ranger today.

On the Bounty Hunter instruction manual, it shows the company as "First Texas Product L.L.C."

So it is no wander that they rebranded it as the Titan 9000 when they "discontinued" it under the Bounty Hunter name.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread