Metal Detector issue

jwbaker2

Apr 18, 2017
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings! I have an older Pioneer 202 that I enjoy using on occasion. Have thought about upgrade, but don't use it enough as is. Recently I was hunting on Galveston island and every time I swung my detector it would beep at the apex, both left and right. I've taped the cord to the detector shaft, but that does not seem to help. If I turn the sensitivity way down it shuts up, but I don't find much except beer cans (how do they get so damn deep?).

Suggestions?

Upvote 1

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If this is happening in the wet sand, it doesn't surprise me. Low end detectors don't handle wet salt well. If this is happening in the dry sand, it may be some mineralization causing some of it along with your swing method. There should be no "apex" on either end of your swing. you should keep the coil flat and at an even distance from the sand throughout your swing. Swinging like a pendulum is not much different than pumping the coil like you're going to ground balance it. With any black sand or mineralization, it will sound off.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread