Other
Upvote 0

Lee-MI-MI

Apr 3, 2005
Midland Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Fisher CZ-20/21
In no particular order:

1. Field changeable coils. Even for the water detectors.

2. Lighted screen or dial for night hunting.

3. Arm strap for upper arm. (At least one manufacturer does not include it.)

4. Any adjustable brackets should have nylon inserts in the nut to prevent them from loosening.

5. Plainly state the suggested impedance of the earphones. Many beginners get 8 ohm hi-fi headphones which are a very poor choice for most good detectors.

6. Water resistant control box and indicator.

7. Better dust seal of control box. Dry beach sand is very pervasive and will work it's way into the switches and potentiometers. Fine dust can coat the board(s) and may cause problems on damp days.

8. Provide a retained dust cap over the earphone jack to keep out dust and moisture while traveling. A small spring loaded trap door type with gasket seal is available to mount on the outside of the control box.

9. Lifetime warranty. All the good detectors are so reliable that all the good companies could do this except possibly Minelab.

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Consider ergonomics in the design. Some manufacturers do and some don't.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Wat about stainless steel or at least rust resistant headphone jacks and knob shafts for those detectors that don't have push pads.

Z

ZumbroKid

To just admit it is all stolen bounty hunter technilogy. ;)

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Offer your machines for sale in big box stores too.

Provide DVD for instructions on operation, and hunting tips. Or just more treasure hunting period.

Sponsor a metal detecting show on a TV channel most people can watch. White's sponsors a show on the Outdoor Channel 2 HD, but nobody gets this channel that I know of. Hence prospective buyers are uninformed of what it's about. With more spports becoming unavailable to most people, metal detecting provides a great hobby.

Truth in advertising! You can't have a detector that increases in depth each year. They would go over ten foot deep by now. An I give up after a foot deep anyway unless I think its a treasure chest. ;D

A good VLF water machine from Garrett that does not have a floating coil or at least has changeable coils like Tesoro and make the dang thing hip mountable for us seniors.

All these are doable except maybe the truth in advertising part.

Sandman

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Sandman256 said:
All these are doable except maybe the truth in advertising part.

Sandman

Extremely well put! There's no power like the power of strong humor!? This is especially so when the satire actually communicates fact.

Well done indeed!

Visionquest

Aug 2, 2005
Well, if we are going with the highly unlikely "truth in advertizing", I think these could be added to the list.

1. Built in GPS with a simple button to track locations.

2. Data link for downloading GPS info to your PC. Wireless would be nice.

3. A Digital on screen clock would be nice.

4. How about uploading screen savers so we could have dancing girlies or whatever on screen for those slow times. They could come on when no decent signals have been found for whatever time you choose.

On a more realistic note, I think it would be nice to see the software developers of the major players put out some decent programs for your PC to catalog finds etc. at no cost on a CD with maybe a backup manual for the detector in .PDF format.

greenswinger

Feb 17, 2005
ms
Lets be real guys !!!! How about a picture of dolly parton that pops up when you detect a silver dollar...........or a penny !!!!!!! ;D

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im on the same page as VQ!

junkdigger

Sep 15, 2004
clarkston,wa.
I'd say "Thank you TROY for the X5 !" Sadly that model is discontinued. Please,detector makers,make a water resistant,light weight,ergonomic,easy to use detector that will withstand hard use for those who can't find a Troy x3 or x5.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
As long as we are all dreaming here ...
......how about an extention ?rod...so that when I am detecting trees I can go further up!
or that can be extended into wells or shafts and caves ?....maybe they have those allready ?

How about one with a light on the end ,so I can actually see what I am probing at???

And one with wheels....like a riding lawnmower....yah thats its ....with a vacuum attachment ?so I don't even have to get off and pick the loot up... so then when I am searching public grounds ?no ?one would bother me...they would just think I am the groundskeeper...would need four wheel drive ?for rough going....and a snow plow attachment ?would be great ....and a coffeemaker attachment ...beer can holder ...and a trailer hitch ....also dear Santa .........blahh hahah hahaha

Visionquest

Aug 2, 2005
I do think someone should offer a weedeater graphics package and authentic sounds on cd or tape so we could avoid the annoying "hey. what ya doing" questions :)

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
gypsyheart said:
As long as we are all dreaming here ...
......how about an extention ?rod...so that when I am detecting trees I can go further up!
or that can be extended into wells or shafts and caves ?....maybe they have those allready ?

How about one with a light on the end ,so I can actually see what I am probing at???

And one with wheels....like a riding lawnmower....yah thats its ....with a vacuum attachment ?so I don't even have to get off and pick the loot up... so then when I am searching public grounds ?no ?one would bother me...they would just think I am the groundskeeper...would need four wheel drive ?for rough going....and a snow plow attachment ?would be great ....and a coffeemaker attachment ...beer can holder ...and a trailer hitch ....also dear Santa .........blahh hahah hahaha
ya mean something like this one?

Attachments

• future detector.gif
    future detector.gif
    91.3 KB · Views: 453

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Yep, but it takes 3 hands-one for the detector, one for the glass, and one dragging the darn keg around behind ya. Decisions--decisions---drink or dig! LOL
The other thing is there's always someone wanting to try it but not to find coins with. ;D

Matejko

Jul 18, 2005
Warsaw-Poland
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm V
Well...

I use White's Prizm V. There is no reason to complain.
But if I had an automatic remote controlled shovel, I'd be delightfull. ;D ;D ;D

Pozdrawiam Matejko

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread