Metal detectorist believes he has uncovered King John's 800-year-old lost treasure

garryson

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2007
Hungary
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
  • Raymond Kosschuk, 63, is '100 per cent certain' the treasure was King John's
  • He has spent the last 12 months conducting tests in a bid to track down the hoard
  • Raymond and farmer hoping to start digging out their findings in coming weeks
attachment.php

Read more: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ed-King-Johns-800-year-old-lost-treasure.html

Attachments

• 2c102c70-9df5-4a86-8ea5-e7448e2234f7.png
    2c102c70-9df5-4a86-8ea5-e7448e2234f7.png
    170.5 KB · Views: 333

OtakuDude

Apr 16, 2007
Monee, IL
"Using equipment he has designed to pick up anomalies in the readings of magnetic fields, Raymond has received strong signals for high-value items.

'When I gained access, I isolated an area of high-value targets and it tested positive for elements of gold, silver, emeralds, sapphires and rubies."

Just curious what kind of anomalies in the readings of magnetic fields gold, silver, emeralds, sapphires and rubies would give off...

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think that the archaeologists would want to participate in the recovery since he believes he has located the site of the lost treasure.

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola Amigos

Sadly personally I think his comments have shot himself in the foot. This is the classic example of some one with good intentions jumping the gun.

1. There was absolutely no reason for publicity until the treasure was actually found.

2. The artifacts he displays does not give conclusion proof even if correct time period being connected King John. It could of belonged to anyone in that time period?

3. Under the potable Antiquities scheme if you have physically found a hoard you have report it with in two weeks of discovery to potable Antiquities fields officer so they can professional excavate the site.

4. Since he had no done so or they do not believe his claims? Rings alarm bells?

5. Claims he discovers this by an unknown or unproven peer reviewed instrument with no clear technical evidence to me seems to discredit his credibility.

There are ways of going about these things amigos. He should of kept his mouth shut before he stared his excavations in few weeks time as the results may not be what he expects.What if his detected scanned treasure site turns out to old steel scrap? He has left himself open for ridicule on his credibility when there was no need to do that.

All he needed to was excavate and see what happens he even had permission from the landholder. Simple as that as that amigos. Many others in the UK have found treasure troves they never publicize what they think is there until they actuality find a treasure trove.

Kanacki

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On 2nd June this year it was reported that “he has been in contact with Lincolnshire’s Finds Officer and is also hoping to work with local archaeology groups”. Don’t hold your breath, though. This has been rumbling on for a while. He said originally that the “anomalies” were discovered “while testing equipment that I designed myself”.

On “The History Jar” discussion thread he said:

December 26, 2020:
Gpr is no good in these conditions depth penitration is very poor antt needs tobe under 20khz ——i have found the path they used its not were people think it is, also found a debris field with 3 high value pockets close test positive for gold silver and gems, other anomilies hundreds of horseshoes and other iron objects over 1 and 1/2 miles IN RECLAIMED LAND FROM THE WASH—now farm land found it 8th July 2020,trying to get access–farmer is very sticky

February 7, 2021:
I believe I have found parts of the lost baggage train — in the summer of 2020 I went on a hunt for the said above from Wisbech to Guys head—- I found a debris field disguised under a farmfield which was part of the Wellstream in King Johns day—- using modern technology scientific equipment related to that of Geophysics I found many hose cart and pony iron shoes—- notably three clusters of high value targets which tested positive for Gold silver and high value gems these are only found in one Field 60- 70 yards apart—-after more research I found what remains is 3 salt creek crevices which look like the blocking point where they crossed but it all stops a few yards away—- this is where these 3 high value anomalies lay in the ground—- it’s an ongoing project— due to covid 19 I will not progress until September 2021— I believe my field testing and data shows this is the real thing—- it’s based on science—-and it’s not where people have been looking but near Sutton Bridge North of the A17 in Lincolnshire—- let’s see what happens in September??

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like some kind of MFD molecular frequency discriminator.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bless his soul, the poor detectorist believes his equipment can find that kind of treasure,
even sorting out jewels as a separate reading, eh..?
The relics shown in the pictures, don't mean they are that many years old...!

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve had some success with this. It works by transmuting phlogiston particles into omega waveforms.

Detector.jpg

When I say ‘success’… I mean… well, I’ve found crystals. Lots of crystals. Four I think, to date... and I've only searched 20 miles of coastline.

I’d probably have found gold if I’d searched for longer but the battery pack weighs 1.2 tonnes and takes three days to reach full charge. The headgear makes me dizzy after a while too. I once wore it continuously for half an hour but everything went purple and all I could smell for a fortnight was onions.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ain't no '100 per cent certain' until it is dug up. So right there I am suspicious. The MFD type equipment especially with L-rods is not always accurate. He says he designed the equipment himself. Makes me think your basic frequency generator and L-rods.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We get a lot of these types here on T-net. Even the FBI gets their hopes up about ground scans, only to be disappointed in the end. Ground scans, even the best of them, give false positives a million times more often then they turn up pots of gold....

You haven't found Jack until it's actually dug up and in your hands.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Finding readings for horse shoes in sets of four, Raymond believes that there 'is no question' that his finds are compelling evidence that this is the treasure.

Because unless a horse is used to transport treasure it wears more of less than four horse shoes? :icon_scratch:

I'm missing the connection, I'm afraid.

One clear way to prove the claim. And only one.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because unless a horse is used to transport treasure it wears more of less than four horse shoes? :icon_scratch:

I'm missing the connection, I'm afraid.

One clear way to prove the claim. And only one.

I think his logic is that a group of four horseshoes found together means they’re from a working horse that died in situ and aren’t ‘thrown’ shoes. Since he claims there are multiple sets and in what would have been a ‘treacherous’ area of the former estuary, that ties in which his belief they’re not farm-related, but were part of the King John’s horse-drawn baggage train. Most accounts suggest it travelled along a causeway only usable at low tide and got caught by the incoming tide. There is however also some evidence for the existence of John’s regalia after that the journey, although what happened thereafter is not known.

Everything I read about this guy suggests that he tries to make the little that is known about the history of John’s treasure fit his observations… rather than the other way round. As far as I know, his ‘technology’ and geoscience ‘knowledge’ has not enabled him to make any ‘treasure’ finds in any area where he has employed it.

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think his logic is that a group of four horseshoes found together means they’re from a working horse that died in situ and aren’t ‘thrown’ shoes. Since he claims there are multiple sets and in what would have been a ‘treacherous’ area of the former estuary, that ties in which his belief they’re not farm-related, but were part of the King John’s horse-drawn baggage train. Most accounts suggest it travelled along a causeway only usable at low tide and got caught by the incoming tide. There is however also some evidence for the existence of John’s regalia after that the journey, although what happened thereafter is not known.

Everything I read about this guy suggests that he tries to make the little that is known about the history of John’s treasure fit his observations… rather than the other way round. As far as I know, his ‘technology’ and geoscience ‘knowledge’ has not enabled him to make any ‘treasure’ finds in any area where he has employed it.

It strikes me that his logic would conclude that if six horseshoes were found together that proves that the horse had six feet.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It strikes me that his logic would conclude that if six horseshoes were found together that proves that the horse had six feet.

I figure digging up HORSESHOES isn't illegal, right...?
How about horse BONES...?
....and, if something that glitters surfaces in the process, as well..., then that could be OK, too...? :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread