Metal Detectors for Beginners - Whites 5900 DI & 5900/DI Pro SI

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Re: Metal Detectors for Beginners - Whites 5900 DI & 5900/DI Pro SI

I don't know any of them but many favour the Garrett Ace 250.
Are you already addicted? if so go and get "a real" detector, don't waste your time on toys.
The Garrett LS would probably be great but can be hard to use for a begginer, look up Explorer Se/II These seem good "real" detectors.

Welcome!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The two Whites you mentioned are fine and not toys, but are certainly dated. They are also not the best for saltwater beaches in the wet sand. Dry sand, OK. The others mentioned are top of the line detectors an well worth the money. However you can do well with less expensive machines from the major manufactures.

If you are planning to get into the water, you'll need a full underwater detector like the Tiger Shark, Beach Hunter II, Fisher 1280, CZ20, or Excalibur 1000. The PI type like the Garrett LS are very deep, but you will dig deep for iron most times.

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT

I agree with Sandman. Also they are not made anymore so unless you can find a pretty good used one then they are out of the question. Better to get a new detector in this case. 8)

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that detector is still sought after today learn how to ground balance correctly stay in dry sand or wet don't combined the two, get a good scoop, be prepare to dig...how much did you pay for it care to tell. I've have one and it finds me plenty. they still fix them tony lee in Chicago electronic explorations is the place to send it if you have any problems. high power lines, and big hot rock it has a problem...it Ids on the dime best analog detector ever made. I found copper pieces down to 3 to 4 feet al ready your not going to do that with no ace two fiddy. I found lots with mine...I love it...

liftloop

Last edited:

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use the 5900, I would not trade it for a digital detector, I don't use it on any beech, but you won't be sorry to have the 5900. The only thing I find is it gets a little heavy after while, but you can alway rest, good luck.

donj

Feb 13, 2011
southwestern, va.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors CoRe, garretts gti2500, gtp1350 minelab 30 whites coinmaster 3 and a DFX300.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To answer the question no the 5900 detectors are not a good choice for a first detector the manual ground balance may confuse you before you really get started. Im not saying you couldnt figure it out but there are way more capable machines out there for less money. As stated above they are dated so you would only find a used one. the top detector manufacturers all make very good entry level detectors probably cheaper then the used whites 5900. They are excellent relic machines though.Don

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ace 250 or 350 will not let you down. Easy to learn, fun to use. Cut them on and basically go at it.

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
I also would not trade my 5900 for a different detector (I use mine mostly for relic hunting). That said, it has a very steep learning curve and I would never give one to a new detectorist to learn how to MD with. Something simpler will be better to start with. An ACE 250, Tesoro Compadre, or entry level White's is a good choice - Even a mid range Bounty Hunter will work. Note: None of these will work on wet salty beaches.

Join a MD club before you buy anything new so you can get hands on help from people in your area that are successfully locating objects that you are also interested in. MDing requires a lot of time to learn what your detector is telling you, an expensive detector may not find you anything if you don't know how to detect with it.

williamsingr

Mar 15, 2012
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT PRO, Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All machines have some learning curve to them of course the simple machines will take less time to learn but then you probably wont find as much either, personally I prefer the best of everything and then learn it like i know the back of my hand. If Im going to spend time learning something then its gotta be the best so I can do the best job i can do. I dont like to buying things twice either.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have used a Whites 6000/Di PRO sl bought it new the first yr it came out, i just traded for another detector that is much liter 6000 is to heavy for me now Swingy Thingy maid it liter but was to tied up for good digging.
The 5900 is a good machine and it can still run with the big dogs if, if it was Liter i would have never gotton ride of it Deep and Sweet.
Gary

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
get the 5900 and practice...

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its far easier to get a dedicated beach machine unless your just going to stick to the dry sand. If your hoping to find gold rings on wet salt then you can press the 5000 and 6000 models into service but there's drawbacks.
If GEB/SAT is used to cancel out the salt then your operating in all metal and will be digging more non productive signals.
GEB/DISC if used needs to be set to salt or a little higher but the higher you set it the more depth and finds that are lost.
TR DISC was all we had at one time and had the advantage of not being as speed dependant as the "motion" modes so you could detector fast or slow, whatever suited. Here the balancing of the salt had to be done by using the discrimination knob at or above the foil reject setting which again lost you depth/performance as for goild you really require the very minimum amount of discrimination you can bare. The other drawback with TR on any detector is it makes the machine "lifty" ie you have to keep the coil level to the soil or sand at all times or it will sound off.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

jwm45

Sep 5, 2011
south texas
Detector(s) used
,f-5,simplex 2.68: simplex + 2.78
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YEP,LIKE THE FISHER 1266X:happysmiley:

jwm45

Sep 5, 2011
south texas
Detector(s) used
,f-5,simplex 2.68: simplex + 2.78
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WELL, IF YOU HAVE PATIENCE:laughing7: BUT THE GARRETTS ACE 250, THE 350--HAS A D.D.COIL, FISHER 1266X,TESORO COMPADRE OR CIBOLA.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are responding to thread from 2007! The OP isn't even a member here any longer. I swear, why the hell do you people resurrect these threads. It's starting to feel the TNET version of the Walking Dead.

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
TDI SL 12"DF+7.5"DF, GMT, MXT All Pro, Whites ProStar Phones, Whites Bullseye II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are responding to thread from 2007! The OP isn't even a member here any longer. I swear, why the hell do you people resurrect these threads. It's starting to feel the TNET version of the Walking Dead.

There is a lot of good info in these old threads and it is helpful to those who know little about them, And I just bought one In perfect condition because it has never been used Still in it's original Box with the original manual.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread