Metal Working Site Day 34 - 2 Hammered + ROMAN SILVER...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was our last chance on this field as the Spring Wheat is at the height at which we agree to get off.
This has been by far the biggest grid we have ever attempted. We are over 1/2 a mile away from the Metal Working Site, & we were getting close to the modern road edge of the field.
I've been feeling a little off & I'll test tomorrow, but I knew this was an important last chance & something good was due.
We gridded for 5.5 hrs & got;

3 Scrappies
French Jetton
Celtic Bronze Unit (Coin)
Medieval/Tudor Buckles
Medieval Pilgrims Badge (looks like Tree of Life)
Bit of a Roman Bracelet
Roman Ring Bezel
Half of a 6th C AD Saxon Cruciform Brooch
Grotty Hammered Penny
Edward I Penny - Kingston-upon-Hull Mint - Scarce one I need 1299-1301
Silver Denarius of Crispina AD180-82, wife of Commodus - Reverse invokes the Gods of Childbirth (but there are no records of her having Children) - This is our first Silver of Crispina, only had bronzes up until now.

Great finish to this field.:icon_thumright:

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 26

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great recoveries, Crusader! Congratulations on the cool find! Thanks for sharing.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was our last chance on this field as the Spring Wheat is at the height at which we agree to get off.
This has been by far the biggest grid we have ever attempted. We are over 1/2 a mile away from the Metal Working Site, & we were getting close to the modern road edge of the field.
I've been feeling a little off & I'll test tomorrow, but I knew this was an important last chance & something good was due.
We gridded for 5.5 hrs & got;

3 Scrappies
French Jetton
Celtic Bronze Unit (Coin)
Medieval/Tudor Buckles
Medieval Pilgrims Badge (looks like Tree of Life)
Bit of a Roman Bracelet
Roman Ring Bezel
Half of a 6th C AD Saxon Cruciform Brooch
Grotty Hammered Penny
Edward I Penny - Kingston-upon-Hull Mint - Scarce one I need 1299-1301
Silver Denarius of Crispina AD180-82, wife of Commodus - Reverse invokes the Gods of Childbirth (but there are no records of her having Children) - This is our first Silver of Crispina, only had bronzes up until now.

Great finish to this field.:icon_thumright:

View attachment 2020405 View attachment 2020406 View attachment 2020407 View attachment 2020408 View attachment 2020409 View attachment 2020410 View attachment 2020411
So Cool!!! Awesome!!!! Congrats!!!!

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing how far from the main site still coins are coming up. Don't know how close the settlements in your area were, could you run into the scatter of the next site there? Crispina is a beautiful looking woman, you really couldn't imagine she's 1800 years old....

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing how far from the main site still coins are coming up. Don't know how close the settlements in your area were, could you run into the scatter of the next site there? Crispina is a beautiful looking woman, you really couldn't imagine she's 1800 years old....
We were following the high ground towards another known Roman area (although a small one associated with a hillside Spring). The other area was still at least a mile away but the modern Village was very close & blocked our advance. I don't known of any Roman activity in the Village, but I suspect there must have been some as its well situated in the landscape.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fantastic. love the roman silver

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a lovely crisp Crispina you got Cru, it's aways good to get a first.
Well done on the hammered also.
It'll be interesting to see what your totals would be off the this one site as it's been a producer of finds.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It'll be interesting to see what your totals would be off the this one site as it's been a producer of finds.
Cru'dad's GPSed Stats;
(Not every find)
This is the whole field. It includes Fan's Roman Site, Metal Working Site, 1 small Celtic enclosure, 1 large Celtic linear enclose & the big grid in no-man's land:

Presentation1.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread