• No

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Yes

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
Aug 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
still looking for clues here . . . this really seems like a strange stone, I did all the online tests, but none conclusively rule this rock out or definitively point that it is indeed a meteor. Any help would be great, we manage to chip out a piece, and did a little grinding and polishing as you can tell. Here are some stats:

1. Non magnetic
2. grey streak
3. 680.38 grams
4. 3.5” x 2.5” x 2.5”
5. Extremely scratch resistant
6. Non conductive
7. Seen falling from sky 40 years ago.
8. Found in Mexico on our land by our family six years later, in the same approximate area.

Thanks!!!

IMG_0357.JPG IMG_0362.JPG IMG_0363.JPG IMG_0365.JPG IMG_0367.JPG IMG_0368.JPG IMG_0369.JPG IMG_0371.JPG IMG_0373.JPG IMG_0376.JPG IMG_0377.JPG IMG_0378.JPG IMG_0379.JPG IMG_0380.JPG IMG_0381.JPG

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if it was seen falling from the sky, it kind of goes with out saying its a meteorite I would think? Unless someone tossed it in the air first and that would be a way for folks to see it fall from the sky.

You sure do have an odd looking what ever it is??? I voted yes, it is a meteorite on the poll

Attachments

• brain from space.jpg
    brain from space.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 745

Alchemy

Nov 30, 2006
Beautiful Burnett county, WI
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought all meteorites were magnetic.
Have you hung a magnet on a string to see if there is "any" pull?

Six years between seeing something fall and finding it, I'd have to ask how large is the land?
Thats a long time for the land to change (growth, rains, etc)

I had a 200 acre area in MI (public nature place) where I found a huge path triangle type divot in the earth, leading to a crater (like a half circle where it stopped).
I was convinced there HAD to be a meteor there, but I didn't find anything.
The only thing I could think was, someone else beat me to it (it was a big crater too)
\

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoa, that sure looks interesting can't say I have seen anything like that before. Post it on the meteor forum also.

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Iberville Parish, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max /
Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have u ever find out if the rock you found was a meteorite?
i have found one simular

Lets see it..
If its a meteor, its the strangest one ive ever seen. Looks like it could maybe be burned up space junk. no telling.
Has anyone taken this to be looked at by an expert?
Definitely a puzzler. What state was it found in?

filmiracl

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My opinion is not a meteorite. I'm not an expert, but in my opinion it's very strange you say it's non-conductive and non-magnetic -- that makes it not a metallic meteorite and it's clearly not a stony meteorite. It's either slag or some earthly rock.

warbike39

Nov 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All Meteorites are not iron and attracted to a magnet. Lunar and Martian meteorites are not iron and are not attracted to a magnet. People always think that meteorites are themselves magnetic but they're mostly just iron and attract a magnet. Cool piece for sure.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old post I know, but now revived.

Tuxtuac was an observed fall on 16th October 1975 so that would broadly fit with “seen falling from sky 40 years ago” but I don’t think it has any connection to this rock “found in Mexico on our land by our family six years later, in the same approximate area”.

I don’t see anything which suggests it’s a meteorite and it certainly isn’t a piece of the Tuxtuac fall, for which specimens had a typical chondritic texture with a pale matrix:

Tuxtuac.jpg
[Picture by Phil Schmitz in the Encyclopedia of Meteorites]

All Meteorites are not iron and attracted to a magnet. Lunar and Martian meteorites are not iron and are not attracted to a magnet. People always think that meteorites are themselves magnetic but they're mostly just iron and attract a magnet. Cool piece for sure.

That’s correct, and it’s not just lunar and Martian meteorites which have no little or no attraction to a magnet. But a meteorite having that kind of metallic appearance would most certainly be strongly magnetic.

(Tuxtuac referred to above but which has a very different appearance, was an LL5 chondrite (low total metal and low native metal). Some meteorites in that grouping can be sufficiently low in native metal that that have virtually no attraction to a magnet. Tuxtuac had an average bulk composition of 19.22% total iron including 1.8% native iron and would have only weak attraction).

dougachim

Jan 30, 2013
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
still looking for clues here . . . this really seems like a strange stone, I did all the online tests, but none conclusively rule this rock out or definitively point that it is indeed a meteor. Any help would be great, we manage to chip out a piece, and did a little grinding and polishing as you can tell. Here are some stats:

1. Non magnetic
2. grey streak
3. 680.38 grams
4. 3.5” x 2.5” x 2.5”
5. Extremely scratch resistant
6. Non conductive
7. Seen falling from sky 40 years ago.
8. Found in Mexico on our land by our family six years later, in the same approximate area.

Thanks!!!

View attachment 962723 View attachment 962724 View attachment 962726 View attachment 962729 View attachment 962731 View attachment 962733 View attachment 962735 View attachment 962736 View attachment 962737 View attachment 962738 View attachment 962739 View attachment 962740 View attachment 962741 View attachment 962742 View attachment 962743
Cut it and post a photo

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think all meteors are magnetic correct ?

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think all meteors are magnetic correct ?

No. Not correct. Most meteorites are strongly attracted to a magnet, some only weakly so, and certain less commonly found classifications have no attraction to a magnet at all.

However, any meteorite which has a metallic appearance or has any flecks of visible metal will always have attraction to a magnet.

What was originally posted is not a meteorite.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Red-Coat

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot to welcome the person to Treasurenet

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread