meteorite recovery from your homes downspouts?

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
meteorite recovery from your home's downspouts?

ok i am a little green and dont know much about meteorite hunting. that said i would like to ask a question. i have seen this method addressed in a few threads but i still would like to know more about how to do it.
i was reading about recovering small meteorites by putting some kind of box on your gutters downspouts. if anyone has ever done this please send me plans and photos of how i might build one and how it works. like i said, dont know much about this but i have always been interested in meteorites.
thanks
bryan
[email protected]

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Silvercop. Instead of putting the box in the downspout, use a scoop to scoop up the stuff under the end of the downspout. I have found hundreds over the years. You will find some too, but they are SMALL as in MICROMETEORITES. You will need a mineral scope or similar to see them. The stuff that is absolutely round and mostly shiney are the micrometeorites. Google up that word to get more info. TTC

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
Thanks guys...I just checked my downspouts..found a couple of interesting rocks..Art

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Don't really have to screen for them. Just look for them with a magnet. Anything smaller with glossy black outer crust and mostly circular formation likely. Reason for checking the downspouts is it is the most likely place to concentrate them.

scrapdoggie

Nov 23, 2007
Deland Florida
Detector(s) used
Ace250 Pro-Kellyco
That's really interesting, If meteorites in a concentrated area could equal a small amount of cash, That would make for an entire new hobby for me....Ha ha. I maintain properties for a living and surely will want to clean out the downspouts and search for magnetic pebbles and so forth. I'm going to read some more about this.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did this when I was a kid (about the same time as Terry, I think). I figured if there were big ones, there had to be small ones, and lots more of them.

It was cool.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread