Mexican Pocket AZ Gold Stash

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I would be interested in hunting for this one, I am in Flagstaff. If anyone is interested in getting together for a hunt, let me know and we can get out there and look. I saw a reference to this in Lost Treasure Magazine from 1990.

Have you ever searched out in Rogers Lake? I've made a few trips out there but it is tough because there are signs saying no metal detecting and no treasure hunting. yeah, can you believe it? It actually says "no treasure hunting" on the sign. Going in spring or fall helps though, versus the summer.

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have spent many hours at rogers lake...find the swing at Patterson spring yet?

the northern edge of the lake is either Navajo army depot...or private property that belongs to the ranch.

haven't seen the signs...haven't been out there in a couple of years though...

i should add...if you are on the northwest end of the lake...at Patterson spring...a bear lives in the area...this bear is a bit shy...but is in the area...

Last edited:

Toyota_Truck

May 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also live in N. AZ and am very familiar with the area. I've been out to where the cabins at Mortgage Spring are (reported as Mexican Pocket in the old papers) and metal detected fairly extensively. Aside from finding only a silver St. Christopher charm and cartridges dating to around the 1880's, I haven't found much. My Garrett hit something but I dug down to about 3 feet and gave up. I am going to go back with my new Xterra and try that same spot and a few others that look promising from a Google Earth perspective. When I was younger I would go out by myself but a little more cautious these days. Not easy Country but beautiful...hopefully still with all the fires going on. I'm interested in tagging along with others.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Pipp - any interest in going back out there for a day? ANy idea where the outlet is for the lake when it fills up? I Haven't walked all the way tot he NEC, due to the bear with a cub coming out of the woods in front of me that day, but was wondering if that is where the outlet is.

Toyota_Truck

May 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the chance to go to the Pumphouse wash area a couple of months ago...thought I would provide an update. There is indeed a washed out bridge as described and caves line the canyon walls. One of these caves went back about 20 feet and would have been a perfect place to bury gold in the soft dirt of the cave floor. Unfortunately my metal detector didn't pick up anything. There are other spots in the near vicinity that hold promise but the area is popular with camper/hikers and finding anything from the 1880's to verify this story and/or pinpoint a location would be difficult if not impossible. There are so many nooks/crannies and side canyons...one can literally spend a lifetime metal detecting this area alone. There were several stacked rocks...but hard to tell if they were from graves or from old camp fires. The walls of the canyon are steep and only a handful of places offer any method of bandits with horses getting down to the area. It makes sense they would go through Pumphouse wash though as this is one of the only areas horses can escape off the rim. Pumphouse wash is in an intermediate zone....off the high rim but still above Oak Creek Canyon. Perfect place for bandits to hang out for a while thinking they were undetected.

I have problems, however, with the story. Sure Perry Owens, Brogdon, and Jacobs were real figures. Heck, Brogdon and Owens are buried 100 feet apart from each other and, yes, I have seen their graves. But contrary to what is being reported, I have scoured all local papers (Sharlot Hall, Flagstaff Champion, Holbrook papers, etc.) for any mention of this incident and there are none. The only thing I can find of some relevance is an article on the Valenzuelo gang robbing a transport of gold from the Vulture mine.

I'm thinking either the gold has been found and unreported or the whole thing didn't happen--a story Pete fabricated. Granted, I have come across some incredible finds in and around this area--some of which date to the time period--but none of them are saddle bags full of gold coins.

If someone has an article talking about the shootout, I am all ears and will likely change my stance on the topic. Otherwise, I think a shootout of this magnitude occurring on the outskirts of Flagstaff going unreported? It likely did not happen.

Feb 21, 2015
Flagstaff, AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Flagstaff. It'd been a mild winter and I've got an abundance of time on my hands and my grandfather's metal detector. Who's up for treasure hunting?

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I live in Flagstaff. It'd been a mild winter and I've got an abundance of time on my hands and my grandfather's metal detector. Who's up for treasure hunting?

I am in late march. Heading for vacation for two weeks in March. When I get back though, it would be great. Which one of these would you like to hit?

Feb 21, 2015
Flagstaff, AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To be honest, I'm totally new. The pocket hunt has me a bit more interested due to the lack of no treasure hunting signs. But I'm game for anything!

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are referring to the one just southwest of Flagstaff. I live in Flagstaff also...I love to dig up a little history and enjoyed researching a bit about Perry Owens. He is buried in the citizens cemetery here in Flagstaff.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like it's east of 89A on a triangle between the switchbacks and the ADOT yard. I'm sure it's covered in snow right now, and will be muddy too. When things dry out I think I will have to go exploring over there. It's a beautiful area, so there will be no disappointments. Mary, you might be right, they might have hid some of the loot just below the rim of Pumphouse wash canyon. It's really deep and steep right there, so I doubt it would be in the bottom.

Rwelk

Mar 11, 2015
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd need a county and other names.... I can't find anything on this one, by this name. I've got tons of references to a bunch of mines, etc. down there. ???

Coconino county,Az

OP
OP
T

TokyoTerror

Tenderfoot
Nov 30, 2006
N. Phx AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab SovGT Pro
Minelab Eureka Gold
Recirculating Sluice
Dry Washer
Spiral Gold Panner
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. I started this thread 8 years ago and people are still interested in this. Has any one found any thing? Have the graves been found to validate the area? Anyone want to search the area with me? Hit me up.

Kuwanki

Tenderfoot
Mar 19, 2017
Flagstaff Arizona
Detector(s) used
Hitek Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi! First time here. From the above description, measuring from the Coconino County Courthouse, it would put the location at 35 deg 01' 57.06" N X 111 deg 43' 59.93" W. On Google Earth, this looks like the area described. Also, this is where the old General Crook Hwy went thru (and would have been in use at that time). There is also ruins of old cabins in Kelly Canyon and Mortgage Springs, nearby.

lesjcbs

Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Pocket dowsing L- Rods shown above. Whites Beach Comber, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II, Whites TM 808, Canon 350D EOS Digital Rebel XT DSLR Camera.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful area.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was there last November perfect weather and a beautiful place ..I kept looking for a rock formation like a pocket or similar..but the pocket is a word for PARK...and it looks like a park there still today..grass and large pine trees. The stashes were questioned by some people..I think there was truth to some of it....there may have been more found than the ones found by the sheriff - 2 or 3 were found for sure...that may have been all there were. I can assure you there are no gold coins within a mile of each side of the road. If you are there check out the road side rest/parking 1/2 mile south.....great Indian made wares for sale there...at the very end just past the restroom area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread