Mexico

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
Lost booty

Las Animas is the only thing i have for the area. A small beach inaccessible except by boat where sunbathers can relax in colorful beach chairs and choose from several rustic restaurants for Mexican fare. Snorkeling is popular in the gentle surf of this cozy beach. Indians tell of a killing at Las Animas, The Souls, was named for a pirate who was killed returning to his ship after he had buried his treasure somewhere along the beach. It was never found and legend has it that several ships have stopped there over the years and left things and than departed.

casahilo, you may be missing something. A lot of people have gone there
over the years on vacations. i bet the beaches would be a gold mine, a lot of stuff just laying in the water where people swam or around the outdoor restaurants. boomer

Attachments

• 2-1-15 All.jpg
    2-1-15 All.jpg
    449 KB · Views: 27
  • Tag.jpg
    Tag.jpg
    572.8 KB · Views: 18
  • Token.jpg
    Token.jpg
    417.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0488.JPG
    IMG_0488.JPG
    741.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0482.JPG
    IMG_0482.JPG
    878.9 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
C

casahilo

Mar 2, 2004
Bend, Oregon
Boomer
I am assuming that would that be Bahia De Las Animas and not Isla Las Animas. I had to do some smooth talking to "the boss" to justify the 1000.00 for an Excaliber 1000. I know she will approve the 20 bucks for the colorful beach chair. But, the 52,000 for a boat to get there might be a hard sell. I will add this spot to my list. Thanks for the info. How do you know this area? Sounds like you've been there.

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
mexico

never been there but while in mexico city, found a couple of books that has treasure stories on mexico. boomer

Attachments

• 20150217_181122.jpg
    20150217_181122.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
  • 20150219_182739.jpg
    20150219_182739.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find treasure,artifacts,or antiquities in mexico and you go to the filthiest,stinking foul jails on the face of the earth!! You have NO RIGHTS in mexico. You are GUILTY until proven innocent under their rotten judicial system.I have personally seen a 19 year old friend die in less than 4 months.Mining buddies ripped offf,by military,for mine,rv,all mining equipment,jeeps ,EVERYTHING but shorts,t shirt and shoes,I picked'm up at TJ. I could go on for hours about Lake Chapala,Puerta Vallarta,Acapulco horror stories.Go play,have fun in the sun,spend tourist cash,enjoy and survive!!Take care-John

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 15

indigo

May 22, 2004
Queretaro-Mex/Dallas-Tx
No quite accurate...

Hoser John said:
Find treasure,artifacts,or antiquities in mexico and you go to the filthiest,stinking foul jails on the face of the earth!!

Yes prissons here suck. But "the filthiest,stinking foul jails on the face of the earth!!" are Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo, and they are not in Mexico.

Hoser John said:
You have NO RIGHTS in mexico. You are GUILTY until proven innocent under their rotten judicial system.I have personally seen a 19 year old friend die in less than 4 months.Mining buddies ripped offf,by military,for mine,rv,all mining equipment,jeeps ,EVERYTHING but shorts,t shirt and shoes,I picked'm up at TJ.

Did you tried getting consular assistance? Probably not, otherwise, you would got your stuff back and long-stupid-worthless apologies from the police chief or whoever did that.

Hoser John said:
I could go on for hours about Lake Chapala,Puerta Vallarta,Acapulco horror stories.Go play,have fun in the sun,spend tourist cash,enjoy and survive!!Take care-John

Treasure hunting is risky and you are right, can get ripped off easly. It's just a matter of planning, and knowing the place. Get someone who knows how things work down here.

On the other hand, you can search in federal or state land without asking permission, you can claim the 50% of your "casual" findings in some else's land.

BTW did I mention that amount of gold you can carry while crossing the border is limited? If you ever plan to come to Mexico consider cashing your findings in the nearest big city, and take your money.

Another consideration you have to make is that every over 100 yr. item you recover might be of historical interest for the country and therefore, if you try take it out of the country, you'll be in trouble.

Is just a matter of doing your homework before.

Regards

jimf

May 23, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Hey Indigo, Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo are plush resorts compared to Mexican jails. You shouldn't believe everything you see on CNN. Anyway, I thought this was a treasure hunting forum, not a left-wing political forum.

indigo

May 22, 2004
Queretaro-Mex/Dallas-Tx
jimf said:
Hey Indigo, Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo are plush resorts compared to Mexican jails. You shouldn't believe everything you see on CNN. Anyway, I thought this was a treasure hunting forum, not a left-wing political forum.

You are right, this not a political forum. I don' t believe CNN nor your opinion about mexican jails, which suck but are far from being the worst places on earth.

Let's talk about treasures.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hello Indigo,

Thanks for your great info about treasure hunting in Mexico. You are very accurate in your assessment of working with the authorities. I have planned a similar expedition to Ecuador and your insights about Mexico apply verbatim there as well. If others choose to recklessly scour areas they have not planned ahead for, then trouble will most definitely be in store for them. The Ecuadorian gov't requires a 50/50 split for all antiquites found. You may prospect all the gold you want, but you better cash it in before leaving the country. It's a risk to smuggle large amounts out of the country - a risk not worth the price. Please don't be afraid to work with local authorities. There are some bad apples that make it hard to trust at all, but you'll find that they will help you more if you have planned in conjunction with them than if you ignored them to begin with.

Thanks again, Indigo. I hope to hear from you again sometime.

Darren in NC

Desertdigger

Jul 15, 2004
Wickenberg , AZ
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,Tesoro Lobo ST, Gold Bug ,Minelab probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
casahilo said:
Boomer
I am assuming that would that be Bahia De Las Animas and not Isla Las Animas. I had to do some smooth talking to "the boss" to justify the 1000.00 for an Excaliber 1000. I know she will approve the 20 bucks for the colorful beach chair. But, the 52,000 for a boat to get there might be a hard sell. I will add this spot to my list. Thanks for the info. How do you know this area? Sounds like you've been there.

I am wondering if you are refering to the Bahia Las Animas in Baja? if so you can drive to it, there is nothing there except a fishing village, lots of clams.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HOLA:? I have been liivng, mininng, and treasure hunting in Old Mexico since the mid 50's.? I have never had any serious trouble to date ???? I have explored the southern jungles between Mexico and Honduras. On one trip? I spent 6 months with a friend backpacking and living entirely off of the jungle while looking for Mayan Ruins, successfully I might add.

I have Explored the Barrancas of the Rios Yaqui, Mayo, Chinapas, and the Urique.? I sent most to this time alone with my mule, again no problems except for a few bandidios.?

I have lived with the Yaquii Indians for 6 years off and on looking for treasures in the Bacatetes, again no problems.

I have sucessfully relocated the fabulous mines of Tayopa, the only problems that I ever had was to come up with the tax money, hehhe. (no pay off yet).

Nope I have never had any serious problems in Mexico on the contrary, so why did your friends have trouble?? were they mining illegally??? If so they would be? in trouble in the US also.

As for taking any gold out of the country?? why?? you receive the same price in Mexico as in the US.

Incidentally the antiquitie laws in the US are extremely wierd and much more oppresive than in Mexico??

As for treasure in the North Western section,? just send me an em or? post in here , I have tons of stories.

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, but the point you two guys are missing is that the average white boy in Mexico can count on the "shake down" by folks who think of Americans as "cash cows". Unfortunately for Mexico, they have bitten the hand that feeds them so much that the average Joe American is afraid to venture across the border into this wonderful country. I'm sure both of you speaking up have features that allow you to blend in or know the language fluently enough to get you by without being "singled out". Me personally, I am extremely hesitant to go into a country where guns and crime because of the cartels and poverty have driven people to dangerous extremes. You might say, well yes, the U.S. has the same problems, but at least here if you do get into one of those problems they will presume you are innocent until proven Guilty and not the other way around. There's just no way around it in my mind. The laws are just too unfamiliar to me and I don't wish to jeopardize my life for a few bucks worth of treasure that could or could not be there. BTW, politics plays heavily into treasure hunting, so why ignore it?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coinshooter said:
Yes, but the point you two guys are missing is that the average white boy in Mexico can count on the "shake down" by folks who think of Americans as "cash cows". Unfortunately for Mexico, they have bitten the hand that feeds them so much that the average Joe American is afraid to venture across the border into this wonderful country. I'm sure both of you speaking up have features that allow you to blend in or know the language fluently enough to get you by without being "singled out". Me personally, I am extremely hesitant to go into a country where guns and crime because of the cartels and poverty have driven people to dangerous extremes. You might say, well yes, the U.S. has the same problems, but at least here if you do get into one of those problems they will presume you are innocent until proven Guilty and not the other way around. There's just no way around it in my mind. The laws are just too unfamiliar to me and I don't wish to jeopardize my life for a few bucks worth of treasure that could or could not be there. BTW, politics plays heavily into treasure hunting, so why ignore it?
I COULDN'T HAVE SAID IT BETTER MYSELF!

cedarratt

Nov 14, 2004
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Now now the key to Mexico is to stick to the tourist spots like Cancun. And if you do wonder off be sure to rent a cop. And never drive your own vehicle across the border. Mexico still has its problems but it is better than it was in the past.

paratrooper

Sep 20, 2004
Kingman AZ
As a truck driver in SO. CA. I spend a lot of time with Mexican truck drivers . Many of them have horror stories about the authorities trying to rip them off when they find out they are working in America . One guy told me that he had to pay $20 (US) to leave Mexico because he could not prove that he had been in the Mexican Army . Pure drivel but it was easier than finding another check point . A missionary that lived here BUT was from Mexico told me that when they brought stuff to orphanages there they had to have someone from the Gov't (Mexican) to supervise the crossing or the guards would insist on collecting a "tariff". There are many DOCUMENTED accounts of Americans being ripped off in Mexico . You don't have to believe it .

cedarratt

Nov 14, 2004
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Yes that is true I am not saying that stuff like that happens but in high tourist places it is safer for foriegners. Like Cancun. I did know a kid in high school that was Mexican (born in the US) that drove to Mexico for new years with some of his freinds and they got mugged robbed and there car stolen then stripped and almost didnt make it back. Personally I wouldnt go to Mexico. No offence but if I would rather go to San Antonio to the farmers market during Cinco de Mayo that is always a lot of fun and its a lot safer.

elkman13

Aug 24, 2003
Just sat on a court case. Lawsuit between RV owner and a man who used it to take a boat to Mexico for fishing trip. RV broke down boat came back on a flat bed truck. The boat could not go back over the border because no RV. A plea to the US and the answer "do what it takes." $1000 under the table and the boat could pass. I MUST AGREE MEXICO STINK!!!

B

brucepfen

elkman13 said:
Just sat on a court case. Lawsuit between RV owner and a? man who used it to take a boat to Mexico for fishing trip. RV broke down boat came back on a flat bed truck. The boat could not go back over the border because no RV. A plea to the US and the answer "do what it takes." $1000 under the table and the boat could pass. I MUST AGREE MEXICO STINK!!!

I can't believe what I am reading. I actually joined this forum just so I could respond to this tripe. I have been going to Mexico twice a year for the last fourteen years. I have been as far south as Guatemala, and I have spent a great amount of time in "non-tourist" areas. I have NEVER had a problem with either law enforcement or the local population. Bribes and shake-downs are kind of like alligators in the sewer-Nobody's ever seen one, but everyone knows someone who has...How do the over half a million ex-patriate Americans who call Mexico home manage to survive in such a dangerous and horrific place? It's simple-I am over a hundred times more likely to be Murdered, shot, robbed or be made the victim of random violence in Los Angeles than I am in Mexico. For every horror story you hear there are hundreds of stories of selfless generosity on behalf of the local people. To those of you who are afraid to go to Mexico I say you're right! Stay home and leave the thousands of miles of beautiful beaches; great fishing and wonderful year round climate to those of us who are not afraid to move out of our parents' basements and go experience life...

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have at it! If the Laws were different, I would consider going down there regardless of the crime (which probably isn't much different from here). Unfortunately bribery is a way of life in Mexico (I have even had Mexicans who live in Mexico tell me the same thing). And, you may have not had trouble, but the fact remains, you are GUILTY until proved innocent down there and that is a chance I just not willing to take under any circumstances. All it takes is one drunk person to run into you down there and you will be calling the American consulate from your jail cell.

ascary

Nov 10, 2004
mexico
you guys are all right about everything you said about M?xico. It stinks, it sucks, it?s a dangerous place to treasurehunt, etc., etc. ( je-je ) That leaves all the treasure hunting ;) for us.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions