Mica and Halite, I think...

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
All three pieces were part of an Old Timer's collection from southwest New York State, Erie County County area. This collection contained 1000+ pieces, most of which were common and/or broken as would be expected, but also included beautiful Meadowood cache blades with a detailed 'treasure map' of where the cache was found. I picked out the two pieces of Mica because I had read in Ritchie that mica was thought to have been used as a ceremonial object and could have been part of the cache. The other piece I think is a hunk of halite, but not sure. I just picked it our and tossed it in my 'pile' to purchase. Could it have been of special meaning to its owners?

Where did these Native American's get sheets of mica from?

mica.jpg

halite.jpg

Upvote 0

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It is still a common mineral and is found all sround the world. The uses are varied from automotive paints to cosmetics. The Hopewell and Adena cultures made ornaments & effigy's from it.

DaveSmith

May 26, 2020
western nc.....foothills
Detector(s) used
none
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NC has mica and it was used as glass at times. I had a heater that used fuel oil and the little window in the door was made of Mica. I have no idea what they would use it for.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread