Michigan Law State Owned Land - Not Parks ??

xdanthemanx

Oct 25, 2007
clarkston michigan
Detector(s) used
E-trac & XLT
I have detected all over the park areas i have had dnr guys drive by wave, stop and talk etc. if your not beeing destructive and leaving a mess you shouldnt have a problem, like a lot of rules and regulations they are there as selective enforcement so if the need arises they have the ability to remove you or stop you from what you are doing.
I havent been kicked out of a park area yet, on the other hand i am specifically talking about hundreds of acre sections that dont actually have the family picnic type areas.
the hunting areas are good there seems to be a lot of old homesites in these areas.
Most the time im in an area that isnt visible anyway..out of site out of mind.
I actually had a dnr guy show back up with a detector one night after he was off and ask for some help with learning...... which was cool cuz i figured we had the run of the place for sure.
Dan

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Where were the ground huggers when the CCC improved homesites on state owned land by plowing them under and planting red pines?? I have such a love for cellar holes....and it makes me sick when I search one out only to find it has been reduced to a parking area for would be recreationalists. Always unkept...garbage strewn around and the ever-present rotting corpses of deer. I only wish that Historical preservation had been a consideration in the 30s and 40s.

Greg-in-MI

Apr 5, 2008
I'm with you guys i have been doing a winters full of research and found several lumber camps I gave up on state land after that incedent up at mesick where a couple of guys desimmated a historic farm site, all of my best finds came from state land

tag0304

Jul 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I realize this is an old topic, but since it comes up while I was searching the answer to this I figured I would update my official response from the state. This is specific to state game areas, not parks.

"Thanks for the inquiry! Metal detecting is not allowed at State Game and Wildlife Areas.* These lands are generally purchased with Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration Act dollars – and that because of that, the recreational uses that are allowed at State Game and Wildlife Areas are somewhat limited.** Metal detecting is one of the activities prohibited along with geocaching, horseback riding, biking and several other activities.*"

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Developed areas within those confines are ok, developed areas on state park land are allowed, IE man-made beaches, playgrounds, campsites.

Key Word here is DEVELOPED AREAS

JasonJ

Jan 14, 2019
Bay City, MI
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett ACE 400
Pro-Pointer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I realize this is an old topic, but since it comes up while I was searching the answer to this I figured I would update my official response from the state. This is specific to state game areas, not parks.

"Thanks for the inquiry! Metal detecting is not allowed at State Game and Wildlife Areas.* These lands are generally purchased with Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration Act dollars — and that because of that, the recreational uses that are allowed at State Game and Wildlife Areas are somewhat limited.** Metal detecting is one of the activities prohibited along with geocaching, horseback riding, biking and several other activities.*"

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Necro-thread time!

^ As to that, I'd want to be presented with or be able to find the statute that explicitly states that.

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I've seen it stated in DNR "stuff" regarding their metal detector policy. This stuff was mailed to me by the nice lady that answered the phone at the regional DNR office.

I haven't seen anything with an MCL number attached to it, and it is not mentioned in "26.25-06 - DNR policies and procedures, Use of Metal Detectors on State land"

It does exist somehow. If you ran into a turd of an LEO, they could fling feces at you, but it might not stick.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I avoid known native sites.Of course. We know those are off limits to detecting here.
And am mindful of the the Archaeological Resource Protection Act of 1979 .

If I lost a hunting knife I might look for it with a detector. And have lost knives ,though have not pursued them years later with a detector. Found one out back a while ago some one else lost in the past couple decades though . l.o.l.
Equipped to dig anything and geared for an expedition looking like a treasure hunter is going to generate negative attention....

State and federal are two different entities. Not sure what the state is saying by federal funds cause federal regulations on state property...
Never asked for or had any issue at boat launches and hunting areas yet.
Lots of spent brass and trash though.

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Equipped to dig anything and geared for an expedition looking like a treasure hunter is going to generate negative attention....

This is why I go disguised as a middle aged, bald, half drunk, tattooed, fat guy in a wife beater, living in his truck,

Seems to be working so far

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
This is why I go disguised as a middle aged, bald, half drunk, tattooed, fat guy in a wife beater, living in his truck,

Seems to be working so far

Authority figures just don't seem to gravitate towards butt cracks on bums ,do they...?
Alright rookie , you're up! Get out of the car and go talk to him...L.o.l..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions