Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been doing a lot of digging lately with lots of clad and junk, but no real goodies. Frankly it has gotten a little depressing. Not enough to keep me home, but it has made the looking less fun. I was beginning to wonder if it was worth the effort. This weekend things changed. Yeah!

I went back to the middle school I started a while back. It was built in the 1950s so I have been expecting to find some silver. On this trip I did. In 5.5 hours of swingin the CZ21 I managed to find 119 coins with a face value of $10.33, a whatzit, another ball button, a kiddy ring, a key, a broken inflating needle, a Dream Machine token, a Mercury dime, a Chucke Cheese token, railroad spikes, bottle caps, some can slaw and lots of tabs.

9C3D102D-4962-4C9A-9FB0-F3BB679C08B8.jpeg

The dime is a 1917 S and is really nice shape.

80B94A97-1381-4EA9-8DB2-160F317844A1.jpeg

364FFC35-7F7E-4852-B6E9-51A3ECD278D8.jpeg

The ring is probably my favorite find of the day. It looks like an older style and was about 10 inches down which is deep for this school field. I think it’s cool looking, too bad it’s so badly mangled.

F6B8C330-8F14-467A-96F1-7546CCDE1456.jpeg

8F0FBA90-2E82-41F9-A0ED-CDEC25A855CD.jpeg

The ball button is the third one I have found here and all 3 have different backmarks. ( WATERBURY COMPANIES INC. with a star) Unfortunately all of them are newer ones. The bell shaped item is solid, no idea what it is.

EC4E5AFE-DC00-40D1-AF9C-9F34C4E6FE79.jpeg DFC4FB4A-DFF0-4368-B8E7-443BFA04C738.jpeg

I went to the second middle school and spent another 5 hours swingin the CZ21. This was only the second time at this school because it is not as old and I wasn’t expecting much. I was wrong!

It turns out this school is only about a half a block (as the crow flies) from the high school field. The high school is located on the site of one of 3 civil war encampments located in the city.

All total I found 94 coins with a face value of $5.21, a toy car, a cheapy ring with LOVE on it and a fang pendant, a modern bullet, a token, 3 civil war bullets, a gold ring, a game tab, other tabs, can slaw, bottle caps and other trash.

0151DB12-02D9-4D69-91B9-7C20A9884487.jpeg

The civil war bullets are all drops that suffered some minor damage during the school landscaping. 2 Williams Type lll and a .54 caliber minie ball, all about 8 inches down and scattered around the ball field.

54CF4ABE-A002-4DBC-B0D9-C8F165F91EC7.jpeg

The token is for the GOOD FELLOWSHIP CLUB, a Presbyterian men’s club founded in 1917. No idea how old this one is, but from the simple design it is probably no older than 1950. The tab is from a Pepsi game. It has a T on the underside and 904 on the top. The older pull off beaver tail tabs for Pepsi games also are marked 904.

084B5B7A-448C-4EC1-B6B6-EB5235B736DD.jpeg

I got a mid tone signal and I was sure I was digging another tab or small piece of can slaw. I cut the plug, pinpointed with the Garrett carrot and stuck in my trowel. Put the dirt on my bucket lid and saw the hint of gold mixed in with the grass roots and dirt. When I picked it up it was HEAVY. An interesting tree bark look design engraved with initials and a date. It has a round white stone and a triangle yellow stone. They test right on the border of sapphire and diamond. I’ll have to get my jeweler friend to have a look and tell me if they are diamond or sapphire. It is 14k and weighs 17 grams or .55 troy ounces. A real heavyweight ring. I have made contact with the school to see if we can locate someone with the initials in the ring so it can be returned.

81E6E463-BFB4-42E8-B015-12A957D46E73.jpeg

FE8DD493-FFB2-4060-AACB-484476C82F2B.jpeg

C22BC431-DE45-403C-9665-2A8FC1E91139.jpeg

What a difference a day makes. Too bad you can’t see the big smile on my face. This proves that digging the pop tab signals pays off. One of the local dealers pays 86% of melt price for gold and silver. At today’s price for gold that makes this ring worth $493 if it doesn’t get returned. Keep digging the mid tones folks. You’ll leave the ground cleaner (which make it easier to find better stuff) and you may just get a little richer.

Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 21

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That ring is unique, very nice

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been doing a lot of digging lately with lots of clad and junk, but no real goodies. Frankly it has gotten a little depressing. Not enough to keep me home, but it has made the looking less fun. I was beginning to wonder if it was worth the effort. This weekend things changed. Yeah!

I went back to the middle school I started a while back. It was built in the 1950s so I have been expecting to find some silver. On this trip I did. In 5.5 hours of swingin the CZ21 I managed to find 119 coins with a face value of $10.33, a whatzit, another ball button, a kiddy ring, a key, a broken inflating needle, a Dream Machine token, a Mercury dime, a Chucke Cheese token, railroad spikes, bottle caps, some can slaw and lots of tabs.

View attachment 1996517

View attachment 1996516

View attachment 1996518

The ring is probably my favorite find of the day. It looks like an older style and was about 10 inches down which is deep for this school field. I think it’s cool looking, too bad it’s so badly mangled.

View attachment 1996520
View attachment 1996521

The ball button is the third one I have found here and all 3 have different backmarks. ( WATERBURY COMPANIES INC. with a star) Unfortunately all of them are newer ones. The bell shaped item is solid, no idea what it is.

View attachment 1996519 View attachment 1996522

I went to the second middle school and spent another 5 hours swingin the CZ21. This was only the second time at this school because it is not as old and I wasn’t expecting much. I was wrong!

It turns out this school is only about a half a block (as the crow flies) from the high school field. The high school is located on the site of one of 3 civil war encampments located in the city.

All total I found 94 coins with a face value of $5.21, a toy car, a cheapy ring with LOVE on it and a fang pendant, a modern bullet, a token, 3 civil war bullets, a gold ring, a game tab, other tabs, can slaw, bottle caps and other trash.

View attachment 1996523

The civil war bullets are all drops that suffered some minor damage during the school landscaping. 2 Williams Type lll and a .54 caliber minie ball, all about 8 inches down and scattered around the ball field.

View attachment 1996524

The token is for the GOOD FELLOWSHIP CLUB, a Presbyterian men’s club founded in 1917. No idea how old this one is, but from the simple design it is probably no older than 1950. The tab is from a Pepsi game. It has a T on the underside and 904 on the top. The older pull off beaver tail tabs for Pepsi games also are marked 904.

View attachment 1996525

I got a mid tone signal and I was sure I was digging another tab or small piece of can slaw. I cut the plug, pinpointed with the Garrett carrot and stuck in my trowel. Put the dirt on my bucket lid and saw the hint of gold mixed in with the grass roots and dirt. When I picked it up it was HEAVY. An interesting tree bark look design engraved with initials and a date. It has a round white stone and a triangle yellow stone. They test right on the border of sapphire and diamond. I’ll have to get my jeweler friend to have a look and tell me if they are diamond or sapphire. It is 14k and weighs 17 grams or .55 troy ounces. A real heavyweight ring. I have made contact with the school to see if we can locate someone with the initials in the ring so it can be returned.

View attachment 1996526

View attachment 1996527

View attachment 1996528

What a difference a day makes. Too bad you can’t see the big smile on my face. This proves that digging the pop tab signals pays off. One of the local dealers pays 86% of melt price for gold and silver. At today’s price for gold that makes this ring worth $493 if it doesn’t get returned. Keep digging the mid tones folks. You’ll leave the ground cleaner (which make it easier to find better stuff) and you may just get a little richer.

Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.
Awesome!!! Congrats!!!

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That ring is unique, very nice
Thanks. When I take a close look on the inside I see flaws that make me think it is probably hand made and not commercially produced. To me it look like one of a kind. Stay safe and keep swingin.

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

View attachment 1996517

View attachment 1996516

View attachment 1996518

View attachment 1996520
View attachment 1996521

View attachment 1996519 View attachment 1996522

View attachment 1996523

View attachment 1996524

View attachment 1996525

View attachment 1996526

View attachment 1996527

View attachment 1996528

Very nice hunt. A wide assortment of relics and other goodies! Congratulations

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome haul and especially that ring, wowzers. That's why we love schools...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread