Milestone reached and also a first!!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those of you who know me or have seen my posts through the years know I have been hunting a park in my old hometown that I have affectionately called Seated Park. I started hunting there in September of 1996- finds that day were a 1906 Barber dime, 1929 & 1945 Mercs and a 1934 Washington quarter- not a bad beginning! Fast forward 35 Seated coins later to today, my 326th visit, and I needed 2 keepers to hit the 1000 milestone.

Not 10 minutes in to today's hunt, I nabbed a 1902 Indian- #999! Then came the first- got a very loud 33/34 signal on the Nox, pinpointed very shallow- can slaw or big piece of junk I'm thinking- what do I find- a pair of Bicentennial Kennedy halves- first time ever finding 2 halves in one hole.

Add a pair of 1912 wheats into the equation and, after 2 1/2 hours, I'm still one short. Then it happened- a repeating 18/19 about 6" deep- popped out an obvious small cent, but very crusty. Cleaned it for seemingly 4 - 5 minutes and I could finally make out the word cent, using a loupe.

Further cleaning at home revealed a VERY worn 1864 Indian- date is flat but readable and I couldn't care less about its condition- I reached #1000!!

Lots of years, lots of different machines, lots of holes, lots of wear and tear on my shot knees, but all of that is forgotten- I'll celebrate this one for the rest of my days!

Enjoy the pics and HH all!
Jeff

Attachments

• Number1000finds1.JPG
    Number1000finds1.JPG
    242.5 KB · Views: 128
  • Number1000finds2.JPG
    Number1000finds2.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 58
  • Number1000finds3.JPG
    Number1000finds3.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 46
  • Number1000finds4.JPG
    Number1000finds4.JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 45
  • Number1000finds5.JPG
    Number1000finds5.JPG
    159.3 KB · Views: 57
Upvote 34

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well that's certainly a milestone to remember, and a lot of visits.
That's what I'd call an old friend-a place that you know better then the back of the hand.
Query: How large is this park btw?

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those of you who know me or have seen my posts through the years know I have been hunting a park in my old hometown that I have affectionately called Seated Park. I started hunting there in September of 1996- finds that day were a 1906 Barber dime, 1929 & 1945 Mercs and a 1934 Washington quarter- not a bad beginning! Fast forward 35 Seated coins later to today, my 326th visit, and I needed 2 keepers to hit the 1000 milestone.

Not 10 minutes in to today's hunt, I nabbed a 1902 Indian- #999! Then came the first- got a very loud 33/34 signal on the Nox, pinpointed very shallow- can slaw or big piece of junk I'm thinking- what do I find- a pair of Bicentennial Kennedy halves- first time ever finding 2 halves in one hole.

Add a pair of 1912 wheats into the equation and, after 2 1/2 hours, I'm still one short. Then it happened- a repeating 18/19 about 6" deep- popped out an obvious small cent, but very crusty. Cleaned it for seemingly 4 - 5 minutes and I could finally make out the word cent, using a loupe.

Further cleaning at home revealed a VERY worn 1864 Indian- date is flat but readable and I couldn't care less about its condition- I reached #1000!!

Lots of years, lots of different machines, lots of holes, lots of wear and tear on my shot knees, but all of that is forgotten- I'll celebrate this one for the rest of my days!

Jeff
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

OP
OP
JeffInMass

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW ... 1000 Indian Cents - a day to remember for sure ! :occasion14:
Seems my verbiage may have been misleading- my 1000th keeper, meaning all the Indians, silver coins and others through the years. Total # of Indians is now 582.

OP
OP
JeffInMass

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That sounds like a really nice park you've found. Congrats on your 1000th IHP. Was it 1k from that park or in total from all the other sites you hit?
Seems my verbiage may have been misleading- my 1000th keeper from that park, meaning all the Indians, silver coins and others through the years. Total # of Indians is now 582.

OP
OP
JeffInMass

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well that's certainly a milestone to remember, and a lot of visits.
That's what I'd call an old friend-a place that you know better then the back of the hand.
Query: How large is this park btw?
The park is 57 acres, built in 1868. Seems my verbiage may have been misleading- my 1000th keeper from the park, meaning all the Indians, silver coins and others through the years. Total # of Indians is now 582.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the milestone :thumbsup:
But I'm having a hard time with your math....

Add a pair of 1912 wheats into the equation and, after 2 1/2 hours, I'm still one short.

Seems like the first Kennedy half should have been #1000 :dontknow:

OP
OP
JeffInMass

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on the milestone :thumbsup:
But I'm having a hard time with your math....

Add a pair of 1912 wheats into the equation and, after 2 1/2 hours, I'm still one short.

Seems like the first Kennedy half should have been #1000 :dontknow:
Yeah, seems like my verbiage was confusing. Very simple, I had found 998 of what I consider keeper coins in 26 years of hunting this place- those include Indians, silver coins, LC's and so on. Wheats and clad are not included. The 1902 Indian was #999, took a while but the 64 Indian was #1000.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The park is 57 acres, built in 1868. Seems my verbiage may have been misleading- my 1000th keeper from the park, meaning all the Indians, silver coins and others through the years. Total # of Indians is now 582.
Well that's what I kind of figured it was the # of total keepers.
The Kennedy Halves kind of threw me also.
Still from a 57 acre park that's a great amount of pouch keepers.
Congrats on the #1000 goal-geez 582 IHPs is an achievement that few get to see.

I hunted the 400 acre park in Toronto for yrs.
Just became a good friend to me, a keeper every 2 hrs was the average hunt.
No lawns at all in the last few years-just bush trails and ravines.
Still in 2008 I pulled 100+ silvers out of the park 28 I think were Fish Scales (little 5 cent close to a Trime size)

iAmMike

Oct 31, 2021
North Georgia, USA
Detector(s) used
MineLab Equinox 800, Manticore
Seems my verbiage may have been misleading- my 1000th keeper from that park, meaning all the Indians, silver coins and others through the years. Total # of Indians is now 582.
LOL, seems like everyone misunderstood you. Let me ask you this: out of 582 IHP, how many came from that park since you started detecting it back in '96?

OP
OP
JeffInMass

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well that's what I kind of figured it was the # of total keepers.
The Kennedy Halves kind of threw me also.
Still from a 57 acre park that's a great amount of pouch keepers.
Congrats on the #1000 goal-geez 582 IHPs is an achievement that few get to see.

I hunted the 400 acre park in Toronto for yrs.
Just became a good friend to me, a keeper every 2 hrs was the average hunt.
No lawns at all in the last few years-just bush trails and ravines.
Still in 2008 I pulled 100+ silvers out of the park 28 I think were Fish Scales (little 5 cent close to a Trime size)
I think I was still a little too pumped when I did the post- should've taken a few hundred breaths and gone a little slower! It is amazing when you have a location like this though, we've been fortunate!

OP
OP
JeffInMass

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LOL, seems like everyone misunderstood you. Let me ask you this: out of 582 IHP, how many came from that park since you started detecting it back in '96?
I almost wish I could pull this post and start over :icon_scratch::icon_scratch: Those 582 IHPs are just the ones I've found at this park- I've found 1229 Indians in my hunting career.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I almost wish I could pull this post and start over :icon_scratch::icon_scratch: Those 582 IHPs are just the ones I've found at this park- I've found 1229 Indians in my hunting career.
Nothing wrong with the post up, just shows that you still have the passion.
Getting to know now that you have one large collection 1229 is an achievement :notworthy:
It's one of my favourite coppers to pull out of the dirt.

park pirate

Gold Member
May 16, 2013
City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jeff
I thought for sure you were going to hit that 1,000 milestone when Ed and i were their. But it only took one more trip to make it happen congrats my friend.:icon_thumleft::icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread