🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Military Button?? P M Anchor Button

Old Soul

Tenderfoot
Feb 4, 2023
I found this Button\Snap at a site that is pre 1860. I have found coins dated 1844 and 1852 on the site as well as a small boot pistol barrel. it says p m on it with an anchor.
it does resemble a snap as it does not have a shank on the back of it. I do not know the material but it does have a little weight to it. Any ideas? Thanks all!
PS I found this in MIchigan.
67063347759__76DCC512-5960-432A-BF6A-43E374882888.jpg
IMG_6241.jpg
IMG_6242.jpg

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Could this be made of pewter? Cool looking. Nice Save.

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a real odd one, not a button, but no idea what it went on or period, so I'll wait & learn...... (suspect 20th C)

Upvote 1

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
My guess is that it is a yacht club item of some sort or perhaps a steamship related item. Not military though.

Last edited:
Upvote 1
OP
OP
O

Old Soul

Tenderfoot
Feb 4, 2023
Could this be a small drawer knob with the shank broke off?
I would highly doubt it, it has a circumference smaller than a marble. I know its hard to see from the pictures but you can tell it is some sort of 2 piece design. like a snap on the cuff of a dress shirt. I have thought of trying to find an owners name of the land on a historic map then taking that to try and do some military history on it but im not sure if it would work. I was hoping it was a Pennsylvania militia or some marine corps meaning.....

Upvote 1

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would highly doubt it, it has a circumference smaller than a marble. I know its hard to see from the pictures but you can tell it is some sort of 2 piece design. like a snap on the cuff of a dress shirt. I have thought of trying to find an owners name of the land on a historic map then taking that to try and do some military history on it but im not sure if it would work. I was hoping it was a Pennsylvania militia or some marine corps meaning.....
Doesn't look military to me.

Upvote 0

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps it's a cap badge from a Shipping/Merchant Marine, company? PXXXX Marine?

Last edited:
Upvote 1

DanMcG

Dec 29, 2022
Central NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett 300
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does anyone have an idea of what's going on in the circle I made? looks like a fish or something, not the usual neatly looped rope you usually see.
anchor.png

Upvote 0

ColtsPop

Oct 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are looking at a fouled anchor. This is a neat pin that copies a U.S. Navy style from the Civil War. In your case was used as the design of choice by a later group, certainly nautical, but not military. Perhaps police or Merchants. I expect it is 1920-1930.

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread