Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Military Medal: CSA Honor Cross? German?

Hey Gang,
I found this cross medal today in the same area that produced the 1894 Sambo Cap Gun, NC Staff Officer's Button (Indian Wars) as well as many Civil War relics. It is brass and measures 1 3/8 inches from top to bottom. I think it was a 2 piece cross, and the front of the top is missing. It is shaped like the Southern Cross of Honor as well as the German Iron Cross. Any help on what this could be would be appreciated. Thanks :) Breezie (The images will enlarge when double clicked.)
View attachment 623682 View attachment 623683 View attachment 623684 View attachment 623685

Last edited:

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a very interesting find Breezie. A war souvenir perhaps? You beat me today. All I had was melted lead, one .36 cal. ball, and a hoof pick. WTG, Q.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Breezie

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Q! I'm not sure if it is a WWI or WWII souvenir or not because the 'catch' looks older. I was also thinking it could be the something dealing with the Southern Cross of Honor? Hopefully someone will recognize at least the age of the business end. :) Breezie SouthernCrossOfHonor.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Breezie

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After studying this piece more, I think the faceplate is missing from the top area. I went back today to try to find the faceplate, but was unsuccessful. I also think the post in the back was either a stick pin or push pin type. I tried to photoshop the missing faceplate showing the 3 prongs that would have held it in place. Thanks in advance for any help or ideas, Breezie View attachment 624014
View attachment 624015

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread