Miller Table

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upvote 3
OP
OP
B

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Home made 4 years ago 2'x4' (pix. while in building process)
008.JPG
001.JPG

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you make a wide box for this mat you will have to get a much bigger pump to start with. However you can put way more material in the box at a given time. I recommend screening / classify to at least 100 mesh to start with. I think screening to 180 minus works better for flushing however no two people have the same values sizes and shapes of fines. You will have to experiment to see what works for you.

Last edited:

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As I stated in another thread I got lucky and bought 7 of these mats and 1 clear mat for around 1/2 of the going price as the mats were rejects and stored for a long time in there bent or folded shape. I'm in the process of slowing heating them to flatten them out.

I plan on putting them in a line at different angles to catch slightly different sizes as the material flows over them.

By the way I think these mats will work both wet and dry. I'm sure wet will catch more per amount. In my case I will be running hundreds of pounds over them at a time.

Last edited:

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Have not tested a little side to side motion yet on the above mat. I think it will spread out the material better so as to fill the mini channels better. Let me know if you try this out.
Thanks.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think no matter what surface you decide to use make sure it has little to no surface tension / is very wet able / little to no air pockets.

Any one use sound waves below the surface?
Any one use magnets below the surface?

OP
OP
B

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Search Google patents like I did, you might have more sucess than i had.

I tried that but couldn't find what I was looking for

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So many gizmos out there calling themselves a Miller Table...
Does anyone have a pic of the original Miller wave table?

It went out of production at least 40 years ago and I can't google a pic anywhere.
Where is Hoser John when I need him?
Pardon my ignorance but, what are the operational and physical differences between miller tables as regularly displayed on this forum and the type in question? If you have seen pictures of one was it possibly in a magazine or catalog? The internet itself is only about 40 years old so a pic would likely come from an old printed source or a relatively recent internet post.

Last edited:

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Pardon my ignorance but, what is the difference between miller tables as regularly displayed on this forum and the type in question? If you have seen pictures of one was it possibly in a magazine or catalog? The internet itself is only about 40 years old so a pic would likely come from an old source.
A smooth chalkboard surface is for the very fines or finishing step. Still useful for cleanup.

Having a few other steps will speed up the process and be a little more enjoyable. When in doubt change it up a little in the process.

Anyone use soundwaves in there process?

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Best to have a number of different surfaces for different materials.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
The only original picture I know of was a picture ( Miller Table )that was posted years back (somewhere??) and it was made of black slate with fine slits cut across the slate . and that was it . KISS was the ideology. I made a copy of it but sold it to a Show Me Gold club member in the K.C. Misery area. I believe it was used and passed around at the Dredge Earth First Rally in Oregon back in 2003 ( ? )

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The only original picture I know of was a picture ( Miller Table )that was posted years back (somewhere??) and it was made of black slate with fine slits cut across the slate . and that was it . KISS was the ideology. I made a copy of it but sold it to a Show Me Gold club member in the K.C. Misery area. I believe it was used and passed around at the Dredge Earth First Rally in Oregon back in 2003 ( ? )
Slate rock is very good for very fines. One can use a tile type saw to cut up the size piece you want.

OP
OP
B

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Russ, I was there at the DEF rally and yes, that is the one I am talking about. It was big, about 2'x4' and Grivy was using it a lot.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I remember there being an article somewhere I think it was maybe Popular Mining magazine about using a dredge box as a large Miller table.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I remember there being an article somewhere I think it was maybe Popular Mining magazine about using a dredge box as a large Miller table.
This would speed up the sorting process just because of a lot more surface area. I will take a much larger water pump to make it work

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
The key to making a Miller Box work good is to slow the water down with NO ripples in the waters surface , like a sheet of glass. And use a SMALL amount of a surfactant to get the fine gold to drop out of suspension. Just enough water flow to move all but the fine gold. It worked for me ! Lots of materials will work O.K. for the bed BUT slate worked best for me and I tried almost everything!

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The key to making a Miller Box work good is to slow the water down with NO ripples in the waters surface , like a sheet of glass. And use a SMALL amount of a surfactant to get the fine gold to drop out of suspension. Just enough water flow to move all but the fine gold. It worked for me ! Lots of materials will work O.K. for the bed BUT slate worked best for me and I tried almost everything!
Dead level for the glass smooth surface is very important. A slow process at this stage.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions