OP
OP
K

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
There is another small vein a bit lower in elevation that has small round stones in it like they may have been rolled around by water at one time. I was by myself and the ledge was a bit small to chance getting a pic of the mine on the left side of the pillar.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coo stuff Ken! I too would scrape the vein looking stuff and pan it or even better have it analyzed..most universities can do it.

OP
OP
K

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
Coo stuff Ken! I too would scrape the vein looking stuff and pan it or even better have it analyzed..most universities can do it.

I plan on having some samples analyzed. One never knows what might be laying in there without an analysis .

rgb1

Nov 24, 2013
s.w. Ohio
Detector(s) used
2 whites 1 garett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sample it in right way take samples from different places top to bottom take all samples mix together if possible split into 3 samples take one of these and split once more this will give a general idea if value is there ssend sample to reputable lab universaties are not usually not that accurate due to inexpearence if valuers are determined then you can take new samples lable accurately and then you will know if worth while only need to send couple of ounces as it only takes about 30 grams for assay ray grimmer labs is good and cheap he also has a-a available to confirm results of fire assay its about 50. bucks for both assays . great pictures . small vien would be a conglemorate formed by water movement this is found throughout eastern ky. and it usually has no values.

Last edited:

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first picture looks like a quarry cut to me, square like cuts and long lines make almost block like lines similar to what you would see on a bank along a highway. Interesting troth in the first two pictures, is there gravel at the bottom of it? Does water move through it naturally? The reason I ask, this could have been a _________ mine from the 1800s. Is it the same seam in third picture as in the top of second picture? Also, is the seam horizontal or does it look heaved and angled to one side? The pillar looks like it was picked at and possibly the left side too, the right side looks more natural weathering. Remember that back in the old days people would mine their own resources like lead, iron, salt peter and even exposed coal seams. They were dirt poor and did what they had to do to get by. I agree that you should get a sample of the exposed seam(s) of both areas and get an assay. Whatever it is or was, they didn't go very deep in their pursuits did they?

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
The first pic is one of the mines. The second pic is the pillar between the #2 mine and mine pic #1. Rumer has it that a local blacksmith mined iron ore to use in his trade. the3rd pic is about 30/40 ft. lower than the first 2 pics are . I wonder if the old smith might have been getting more than just iron for his trade. The bottom vein sparks more interest to me.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Reminds me of the old SOL MULLINS place, where he made "fake" coins ("pics" were shown). Think it was in Virginia, don't remember. Counterfeiting Solomon Mullins of SW Va., Eastern Ky., & WV. HH! Good Luck, & have FUN!

Last edited:

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first pic is one of the mines. The second pic is the pillar between the #2 mine and mine pic #1. Rumer has it that a local blacksmith mined iron ore to use in his trade. the3rd pic is about 30/40 ft. lower than the first 2 pics are . I wonder if the old smith might have been getting more than just iron for his trade. The bottom vein sparks more interest to me.

The third picture has the same lines and color that the second picture has on the overhead rock (above the opening). To my untrained eye I would say it is not a vein but a layered deposit of some sort. But who cares what I think! Have it checked out!

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take rgb1's advice ...believe me he know his stuff! I had him examine some silver ore and he found platinum in it too, and I wasn't even thinking of platinum....he is a great guy and has his own stuff to verify. Even been published in mine journal.

rgb1

Nov 24, 2013
s.w. Ohio
Detector(s) used
2 whites 1 garett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks curtis will be talking to you rgb1

OP
OP
K

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is a pic of tools much like Swift's crew would have used in their mining operation. Wish the other part of the auger would have been with the bit.

Attachments

• DSC00555.JPG
    DSC00555.JPG
    705.8 KB · Views: 245

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
MD & Handwand "CaveHunter"Hiker" SonyDigital SLR
Have you taken a metal detector up with you Ken. Swift mentioned finding the silver with iron and trace amounts of lead and zinc. If it were a metal the dectector would let you know. Swift said it was here that they found a metal that was not useful in the coining of silver but did help in the building of a furnace. Cool looking place.

OP
OP
K

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
No I haven't detected any of it. Don't get a lot of time to get out due to sickness in the family. Been doing a lot of studying of the geology of Eastern Ky. and geology in general and I'm convienced there are mineral deposits in e Ky. that is worth much more than the coal that has been taken out. Lots of it pushed over the hill to get to the coal in the last half a century.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
You have Swift owned property just North of Paintsville, I think it was about 10,000 acres.

Yeah I noticed that in the presentation. I would say he knew something about what was on/in the land, that would be my guess of that matter. I would like to see the survey on it, bet it takes in most of Paintsville Lake area. Just the same way that Dewey Lake takes in a lot of John's Creek. I know where there was a J S carving much like Ki,s avatar a short distance out of Paintsville. Suppose that might have been one of the corner markers on the indenture??

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread