000eee.jpg

000fff.jpg
000ggg.jpg

000iii.jpg

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I know where that area is located. They blew up a rock with a lot of "Welsh Coelbren" inscriptions on it. History lost. The Swift Mine is believed to be in the area. I have not got down there yet but I intend to. It is a protected site today by the Historical Society of Kentucky. They do not list the location on their website. They have a lot of confusion in the newspaper. It was not Christopher Mundy? It was Christopher Guest and George Mundy.

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was some old coins found to the NNW of this area. How many don't know? It only says old coins found.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Jeff, I have that article but never saw the pictures associated with it. More than a dozen claims in the Red River Gorge area over the years, I think I recall Boomer talking about this one...I believe he thought it was French in origin as there were no markings related to Swift near it.

This is the general area described in the article and by Boomer in a post. An Indian trace followed Indian Creek and through Wynn Branch. Link allows you to zoom and move the center of the map to get your bearings.

https://www.topoquest.com/map.php?l...nad83&zoom=8&map=auto&coord=d&mode=pan&size=m

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see there are a few you tube videos,
but not being personally familiar with the area, I have no idea if any refer to this mine

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Jeff, I have that article but never saw the pictures associated with it. More than a dozen claims in the Red River Gorge area over the years, I think I recall Boomer talking about this one...I believe he thought it was French in origin as there were no markings related to Swift near it.

This is the general area described in the article and by Boomer in a post. An Indian trace followed Indian Creek and through Wynn Branch. Link allows you to zoom and move the center of the map to get your bearings.

https://www.topoquest.com/map.php?l...nad83&zoom=8&map=auto&coord=d&mode=pan&size=m

The area has Swift's Initials and the date 1769.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see there are a few you tube videos,
but not being personally familiar with the area, I have no idea if any refer to this mine

If the opening is over the edge of a cliff, it certainly would be difficult to see unless repelling or using a drone in the area.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
The article and at least one reply....well, I guess I should be nice. I reside in Menifee County, 30+ years.

There are several types of documented "mines" in Menifee County dating as far back as the late 1800's. Coal, salt peter, sandstone, limestone and iron ore. The article implies that RM Freeland was mining silver.....a little artistic license?

There are no mines "a few miles south of Frenchburg". I suppose the definition of "a few" is open to interpretation. The Red River Gorge is close but definitely more than "a few miles".

There are no mines protected by the Kentucky Historical Society, the KHS doesn't offer "protection" to any site in Kentucky. There are a handful of National Historic sites in Menifee but all are of Native American heritage with the exception of the old College Campus.

Kentucky Highway 40 isn't remotely close to Denniston, West Liberty or Frenchburg. Perhaps the author meant Route 460?

In all of my years living in Menifee, I've never heard of a rock with Welsh writing nor John Swift's old stone house being blown up. One of my close neighbors was Vern Spratt, he was obsessed with the John Swift legend. He spent a lot of time and money digging (heavy equipment) all over Menifee County. I can't tell you how many hours I spent listening to him, he could recite the Swift journal verbatim.

God bless him and may he RIP but Boomer did on several occasions provide misleading information and at least on one occasion, manufacture "evidence".

One thing that I've learned about folks believing in and searching for Swift's mines is that when one stumbles upon a mine, it's definitely a John Swift silver mine. When "normal" folks stumble upon a mine, it's an iron ore, sandstone, limestone, coal or salt peter mine. My hat is off to all of you that believe and search but you'll never find the mine based on the disinformation and mistakes that have been passed down for generations.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The article and at least one reply....well, I guess I should be nice. I reside in Menifee County, 30+ years.

There are several types of documented "mines" in Menifee County dating as far back as the late 1800's. Coal, salt peter, sandstone, limestone and iron ore. The article implies that RM Freeland was mining silver.....a little artistic license?

There are no mines "a few miles south of Frenchburg". I suppose the definition of "a few" is open to interpretation. The Red River Gorge is close but definitely more than "a few miles".

There are no mines protected by the Kentucky Historical Society, the KHS doesn't offer "protection" to any site in Kentucky. There are a handful of National Historic sites in Menifee but all are of Native American heritage with the exception of the old College Campus.

Kentucky Highway 40 isn't remotely close to Denniston, West Liberty or Frenchburg. Perhaps the author meant Route 460?

In all of my years living in Menifee, I've never heard of a rock with Welsh writing nor John Swift's old stone house being blown up. One of my close neighbors was Vern Spratt, he was obsessed with the John Swift legend. He spent a lot of time and money digging (heavy equipment) all over Menifee County. I can't tell you how many hours I spent listening to him, he could recite the Swift journal verbatim.

God bless him and may he RIP but Boomer did on several occasions provide misleading information and at least on one occasion, manufacture "evidence".

One thing that I've learned about folks believing in and searching for Swift's mines is that when one stumbles upon a mine, it's definitely a John Swift silver mine. When "normal" folks stumble upon a mine, it's an iron ore, sandstone, limestone, coal or salt peter mine. My hat is off to all of you that believe and search but you'll never find the mine based on the disinformation and mistakes that have been passed down for generations.

I hear the old Vern Spratt farm has grown over now? Is that true or does anyone live there today?

rgb1

Nov 24, 2013
s.w. Ohio
Detector(s) used
2 whites 1 garett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1320 most information on swift today is falacies there is good info on all of E. KY soon i hope to finish my book when i do release it i only ask everyone to read with an open mind then go back and review i believe you will be suprized at what i have learned in my pursuit of truth of the ledgon i am shure most will not believe until you check it out i believe you will ask yourself how did i miss it ?

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I agree it is most likely not a silver mine or we would have heard more about it over the years. I generalize the RRGorge area as anywhere within 15-20 miles N S E or W of where Hwy 715 crosses the Red River below Sky Bridge. I did check into the hwy confusion. KY Hwy 40 used to go West to Frankfort but sometime in the 1940s much of it was replaced with US460 according to Wiki. The article was from the 1930s so Hwy 40 should have been correct for that time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentucky_Route_40

from the link above "KY 40 originally extended west to Frankfort. US 460 replaced the entire route west of Paintsville in the 1940s. Around 1980, it was moved onto a new alignment east of Salyersville, and KY 40 was extended back west. "

The probable location of the site the article discusses would be a drain off of Indian Creek that is roughly due West of Mariba, KY. (topo map below) shows caves and quarry.

PossibleMineLocation1936.jpg

Last edited:

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Thank you Ky Hiker, I stand corrected. I should have done some research before I started spewing. The article is dated 1936, the attached map is dated 1937. Clearly Rt 40 is correct. Notice the two mines (red circles). The mine on Rt 77 would be about (4 miles westward of Denniston. I haven't taken the time yet to see if one of them is the "quarry" on the topo map that you posted. Notice Indian Creek at the bottom of the map.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    316.1 KB · Views: 149

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
1320 most information on swift today is falacies there is good info on all of E. KY soon i hope to finish my book when i do release it i only ask everyone to read with an open mind then go back and review i believe you will be suprized at what i have learned in my pursuit of truth of the ledgon i am shure most will not believe until you check it out i believe you will ask yourself how did i miss it ?

Looking forward to your book. Please let us know when it becomes available and how to secure a copy.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Ky Hiker, after a quick glance at your topo map, I'm fairly certain that the quarry on your map is the same mine listed on the 1937 map (Rt 77). In a round a bout way, the location is "a few miles south of Frenchburg" as mentioned in the article. I believe the mine referenced in the article is the mine/quarry on Rt 77.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Ky Hiker, I stand corrected. I should have done some research before I started spewing. The article is dated 1936, the attached map is dated 1937. Clearly Rt 40 is correct. Notice the two mines (red circles). The mine on Rt 77 would be about (4 miles westward of Denniston. I haven't taken the time yet to see if one of them is the "quarry" on the topo map that you posted. Notice Indian Creek at the bottom of the map.

I think what is shown on the topo map is on East Fork of Indian Creek. The two shown on your old map are not along the East Fork...the one shown along 77 I believe would be near the CCC or Tarr Ridge Picnic area?...maybe further up 77 than that. I can't tell the scale though...

Last edited:

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
1320 although I tend to believe one who lives directly in the area about what may or may not be found there, I would like your opinion on the assay presented in this thread about a mine in your county. Thanks!
Yeah, I guess it could be forged but...

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/l...ift/641356-thought-i-d-share.html#post6596319

I actually got a pretty good chuckle out of that "assay". The first thing that came to mind was I've never seen a assay that wasn't on some form or fashion of official company letterhead, even those dating back to the 1930's. The second thing that caught my attention was the title "US Assayer". As far as I know, there have never been an US Assayers doing field work, I believe official US Assayers worked for the various US Mints, I could be wrong. The third thing that got my attention was just the generally sloppiness of the typing and structure of the assay, it looks to have been drafted by someone that didn't have very good typing skills. It doesn't pass the "professional" test.

I didn't pay much attention to the actual claims stated in the assay until I reread it today, if that were in fact an honest assay, the guy was on to something. However, a 100 foot vein of unknown depth may not have even been one ton of material. I don't quite understand why there are multiple assays of silver within the same assay report. I didn't pick it apart too much, maybe save that for a rainy day.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually got a pretty good chuckle out of that "assay". The first thing that came to mind was I've never seen a assay that wasn't on some form or fashion of official company letterhead, even those dating back to the 1930's. The second thing that caught my attention was the title "US Assayer". As far as I know, there have never been an US Assayers doing field work, I believe official US Assayers worked for the various US Mints, I could be wrong. The third thing that got my attention was just the generally sloppiness of the typing and structure of the assay, it looks to have been drafted by someone that didn't have very good typing skills. It doesn't pass the "professional" test.

I didn't pay much attention to the actual claims stated in the assay until I reread it today, if that were in fact an honest assay, the guy was on to something. However, a 100 foot vein of unknown depth may not have even been one ton of material. I don't quite understand why there are multiple assays of silver within the same assay report. I didn't pick it apart too much, maybe save that for a rainy day.

Two things to consider, First I have no idea what an official assay would look like from the 1930s when FDR was confiscating everyone's gold and silver and who was available to do them at that time. It was illegal to own certain precious metals during the depression as I recall from my high school American History class.
Secondly, it was my understanding that much of the material presented in that thread was someone else's previous research, maybe they typed from notes of original docs?...I don't know. It does call into question it's validity...but again I don't think those were claimed to be original documents. I was looking at it as far as face value vs. your comment about no silver mine in Menefee County and your thoughts, thanks.

Original Post quoted below

" Thought I’d share

Hope you all are doing well. About 15 years ago I got connected with a man named Worley Charles from Olive Hill. He had searched for the Swift Mines all his life. Anyways he allowed me to copy all his notes and stories. He recently passed a year or so back so thought I’d share a few things. Curtis and others interested in the Waybill will be interested in this first document. It is a contract for prospecting and mining silver on the Skaggs farm on Skaggs Flat which is right on top of the Waybill area. I’ll past some more things as I go through these notes. " E.C. Mason

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread