Minelab 600 or 800 on Price

johnnytuinals

Sep 24, 2018
POCONOS
Detector(s) used
1985 Bounty Hunter RB10,1991 Garrett Master Hunter CX3,2016 Whites V3i and a 2021 MineLab800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am about to buy a Minelab with my Military discount of 15%.
If I buy a MineLab 600 it will Cost around $550 without case(We do need a case with these}So in the end its $600 with No Tax and free shipping.
Now if I go with the 800 it will cost me $806 that's with a decent No name brand case with other freebees.
To me it only makes sense to spend $200 more if I buy the 800 for $806.
I wanted to buy the MineLab 600 for $550 buttttt I know I would need to get a Case for it.
So what do you good folks say should I go with the MineLab800 for $200 more?
Or should I go with the MineLab 600 and Save $200 butttt they will give you a Wireless Headphones with the Minelab 600 till the end of July?
Very confusing in what one to get but leaning towards the MineLab 800 Now........JT
https://texhomametaldetectors.com/products/minelab-equinox-800

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you plan to water hunt deeper then the control module then add another $160 for waterproof headphones. Also keep in mind that the wireless headphones also require the additional charging of the modem and headphones (I just purchased a set of Gray Ghost waterproof headphones with the coil cord to avoid all of this and since I water hunt to my chest area the wireless do me no good anyway.) You can use the supplied "toy" headphone cable with small pin jack but that toy cable is a real pain in the butt and the pin jack is susceptible to disruption by water invasion when submerged. As for machine features 600 VS 800, the 800 has the additional Gold Modes which can be useful as well in other pursuits besides nugget hunting, this mode also has a true threshold which isn't available on all of the other modes. But do you actually need it? Not really, just depends on what and how you plan to hunt. The 800 also has some other additional features but here again, do you need them? You can jump on Kellyco and click on the user manual tab to inspect each of the machine's specifications and features as well as review the manual beforehand to read about the various features and limitations of each model.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got a 600 - BUT, I don't qualify for the mil discount and the best price differential for me was $320 + tax. And yes, the wireless headphones are nice, especially after 40 years of being tethered to a detector.

IMHO, you could evaluate how you plan to use the machine and make your choice accordingly. If you have narrowed it down to one of these two only, why not buy Andy Sabisch's excellent Equinox series handbook now and read a far better discussion about the differences between the two models. Personally, I think you will get more out of Andy's book than out of the online minelab manual. He even sells them on eBay and will autograph a copy for you.

Good luck with your decision and thank you for your service.

OP
OP
J

johnnytuinals

Sep 24, 2018
POCONOS
Detector(s) used
1985 Bounty Hunter RB10,1991 Garrett Master Hunter CX3,2016 Whites V3i and a 2021 MineLab800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think a MineLab 600 is great but Most everyone I am sure will buy a carrying case for their detectors?(so add another $50 for the case}
My feeling I would like the save the $200 and go with the MineLab 600 but $200 is not much more and you are getting more features with the MineLab800.I have not been Gold prospecting in Calif and NV in years butttt cannot tell what any of us will be tomorrow lol.
Seems that Texhoma has the Best Prices with No Tax and Free Delivery..JT..........https://texhomametaldetectors.com/products/minelab-equinox-800

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used a variety of carry bags and hard cases over the decades. Most of the soft carry bags are fine for light vehicle transport and storage at home to keep from getting dusty or animal hair etc. The padding can be sufficient in some of these for minor bumps. Vinyl coated bags can work in a boat but the padding is also useful for protection from the shock of hitting waves, chop, etc. You would want a floating case if transporting by kayak or canoe (when I take out the kayak, I assume I'll be swimming at some point) or improvise with pool noodles or pipe insulation. Then you have backpacks which are nice for hikes because you keep your hands free. Hard cases are for more serious impact protection and are either custom made for the machine (XP Deus hard case for example - but read mixed reviews) by the manufacturer or customized by the buyer by picking the foam from inside a gun or bow case. The most expensive hard cases will be those that can withstand air travel. So, just as you choose a detector by what you plan to do with it, think about what your needs are in a case.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The way the control pod is mounted on an Equinox makes it hard to fit the fully assembled detector in a rifle case, even one designed for a scoped rifle, shotgun or black powder. Minelab brands a soft padded carry bag as an accessory that fits the Equinox.

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Fisher Research Labs F2, Equinox 600, Pro-Find 35, & Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get the 800, but not for that cheap carry bag.

That $200 difference isn't what you think it is. You could sell the wireless module and probably net anywhere from $50 to $70 (or so) after selling costs. So in reality, the difference is just $150 or so.

You could also sell the wireless headphones net another $60 to $70 (or so) after selling costs. So that brings down the difference even further. However, there's a special deal right now where you can get the 600 with free wireless headphones.

Indywar2

Greenie
Jun 27, 2020
Indiana
Detector(s) used
BH Quick Draw Pro, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure what your plans are that you require a case. I usually keep the detector in the back of my car for local hunts. I recently went on vacation to Florida and packed it back in the box it shipped in. Broke down quick, stored securely and safely, and reassembled quickly when I got there.

I think we have all had to go through the same debate /decision of 600 vs 800. At the end of the day is the $200 dollar difference better used on accessories or will you use the added features on the 800 ( especially with the promotion of included wireless headphones now running on the 600). There are some additional customization on the 800 that the 600 cannot perform. I have yet to use the gold frequencies, but have used some of the customization on the 800, that I didn't think I would use. The headphones are fine, but they are Bluetooth. I use them exclusively, but thought I would be more impressed with them the way people talked about them. I have yet to use the wireless module (plugs your wired headphones into it to create a "wireless" connection).

Finally, and not least, thank you for your military service.
Rob

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I personally wouldn't want to check a whole, put-together metal detector thru baggage handlers. I own several pristine detector soft cases though, some OEM and some from purchases of used machines where the seller was throwing in extras. Even though I've not used any for more that a few times over the years, I can see times I might, if I ever pack a car for vacation to the ocean or someplace.

I think you may have found your detector package. I said I would just get the 600, but I was really shopping for the 800 back when it was always on backorder, and went with the 600. The 600 has been wonderful. I would have gotten the 800 though if it had been available. I like buying just what I think I will get and never regret not having top of the line.

A few dollars here, a few dollars there, and all we are talking about it $200-$250. Buy what you want, really, and just have fun. That package deal looks to have everything a starter will want except for one thing. A GOOD pinpointer. There's another $100-$150. The idea of selling the WM08 and the factory bluetooth headphones has merit, but you don't need to worry now unless money will be tight after the initial outlay of $800. Just be aware that a good pinpointer trumps several of things that has been bundled it. You still would have needed the pinpointer with the 600 bundle.

In the end though, the 800 bundle looks to have everything I have wanted except the lack of a pinpointer. I bought the WM08 module and quickly found that thing just was not all it was cracked up to be, and it also doesn't have a "long hour of use" on it either. I got it for $70. The factory headphones, the ML80 Hps? They too are also over rated. Soggy signal tones, almost feels like BT 4.1, not 4.2 Low Loss headphones. I have them also, and have only a long hour using them also. I bought and use Tronds, same ergonomics almost to the last detail of the ML80 factory hps, but they cost less than half of what Minelab sellers ask, $139. The Trond HPs are crisp and fast.

You are full of options but if I was new and starting again, I would 90 percent go for your deal at $800 and just have fun today. The 800 will always have a good re-sale if it doesn't work out. Good luck whatever you decide.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally have found hard shell cases bulky and eventually got rid of all of them. I can put my detector in a carry on if I fly anywhere to use it, which is doubtful.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You might not get the bonus package if you use your discount.
I asked someone that offered the same deal awhile back and the extras were only if you paid the full price.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had a bunch of detectors in the last 50 years, never used a carry case. I have driven 200-5,000 mile trips with it in the trunk or back seat, never had a problem. I paid good money for a Minelab padded case for my Safari, have never used it. These things are pretty rugged, I think a case is a waste of money. Like said above, they break down to fit in regular luggage if you wish to fly with it. Buy the 800 and get hunting.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whether in a case or not, I try to pack something around a detector so it doesn't go flying in the first turn I take. In the old days, you could slide a detector in a carry case without making any adjustments, but with detectors like the Equinox with a control pod above a handle, the coil orientation is 90 degrees from the control so to fit into a bag, you have to shorten the lower rod and turn it 90 degrees so the orientation is the same as the control box, if that description makes any sense. A case can hide a spare detector in your truck from visibility when you are away from the vehicle, as when out detecting - but so can a blanket.

I'd probably only use a hard case if I had one that could be re-purposed. As others have stated, for air travel, you could use the original box and put it in a suitcase for check-in. N.B. I'm not up-to-date on the battery regulations in luggage. I think its too big for carry-on, unless you get the 3 piece carbon fiber shaft.

If you have to hike in, I'm thinking a backpack has a lot of appeal.

Last edited:

Cuda74

Jan 9, 2021
North Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec II, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the same dilemma on which one to get. I opted for the 600. I didn't think that I was going to utilize the upgrades that the 800 has, i.e. the dedicated Gold mode, etc. I did get the wireless headphone deal with mine and like Don, I'm loving not having the cord attached after having one with my original detector for so long. As was stated earlier in the thread, you have to decide how you're going to use it and if it's worth the extra money for you. No bag with mine either so that's something I'll have to pick up later.
Good luck and I'm sure you'll be happy with either one.

OP
OP
J

johnnytuinals

Sep 24, 2018
POCONOS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I ordered the MineLab800 Today
Cost with the Garrett Pro-Pointer AT with my 15% military Discount was $916.
But also Got the Free Bonus for $28 extra for the Shipping from Texhoma.Yep I could have passed
on the Bonus for the $28 shipping but I needed a Case and the few other things they throw in..........JT

Last edited:

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I own and use both. If you don't nugget detect or need wireless headphones. The 600 is just fine. If you water hunt as stated you have to buy different headphones for around $150. They can be used on land or in water. Either way your going to love the Knox

metalhead

Mar 24, 2012
York
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Sovereign GT
Minlab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a 600 and800 solid the 800 I really like the 600 I keep mine in heaven sleping bag in the back of the truck

Cuda74

Jan 9, 2021
North Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec II, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like a lot of the others, I had the same thought on the 600 vs the 800 and eventually went with the 600, mainly because I didn't think I was going to use the extra features on the 800 like the Gold mode. Mine came with the wireless headphones which I'm really enjoying. Like Megaladon, I was tethered to my old Tesoro with with the wired headset and I'm really liking not having that anymore.
So far, the 600 has been pretty awesome for me. Good luck and good hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread