Minelab 800 / 4500

REDOC

Greenie
Jul 31, 2014
CA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 /GPX 4500 /Etrac / Garrett Pro-Pointer & Carrot / Ace 250 & 350 / 6000 Di Pro SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man been a while since I posted here. But been still huntin. Ok I got access to some property that had a stream redirected recently. I have my trusty 800 but also have a GPX-4500 that I got from a guy who owed me $$ but have never really used it. So have some bedrock showing and gravel beds and such. Yes stiill wet 800 over 4500. Sooo real confidant with my 800 but should I really put the time in to learn the 4500 being that this access could maybe disapear at any time? THNX All!

Upvote 1

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to learn it sometime so the present is the best time to go for it.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you've already cleaned out other areas with the Eq 800, then don't bother unless you really want to learn the much heavier 4500. It is a better machine on gravel for depth with the right coils but it needs a willing operator. I would sell the 800 if it was me... but I've been using gp's for decades now inside old mines and in many places where the 800 won't work and mine has the small batteries and booster mounted to the detector. I don't use the old school heavy set up anymore.

leadnugget

Jul 29, 2006
arizona
Detector(s) used
gpx6000
gp extreme
gold monster 1000
nokta simplex
the 4500/5000 are not really a turn on and go machines.
there are lots of adjustments you can make.
you really should know what each switch and dial does as it will affect
the performance. what works in one place might not be best in others.
watch some videos for setting them up.
get some basic settings write them down.
there is a quick start reference in the instruction book bring it with.
being that you are confidant with the 800 bring that too.
have you found nuggets with the 800? do you have the small coil?
i had a friend showing me a 800 in the gold fields here and was impressed
with its ability in the ground here.
vlf vs pi. different beepers for different jobs is not a bad thing.
pi goes a lot deeper. how much trash in the area? the 800 with
iron discrimination could be handy.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If there's any depth or heavy mineralization/hot bedrock--the 4500 is always worth the learning curve. If you're short on time, get all the ground covered with the detector you already know well, then if any time's left over, hit the ground with the 4500 to find what you missed with the 800 (I assume you're talking about the Equinox 800?).

All the best,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions