Minelab and Coil Cable Dry Rot - DIY New Coil Cable Install

Thead

Jul 16, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
TDI Pro, Surf PI Pro, BeachHunter ID, Sovereign GT and Excalibur 1000 (my favorite)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Does the length of a new coil cable matter with respect to the performance of the Excalibur? I am about to attempt replacement of my Excalibur 1000 coil cable and I would like to shorten it from the factory length, if that will not impact detector performance.

Looking for feedback from the experts out there who have done this process multiple times.

Thank you for any helpful comments.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does the length of a new coil cable matter with respect to the performance of the Excalibur? I am about to attempt replacement of my Excalibur 1000 coil cable and I would like to shorten it from the factory length, if that will not impact detector performance.

Looking for feedback from the experts out there who have done this process multiple times.

Thank you for any helpful comments.
It is tuned to the length of the cable. How are you replacing the cable?

OP
OP
T

Thead

Jul 16, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
TDI Pro, Surf PI Pro, BeachHunter ID, Sovereign GT and Excalibur 1000 (my favorite)
Primary Interest:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
No it does not matter, unless your going with a very long cable. Sorry I missed this, hope I'm not to late. As you can see, no performance changes with my machine and I run 2 of mine as short as possible.

xcal 4.jpg

gpro (2).jpg

Also I had asked Eric Foster about this, he said only difference would be if you ran a very long cable would the performance suffer. He said running a short cable would not increase performance because the difference between stock and shorter, being only a few feet was not enough to change anything.

Sorry TH.. Minelab has said for years they were tuned to the machines .. Just like they said Disc depth is no different then All metal. I had a factory rep tell me that. He also said, Why would anyone want to hunt in All metal? lol....I save the message he posted, I find it I'll post it up.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OBN... Your setup is exactly like my #1... mine is stock sticker though.

Great minds think alike. :P

Although... my shaft length can go to 6. (err that sounded funky)

Reactions: OBN
OP
OP
T

Thead

Jul 16, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
No it does not matter, unless your going with a very long cable. Sorry I missed this, hope I'm not to late. As you can see, no performance changes with my machine and I run 2 of mine as short as possible.

View attachment 1985290

View attachment 1985291

Also I had asked Eric Foster about this, he said only difference would be if you ran a very long cable would the performance suffer. He said running a short cable would not increase performance because the difference between stock and shorter, being only a few feet was not enough to change anything.

Sorry TH.. Minelab has said for years they were tuned to the machines .. Just like they said Disc depth is no different then All metal. I had a factory rep tell me that. He also said, Why would anyone want to hunt in All metal? lol....I save the message he posted, I find it I'll post it up.

Nope - you were not too late. My machine is currently with Tony E. in California undergoing repair. I went with a much shorter cable length after reviewing some of your past comments on the subject and after consulting with Tony.

• Agree
Reactions: OBN

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tony has done all my mods too. I have 3 Excals with all different coils and cable lengths. Doesn't seem to affect anything at all. Tony will fix you up. He does good work. If you're not deep diving, get the pin point mod too.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tony has done all my mods too. I have 3 Excals with all different coils and cable lengths. Doesn't seem to affect anything at all. Tony will fix you up. He does good work. If you're not deep diving, get the pin point mod too.
Just repeating what Minelab told me 6 inches didn't matter much couple of feet did.....

OP
OP
T

Thead

Jul 16, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Got my detector back from Tony. It is "like it never even happened." Looks stock and the coil cable is now six feet long. Tony does incredible work.

Attachments

• Repaired Coil Cable.jpg
    Repaired Coil Cable.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 157

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread