Minelab E-trac Coil test

dirtdigger1581

Jun 18, 2011
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab Excalibur II 1000, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After receiving a couple new SEF coils in the mail the other day I decided to do a little air test with them to compare them to the Pro Coil that comes stock on the E-trac. Since the test was indoors I had to knock the sensitivity all the way down to 8 so as not to get any erratic beeping from any of the coils. I tested each of the coils under the same settings I use while field and park hunting. The settings are as follows:

Mode: Custom
Disc Pattern: Relic
Sensitivity: Manual
Manual Level: 8
Threshold Level: 30
Volume Limit: 30
Volume Gain: 28
Response: Normal
No. of Tones: Multi
Sounds: Conduct
Variability: 30
Limits: 30
Recovery Deep: On
Recovery Fast: Off
Trash Density: High
Ground: Difficult

I've attached a picture of the results of the test. You can see that the small 6x8 SEF loses a bit of depth on a number of targets where as the 12x10 and 12x15 gain depth on a lot of them. This is compared to the stock Pro coil. I would assume that the higher you can crank up the sensitivity the greater separation there would be between the SEF coils and the stock coil. But you can clearly see that there is an advantage over the pro coil.

Happy Hunting!

-Nate

Attachments

• Coil test.jpg
    Coil test.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 4,904

DeArmitt Pa

Jun 7, 2009
Johnstown, Pa
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The improvements are even better in the field. I use the 12x10 SEF on my E-Trac and it gets much better depth and target seperation than the stock coil. I use the quick mask feature and have my iron turned down to about 27 on "bad" sites and 30 on "good" sites. I am a Relic hunter and try to run as wide open as possible. This method has gotten me some fantastic results and deep too. An 1804 Half Cent at 11 inches while my hunting partner says "What signal?" He walked right over it and he had an E-Trac with the stock coil. I think it was both the depth and trash that made him pass it. All I can say is the SEF rocks :headbang:

OP
OP
dirtdigger1581

dirtdigger1581

Jun 18, 2011
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DeArmitt Pa said:
The improvements are even better in the field. I use the 12x10 SEF on my E-Trac and it gets much better depth and target seperation than the stock coil. I use the quick mask feature and have my iron turned down to about 27 on "bad" sites and 30 on "good" sites. I am a Relic hunter and try to run as wide open as possible. This method has gotten me some fantastic results and deep too. An 1804 Half Cent at 11 inches while my hunting partner says "What signal?" He walked right over it and he had an E-Trac with the stock coil. I think it was both the depth and trash that made him pass it. All I can say is the SEF rocks :headbang:

I gotta agree that the SEF rocks! I took the 12x15 to a field yesterday. I've hunted this field hard with the Pro coil over the past 6 months and things were drying up. With the new coil the depth is surprising! I pulled a coat button from the dirt at 14". Another button I found at about 8" and then I found a nice 1870 Indian on edge at about 9". I'm a believer in SEF!

goldeagle

Jun 28, 2009
THE EAST COAST
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,EXCAL-II
dirtdigger1581 said:
After receiving a couple new SEF coils in the mail the other day I decided to do a little air test with them to compare them to the Pro Coil that comes stock on the E-trac. Since the test was indoors I had to knock the sensitivity all the way down to 8 so as not to get any erratic beeping from any of the coils. I tested each of the coils under the same settings I use while field and park hunting. The settings are as follows:

I've attached a picture of the results of the test. You can see that the small 6x8 SEF loses a bit of depth on a number of targets where as the 12x10 and 12x15 gain depth on a lot of them. This is compared to the stock Pro coil. I would assume that the higher you can crank up the sensitivity the greater separation there would be between the SEF coils and the stock coil. But you can clearly see that there is an advantage over the pro coil.

Happy Hunting!

-Nate
HEY THANKS,but dont you think THRESHOLD LEVEL AT 30 IS A BIT HIGH?

OP
OP
dirtdigger1581

dirtdigger1581

Jun 18, 2011
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
goldeagle said:
dirtdigger1581 said:

Happy Hunting!

-Nate
HEY THANKS,but dont you think THRESHOLD LEVEL AT 30 IS A BIT HIGH?

That's just where it was after my last hunt. I was hunting near a road and the cars running by made it necessary to put it up higher. Usually run it around 17-22 though when it's quiet out.

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All that research and it boils down to a half inch to an inch and a half?
And air tests?
Seriously?
Nice graph and effort though. I will give you that. Seems hardly worth it from my perspective. :coffee2:

OP
OP
dirtdigger1581

dirtdigger1581

Jun 18, 2011
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CoilFisher said:
Seriously?
Nice graph and effort though. I will give you that. Seems hardly worth it from my perspective. :coffee2:

Half inch to an inch, yes...But keep in mind the sensitivity was set at manual and level 8. Crank that up to the mid twenties on a site that will allow and I imagine the results will reflect better than just a half inch. I did this test inside the day the coils came to me since it was raining outside. Maybe i'll try doing a test outside when the weather is good so I can crank up the sensitivity and see what kind of difference that makes. Thanks for looking!

-Nate

OP
OP
dirtdigger1581

dirtdigger1581

Jun 18, 2011
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CoilFisher said:
And air tests?
Seriously?

Oh, I forgot to mention that I did find a button with the 15x12 coil a couple days ago at 14". It was an iffy signal, but good enough to interest me. I've never dug a button that deep with the Pro coil...So I think there's some merit to the meager results on low sensitivity.

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dont get me wrong. I commend your diligence and effort.
We have all played around with air and soil tests.
But, what it tells me is just use any coil there and I will get the same result.

Maybe try somewhere where there is lower EMI and max sensitivity?

OP
OP
dirtdigger1581

dirtdigger1581

Jun 18, 2011
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CoilFisher said:
Dont get me wrong. I commend your diligence and effort.
We have all played around with air and soil tests.
But, what it tells me is just use any coil there and I will get the same result.

Maybe try somewhere where there is lower EMI and max sensitivity?

That's what I was trying to say in my previous post...That if you were to test the same coils in an area free of EMI and bumped the sensitivity up to near max levels, that you would see a sizeable difference in the detection depths. As stated in the last post I found a button with the largest coil at 14", something I've never been able to do with the Pro coil. So I believe the results in an EMI free zone with higher sensitivity would show results greater than just the 1/2" to 1 1/2" you are seeing now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread