Minelab Excalibur Problem

pamlicopanther

Feb 12, 2010
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur (Sword Model) Tesoro Cibola (With GB Mod)
I have an old Excalibur Sword model that has always worked flawlessly, but today it stated giving me problems. I had been detecting for about an hour and started working the waters edge about a foot out. Suddenly the threshold got very loud and out of control. After that started it would not stop. It will still pick up objects, but the threshold will not go silent. It will also cut on and off. turning the volume knob has no effect. Any ideas on this problem? I sure hope the board has not fried. They electronics did not leak and get wet because it was not submerged. Is it possible the coil could be leaking?

Thanks for any help or suggestions you have to offer.

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I have an old Excalibur Sword model that has always worked flawlessly, but today it stated giving me problems. I had been detecting for about an hour and started working the waters edge about a foot out. Suddenly the threshold got very loud and out of control. After that started it would not stop. It will still pick up objects, but the threshold will not go silent. It will also cut on and off. turning the volume knob has no effect. Any ideas on this problem? I sure hope the board has not fried. They electronics did not leak and get wet because it was not submerged. Is it possible the coil could be leaking? Thanks for any help or suggestions you have to offer.
I've had that happen several times with sand sharks! If it's super noisy the yes it's a coil leak! If it dries out for a long time it will stop and then repeat once it gets wet after being submerged again. Check the coil wire for cracks all the way up to the controls. You could send it to minelab for a new coil or install a new one. OBN here on T net can really help you out also! He is a wiz with them and has a great rep! Good luck to you! Post a picture if you could.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
also check your battery & connections.

OP
OP
pamlicopanther

pamlicopanther

Feb 12, 2010
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the information. I think it is the coil. I tried it the next day and it works perfect. I think it dried out and the problem went away. It has to be near the actual coil as it was only under a few inches. I am going to coat the coil with epoxy and see if that does the trick. If not, I have a friend who is very good at soldering. Worst case scenario I will get a new coil and have him hook it up for me. My understanding is Minelab will not work on these original Excals.

I actually had emailed OBN and he was a great help.

Thanks again for the help.

Last edited:

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the information. I think it is the coil. I tried it the next day and it works perfect. I think it dried out and the problem went away. It has to be near the actual coil as it was only under a few inches. I am going to coat the coil with epoxy and see if that does the trick. If not, I have a friend who is very good at soldering. Worst case scenario I will get a new coil and have him hook it up for me. My understanding is Minelab will not work on these original Excals. I actually had emailed OBN and he was a great help. Thanks again for the help.

Glad it is working out for you and yeah OBN is awesome!
If it's the sword model hang onto that coil!!!!!

OP
OP
pamlicopanther

pamlicopanther

Feb 12, 2010
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Mine actually has been changed to a Tornado coil. I bought it this way so I am not sure when and who changed it. It works great though (when it is dry).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread