AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
The easy answer is depends. It depends on what tone you are using mostly. I almost always find myself looking at the screen to confirm what I hear though, just old habit.
If you program it correctly, chances are if you get tone you should dig it anyway.

Salvager

Sep 4, 2006
Queensland, Australia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov. Elite / Explorer II
I use an explorer 2-but I think they are VERY similar.
Cryptodave is right in that you can progran it to only sound when you have the target area your after and as such don't need to see it. Bit if your like alot of people (me included) and like to back off a bit on dicrimination to let in other things the tones are easy to tell apart once you get the hang of it. Infact the thing basically writes a novel about the target every time. So much info-takes a while to understand the diference-but once you do it is AWESOME!

So summing up, you can use just tones and still get the info you need.

Hope that helped.

Have fun,
Salvager

OP
OP
rjw4law

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
this is all helpful...I have it narrowed down to the Minelab SE, Fisher F75 or the Minelabe Xterra 70....It gets complicated all have pluses and minuses for instance the SE is much heavier and smaller screen etc....Anyway the research continues.

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
rjw4law said:
this is all helpful...I have it narrowed down to the Minelab SE, Fisher F75 or the Minelabe Xterra 70....It gets complicated all have pluses and minuses for instance the SE is much heavier and smaller screen etc....Anyway the research continues.

Yes, but the Explorer is the only one out of the three with FBS.... But I have no experience with the F75 since it is too new to the market, and really if I was spending the scratch on the x70 I would just move on up to the SE.
The weight is not really that bad on the SE. If it bothers you too much they make slings for it to relieve the weight.
I'm not sure about the screen, its big enough for me to see and the x70 is just a numerical readout.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never used, or owned an Explorer II or SE ( YET ;D ), but I do have an Excal and it is hard to picture the SE being heaver then the Excal.

I use a sling on all 3 of my detectors all the time, whether they are waist mounted or shaft mounted. The difference between using the sling and not is like night and day. I read where some complain Explorer is heavy and wonder why they don't just use a sling. ???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread