Garrett AT Gold,
BH Land Ranger Pro,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Minelab Equinox 900,
Whites TRX,
Minelab ProFind 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was considering getting a Minelab Go Find 40 for my stepson. For a couple years he's followed me through pricker bushes, minefields of manure piles, miles of river hunts, just to take part in my adventures of non-splendor. He is almost 9 and is itching for a detector of his own. Does anyone have any input on the Go Find 40? I'd appreciate your thoughts :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
How old is your stepson? Just asking because he may outgrow the gofind's capabilities quickly.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, if he's willing to follow you through that.......he deserves a Deus!

OP
OP
Beezly

Beezly

Mar 20, 2017
Finger Lakes, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold,
BH Land Ranger Pro,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Minelab Equinox 900,
Whites TRX,
Minelab ProFind 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He is 9, I figure he'll outgrow it this season and if he still has interest he can have my land ranger pro next spring and I'll get an at gold. My wife said that's a very clever excuse :dontknow: He is a trooper, gets covered in mud and pinched by crayfish but still follows me everywhere. Definitely deserves to make his own finds.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got my boys Tesoro Mojaves. Inexpensive and they will still be able to use them as they get more experienced.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He is 9, I figure he'll outgrow it this season and if he still has interest he can have my land ranger pro next spring and I'll get an at gold. My wife said that's a very clever excuse :dontknow: He is a trooper, gets covered in mud and pinched by crayfish but still follows me everywhere. Definitely deserves to make his own finds.
With that kind of dedication he deserves something! The only draw back I can see is if he's that dedicated, won't be long before he'll be hunting circles around dad! :tongue3:

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I purchased one and I'm not impressed. It doesn't identify targets well, even within the simple target parameters. The pinpoint function is inferior for multiple reasons. The machine feels flimsy. The coil won't stay level. I acknowledge I've only put in ~25 hours on the go-find but I can't imagine concluding it's equal or greater than other good machines in the price/difficulty range.

A few positives... It's extremely light. It takes very little room to store. It is back-lit (I think). Bluetooth capable. It can be adjusted down small enough for kids 4 to 6 years old.

Recommendation - If you buy it, get some kind of coil cover. I'm not sure why but the coil looks really beat up with only ~30 hours on it.

Me (and my 9 year old daughter) would recommend one of the Ace series machines. I'd pay twice as much for an ACE 250 as a Go-Find 40.

OO

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Etrac- Sunray x5, x8, x12. Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't speak on the go find series.. But last night I was doing a lot of research on a cheaper model to buy and gravitated toward the eurotek pro. Seems like a great machine, VDI target numbers, big digital screen, fast recovery speed, good depth, consistent, discrimination, and an independent volume for iron audio targets. VDI numbers is really nice because with experience it gives a better idea of what you're target could be.
Teknetics EuroTek Pro Metal Detector | BigBoysHobbies

OP
OP
Beezly

Beezly

Mar 20, 2017
Finger Lakes, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold,
BH Land Ranger Pro,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Minelab Equinox 900,
Whites TRX,
Minelab ProFind 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You all make some good points. I was worried about the Go Find not being rugged enough for woods and creeks. I was considering the ace series and a few have suggested the eurotek pro. My issue with the eurotek is the buttons are like my land ranger pro. Recently the pinpoint button started failing and its very hard to press. I think the Ace 250 is what I'll get for him. Thank you for the advice everybody :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Beezly

Beezly

Mar 20, 2017
Finger Lakes, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold,
BH Land Ranger Pro,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Minelab Equinox 900,
Whites TRX,
Minelab ProFind 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hoping kellyco would have one as a bogo deal but no luck there. Could have maybe swindled the Mrs. into letting me get the at gold too :occasion18:

Corben

Jul 9, 2008
Sacramento
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000. V4
Garrett ATPro
Yes I just heard bad things about those cheap monelabs...I think a ace 150 would be perfect if ones to be found. any of the ace series from garrett would be good.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seriously give the Tesoro Mojave a look. Do a search on YouTube and you will see the Mojave being compared to an Ace series.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread