Minelab Manticore

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the XP Deus IIā€˜s taking performance exponentially to the next level, is the Manticore a rushed product in Minelabā€™s effort to remain relevant?

Garret has certainly dropped off the map in regards to performance.

Last edited:

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With the XP Deus IIā€˜s taking performance exponentially to the next level, is the Manticore a rushed product in Minelanā€™s effort to remain relevant?

Garret has certainly dropped off the map in regards to performance.
I certainly don't agree that Manticore was rushed to market. Their chief engineer says they worked 3 years developing this machine in a recent Youtube video.
Now I ordered a Deus II and returned it last week after my own evaluation of the machine. Here's my own conclusions as a software engineer of 40 years, who has worked with many highly technical subjects, manuals, and evaluations of computers and software.
I have several problems with this machine, manual and headphones.
1) it is too complex and complicated to really understand for typical user IMO
2) the manual is lacking IMO.
3) the charger connection position on coil is flimsy and could be easy to reverse. That could damage the coil according to what I read.
4) the multi-use, multi-function buttons on control pad add complexity and confusion for user.
5) the headphones barely fit my head and I'm not so sure they would not fall off in the field.
6) the control knob or puck on headphones is redundant and makes zero sense to me when you are sold a control panel that has all this info. And yes, I know it can come off and be used
without control panel. Again - makes no sense to me at all.
7) requires a flimsy antenna wire IMO to be installed before you can use water hunting. So much for 'wireless' claim. Guys that salt water hunt all the time are saying that antenna wire is rusting on them.

I was all sold on this machine, the hype, the more depth, all those gold coins supposedly being found until I got the machine and determined I wasn't going to use this machine for the above stated reasons.
One more thing, they added two more levels of complexity for the user - in making coil and headphones wireless. Now you have two more devices to remember to charge, two more batteries that can go bad on you, and two more reasons to have to return machine for battery replacement. I am frankly sorry to hear that Minelab followed suit with the Manticore's wireless coil and headphones.

I know those using Deus II will disagree. That's great! I not here for a 'tastes great, less filling' argument. But I hope some trying to make the decision will consider these things and realize this machine could have a huge learning curve for them - if they want to use anything but standard programs. Only time will tell how Manticore will fare against the Deus II. I can say this now that I have one, the Equinox 800 is a sturdier machine than Deus II (IMO) and I can walk right into water to use it without having to add a wire antenna, and the headphones will still work just fine.

Where I am at now, I need simplicity. That works for me.
The above is strictly my opinion. You may find the Deus II the machine of your dreams. I did not - enough said.

Adding some levity to this post, I guess the engineers at these companies must feel like this guy -

Attachments

• Dilbert12.jpg
    Dilbert12.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yet others have given the Deus II great reviews.

Of course personal preference plays a part in evaluations.

Perhaps Minelab found a better coil mounting method on the Manticore so one can be in the field hunting vs. waiting for a coil to be delivered?

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the Manticores coil is wired, not wireless. Just by looking at the pictures.

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yet others have given the Deus II great reviews.

Of course personal preference plays a part in evaluations.

Perhaps Minelab found a better coil mounting method on the Manticore so one can be in the field hunting vs. waiting for a coil to be delivered?
yes, agree opinions.
Well I just checked and Manticore DOES NOT use a wireless coil!
Smart move on their part. I mean you can take headphones off and still hear sounds through the control box but you cannot do that with a wireless coil unless you have another one readily available. To me that's a major pain in the ass to have a coil go dead due to lack of charge or battery dies. And these 3 batteries all have different usage times on Deus. Control box is 30 hours with headphones, 15 hours without headphones, coil is 12 hours in most modes, WS6 headphones is 14 hours. Equals more gotchas in the field. IMHO Again opinions.

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe the Manticores coil is wired, not wireless. Just by looking at the pictures.
yes, you are correct - I just checked. Thanks for pointing that out.

eddie13

Mar 19, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ā€œthe Equinox 800 is a sturdier machine than Deus II (IMO) and I can walk right into water to use it without having to add a wire antenna, and the headphones will still work just fine.ā€

The EQ is sturdier?
With its breaking coil ears, flexy shaft, and poor waterproofing?
Hmm..

The EQ headphones will not work when the detector pod is just a few inches under water.. The signal does not go through water..
Water will also ruin the EQ headphones..

If you are out of warranty on an EQ I would think twice about taking it in the water..

I have never touched a deus II, but if itā€™s true that the EQ is sturdier, more rugged, more reliable, then sheesh..
That thing must be awfully fragile..

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My detecting partner in CA. has both the NOX 800 and the Deus ll. After over 200 hrs on the NOX he felt it was a pretty good machine and easy to operate. Then he bought the Deus. Now after almost 6 mos. on the Deus, he has no need for the NOX. He says he is finding stuff he has no idea how he missed it with the NOX.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Minelabā€™s effort to remain relevant"? ROFLMAO....
1663107380028.gif

OP
OP
S

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One cannot use the Equinox with the coil ears snapped off...just saying.

Waiting for Calabash Digger's review of the Manticore.

His reviews are honest and intuitive. Clearly showed the Equinox was clearing lacking in regard to the Deus II.

The Manticore is obviously Minelab's attempt to compete with the Deus II's features and performance.

Competition is a good thing...

eddie13

Mar 19, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just hope the manticore has target ID as good as the Etrac if not as good as the CTX 3030, and it looks like it is going to try..
Canā€™t remember if it had target tracing like the CTX or not..

Does anything else out there compete with that at all?

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been "serious" about detecting now for over a decade and have owned somewhere around 40 detectors including most of the latest and greatest from that time period. Now, personal preference is a huge part in anyones opinion of any machine. I passed on the Deus 1 after several test runs based on what i found to be an overly-complicated menu and poor target ID....although it was impressively deep in most soil and very fast with great unmasking abilities. The Equinox was much easier to use and a true multi frequency detector. The Deus 2 is exactly what i wished the Deus 1 had been. True multi frequency, much easier to navigate menu and possibly the best target ID at depth out there, rivaled only by the CTX.... People mistake light weight for poor durability sometimes. The D2 is as durable if not more than most other machines on the market. Garrett has very durable machines but they come at heavier weights and poor ergonomics. The Manticore...? Only time will tell what this detector holds. But i expect it to be very good coming from Minelab. Wired vs wireless coils??? I dont know....there are good and bad in both. I do like the cheaper price of wired coils, but i like several benefits of wireless also.

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MINELAB EQUINOX 800 IRON NAIL SEPARATION in the real world!
"O" My metal detecting! An absolutely astonishing find pulled from the ground! One incredible hunt! Check out @13:45 in video.
And this one reason why Minelab has a solid fan base.

Minelab created the first true multi frequency detector over 20 years ago. They were the first to do so as far as I know, and I predict the Manticore will blow the Deus II out of the water in depth and high target finds. I'll just sit back and laugh as the same people hawking the Deus II - will suddenly be rushing to buy a Manticore.

I'll continue to watch 'The Hoover Boys' and 'West County Clegg' on Youtube using Minelabs and finding some amazing things.

Gold Noble worth 4800 British pounds or $USD 5,527.69
Simply Stunning! Greatest Gold Discovery of my Life!
a compilation of gold finds by Cleggy
see @10:10 in video

Best Day EVER!!! My Gold Coin Go's Under The Hammer In LONDON
see @11:00 in video for actual auction

Last edited:
Reactions: Sal

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I certainly don't agree that Manticore was rushed to market. Their chief engineer says they worked 3 years developing this machine in a recent Youtube video.
Now I ordered a Deus II and returned it last week after my own evaluation of the machine. Here's my own conclusions as a software engineer of 40 years, who has worked with many highly technical subjects, manuals, and evaluations of computers and software.
I have several problems with this machine, manual and headphones.
1) it is too complex and complicated to really understand for typical user IMO
2) the manual is lacking IMO.
3) the charger connection position on coil is flimsy and could be easy to reverse. That could damage the coil according to what I read.
4) the multi-use, multi-function buttons on control pad add complexity and confusion for user.
5) the headphones barely fit my head and I'm not so sure they would not fall off in the field.
6) the control knob or puck on headphones is redundant and makes zero sense to me when you are sold a control panel that has all this info. And yes, I know it can come off and be used
without control panel. Again - makes no sense to me at all.
7) requires a flimsy antenna wire IMO to be installed before you can use water hunting. So much for 'wireless' claim. Guys that salt water hunt all the time are saying that antenna wire is rusting on them.

I was all sold on this machine, the hype, the more depth, all those gold coins supposedly being found until I got the machine and determined I wasn't going to use this machine for the above stated reasons.
One more thing, they added two more levels of complexity for the user - in making coil and headphones wireless. Now you have two more devices to remember to charge, two more batteries that can go bad on you, and two more reasons to have to return machine for battery replacement. I am frankly sorry to hear that Minelab followed suit with the Manticore's wireless coil and headphones.

I know those using Deus II will disagree. That's great! I not here for a 'tastes great, less filling' argument. But I hope some trying to make the decision will consider these things and realize this machine could have a huge learning curve for them - if they want to use anything but standard programs. Only time will tell how Manticore will fare against the Deus II. I can say this now that I have one, the Equinox 800 is a sturdier machine than Deus II (IMO) and I can walk right into water to use it without having to add a wire antenna, and the headphones will still work just fine.

Where I am at now, I need simplicity. That works for me.
The above is strictly my opinion. You may find the Deus II the machine of your dreams. I did not - enough said.

Adding some levity to this post, I guess the engineers at these companies must feel like this guy -
I read your review and thought well you weren't sold on the machine.
I bought one-and reread your review.

I'm not tech savvy, so besides turning on the machines it takes me a good long while to figure the buttons/programs out.
(School of hard knocks-is a way of my learnings)
Manual/instruction pamphlet-yup needs a simpler way of explaining things.
Well I can reread something over and over again-and it just doesn't explain it well.
Like getting into the XY screen and having it stay there.

Headphones-well we must have the same barber/or lack of hair to catch those things in the right spot and make them stay.
Nope I like the cuff type-so I ordered up the Deus wireless-spring/fall weather my ears are snuggly, and it blocks out the wind.
Now the charger for the coil-easy-wide goes with wide/narrow goes with narrow. Can't see how that could be an issue.
Now the charging cable to the pad, have to align it the right way, then screw it in. (not a winner there)
Charging port on the headphones-same thing it's in a cave-I fumble around trying to find the right position to plug it in
Now it's sturdy, coil is tight, wand doesn't flop, and it's light.
Turn on and go-now that it pretty basic.
General program-simple-learn it-then move on.

Now the actual machine in the field.
I've only done sites that I have been to multiple times. Some of these heavy iron patches were to the point where no non-ferrous targets were retrieved after a few hunts.
All close by-no problem with time or $$$ visiting.
Just lets try this or that to suck out another target.
Some of these places have had me hitting them for 6-8yrs.

The general program-multiple target recoveries. Some sites were like "Did I even detect this site?"
Separation in heavy iron target patch is great, way better than the Deus 1
80% less dug iron-and called it on 10% that it would-but just had to see.

When it locked onto a # it stayed at that ID # even when out of the hole.
Now I dug a few 12" targets, and the ID was spot on from start to finish.

I took a few pictures showing depth, and one site had a high voltage electric fence bleed ticking the whole time at the site.
(I didn't want to start messing with the controls out in the field)
A simple small pack rivet between large and small nails-and it called it.

I was debating on what machine to get-money wasn't an issue as I did a scrap clean up and what ever machine was free basically.
Deas ll & Wireless Headphones $2600.00 Can. I already had the pinpointer. (Which have a discrimination feature)

What I'm driving at is the Nox 800 coil ear problems (buy ear stiffeners) WTF!
Controls leaking-another issue
Just dying-say what?
I play baseball in life and that was a strike 3-it's out.
Might have a brain-but what good is it if the lacking body that drives it fails.

Batteries-:dontknow:My Deus 1 is still running strong after 5 yrs and I've had no issues with them.
So I give them a thumbs up-no problem
For a long hunt-it still gave me plenty of charged space.

As for the Puck-a person basically has a back up plan if the other has an issue, I might order another coil (11") use the Deus 1 stem and have another machine on the cheap. (Gee might I might invite somebody to go detecting with me)
Slap! Ok that was a frightening thought-last invite lost me a 250 acre permission.
But I digress.....

Seriously going from Whites-the Minelab Explorer series-CTX3030-Deus 1-Deus 11
Each company switch was a learning process.
It took time-I was still learning the Deus 1
I can't wrap my head around how some folks just pick it up and go- meaning like 40 machines in 10 yrs. :notworthy:
I feel it takes 1000 hrs to really know a machine-a dig or pass-and never doubting that decision.

That's my newbie take on the Deus ll-winter knocked early this year-so it might be a sort the finds out type of winter.

Sal

Sep 17, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
dfx-eagle 2 sl-troy x 5-newforce r 1-6000 xl pro- tejon-cz 6a- shadow x 5 xp deus explorer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MINELAB EQUINOX 800 IRON NAIL SEPARATION in the real world!
"O" My metal detecting! An absolutely astonishing find pulled from the ground! One incredible hunt! Check out @13:45 in video.
And this one reason why Minelab has a solid fan base.

Minelab created the first true multi frequency detector over 20 years ago. They were the first to do so as far as I know, and I predict the Manticore will blow the Deus II out of the water in depth and high target finds. I'll just sit back and laugh as the same people hawking the Deus II - will suddenly be rushing to buy a Manticore.

I'll continue to watch 'The Hoover Boys' and 'West County Clegg' on Youtube using Minelabs and finding some amazing things.

Gold Noble worth 4800 British pounds or $USD 5,527.69
Simply Stunning! Greatest Gold Discovery of my Life!
a compilation of gold finds by Cleggy
see @10:10 in video

Best Day EVER!!! My Gold Coin Go's Under The Hammer In LONDON
see @11:00 in video for actual auction

I believe fisher was the first multi frequency the cz series but they did not patent it and minelab did first.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread