Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Tesoro Bandido II µMax and
Compadre, White's Classic II,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just curious and seeking following information on the Minelab Musketeer Advantage.

#1..In the "Fix" control position, doe it really eliminate ground mineralization effects, or do you have to manually ground balance ?

#2..Will it find small-size 10 Karate Silver and Gold rings and other precious metal Jewelry ?

#3..What is the total weight of the machine including the battery pack ?

#4..What price does a previously-owned unit in nice condition and fully operational sell for and if you are selling such, what would the shipping cost be to Georgetown, Ohio, Zip 45121-1485 ?

Thanks folks !

ToddB64

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any particular reason you're looking for something so outdated? There are much better machines available today in all aspects of detecting.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind it has a real slow processor, technology is 20 years old and chances of being repaired if it has issues is low as the stop making parts years ago for it, it was discontinued in 2009, stop making parts in 2012.

OP
OP
ToddB64

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any particular reason you're looking for something so outdated? There are much better machines available today in all aspects of detecting.

Hi cudamark;6747016 :hello:

I was looking at my November, 2003 issue of Lost Treasure magazine, and on the inside of the front cover was the attached ad that stated "Automatic Ground Tracking" and this grabbed my attention !

In addition, I am aware of the high regard detectorists have for Minelab detectors in general.

Furthermore, I assumed that a previously-owned unit would be within my price range. I'm retired and can't afford the better machines with all the bells and whistles.

Whether or not I could make a purchase for a used unit will depend largely on the cost, as well as answers to the rest of my questions.

So, just out of curiosity I wanted more information.

Toddb64

Attachments

• Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Scan_20210507.jpg
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Scan_20210507.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 272

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are so old, slow and outdated you may not be able to find a working one.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi cudamark;6747016 :hello:

I was looking at my November, 2003 issue of Lost Treasure magazine, and on the inside of the front cover was the attached ad that stated "Automatic Ground Tracking" and this grabbed my attention !

In addition, I am aware of the high regard detectorists have for Minelab detectors in general.

Furthermore, I assumed that a previously-owned unit would be within my price range. I'm retired and can't afford the better machines with all the bells and whistles.

Whether or not I could make a purchase for a used unit will depend largely on the cost, as well as answers to the rest of my questions.

So, just out of curiosity I wanted more information.

Toddb64

What is your price range?

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Auto ground tracking means you can't tune it for extra depth, imo. I hate auto ground tracking. If you have the opportunity to take it out and use it for at least ten hours, and then if it works well, offer $75.

OP
OP
ToddB64

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Treasure Hunter !

Thanks ! I appreciate the information you provided, however, I'll begin my replies starting with your last statement, i.e. "chances of being repaired if it has issues is low as the stop making parts years ago for it, it was discontinued in 2009, stop making parts in 2012". These are the chances we all take when buying metal detectors. Look at what happened to Tesoro and White's. I have two Tesoros and one White's, all purchased before they went defunct, but these good quality machines are still running.

As for "Keep in mind it has a real slow processor, technology is 20 years old" The slow analog processor is OK by me; scanning the coil slow to give sufficient processor time produces better results anyway.

Note, in my original thread at paragraph #4, I said "fully operational", so if it's not, I'll send it back for a refund. If I buy from a registered T'Net member, they will most likely be honest with me for the sake of their own reputation.

ToddB64

OP
OP
ToddB64

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Treasure Hunter,

"What is your price range?" I don't want to tip my hand. I asked first :laughing7:. Quote your best price and I'll decide if it's affordable.

ToddB64

OP
OP
ToddB64

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
xr7ator,

I assumed that "Automatic Ground Tracking" stated in the Minelab Musketeer Advantage ad meant tracking the mineralization level as you scan the coil over the ground ? Is this correct ?

Also, thanks for your opinion on an offering price of $75.00.

ToddB64

OP
OP
ToddB64

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
smokeythecat,

Well, we will just have to see !

ToddB64

SvenS

Oct 13, 2008
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Makro products, as well as others. Self built Mirage PI's. The Mirage is excellent in trashy sites, unlike many PI's.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still a very viable detector without the bells and whistles!!! Tips and Tricks bottom of my webpage https://www.treasurelinx.com/minelab.html

Processor is not slow, it's fast.
Musky XS video, the Advantage is the newer version.

and more videos https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=musketeer+advantage

I have had a number of different Musketeers. I like it best with the 7" coil. Best if rear mounted on the s-handle or rear mounted on a straight shaft.
My last musky pictured.

I have schematics etc.

Attachments

• svensmusky800pix.JPG
    svensmusky800pix.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 156
  • header_logo_08a.jpg
    header_logo_08a.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 129
  • msky.png
    msky.png
    141.4 KB · Views: 55

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure Hunter,

"What is your price range?" I don't want to tip my hand. I asked first :laughing7:. Quote your best price and I'll decide if it's affordable.

ToddB64

Todd, I don't have one, I was going to keep my eye out for a detector for you. I have friends who have spare detectors, but not a Musketeer Advantage. I use to work for Minelab.

OP
OP
ToddB64

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Treasure Hunter,

Since you used to work for Minelab, I assume you are familiar with the differences in circuit operation between the Musketeer XS, XS Pro and Advantage. So, does the Discrimination control on the Advantage have a tighter range than the XS or XS Pro models ? If so, I would prefer the Advantage, but when it comes right down to a purchase decision, the selling price (including shipping) will be King for me.

I have free printable manuals for the XS, XS Pro and Advantage saved to my computer, so I can compare specifications and any other differences. Right now I'm leaning toward the Advantage, however, I haven't completed a thorough review yet. So to help speed things along for me, if you know of any particular specification, feature or operational pro/con that might be important between these (3) models, please let me know.

Thanks for your help !

ToddB64

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, when I was working for Minelab the Musketeer had already been discontinued, was not available for sale and was no longer being repaired as no parts were available.

OP
OP
ToddB64

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry, when I was working for Minelab the Musketeer had already been discontinued, was not available for sale and was no longer being repaired as no parts were available.

OK....I'll see what can be found in the manuals I saved, otherwise, posting my question on a few other metal detecting websites, or entering queries on the Internet.

ToddB64

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I googled it and found for sale now in Yakima Washington and a few other places. Good luck.

OP
OP
ToddB64

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi All ! :hello:

With reference to the following question in my post #14, on page #1, "So, does the Discrimination control on the Advantage have a tighter range than the XS or XS Pro models ?"

I went back and listened to SVENS Video again, post #12 on page #1, and he said that the board is the same on the XS, XS Pro and Advantage. So that's the answer to my question ! Since the circuit board is the same, that would mean that the Discrimination range of 1 to 9 is the same on all three models, and in his video, SVENS identifies this as a "wide" range.

In comparison, White's VDI (
Visual DiscriminationIndicator) offered a numerical discrimination range from 00 to 95 (20 numbers and 19 spaces between the numbers ), and the Teknetics T2+ metal detector offers a Discrimination Level numerical range of 0 to 80. These Disc. ranges are examples of what I would term extended "narrow" or tighter Disc. ranges, which provide finer settings and concurrent control for the detectorist.

ToddB64

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread