Minelab Pro Find 25 is garbage

gunslinger44

Greenie
Mar 29, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off, Minelabs are good machines, their actual metal detectors. For pin-pointers, they're asleep at the wheel.

I bought a Pro-Find 25, brand new.

It seemed ok at first, it was detecting shovel heads at around 2 feet, my truck at 5 feet or so, and then on small metal objects it was behaving as it should.

I didn't drop the thing or abuse it at all, it went hunting with me about 5 times, I started noticing it would alert on things that weren't there, also it would alert on something and then keep alerting when you pull it away, wouldn't shut up until you turn it off and restart. This thing is so erratic it truly is useless. And before you ask if I tried messing with the sensitivity, I did, I tried all possible combinations, and this thing is just a problem.

I thought I'd let you all know, in case you were thinking of a Minelab pin-pointer, don't. I wish I would have seen this forum before I got it, I would have bought a Garrett instead.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have used the Pro Find 35 for over a year now and love it. Did you try changing the battery?

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
~ XP Deus II & Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sensitivity setting at max? I've had 4 of them since they've been out and could rarely use them on the highest setting cuz they would false constantly like that. Kinda liked the iron id thing, even though it doesn't always work, it was sometimes like a precursor to sometimes know you had a non-rusty-nail target. Didn't like how the button isn't easily found by feel, especially when it's filled with mud and don't fit in some pouch pinpointer holder slots. Have tried every pinpointer worth trying and always resort back to g carrots (for dry land). Call Minelab and see what they say maybe. They worked decent otherwise.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gunslinger44

Greenie
Mar 29, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol yes, I changed the battery, twice, both times brand new store bought Duracell 9V. Maybe the 35 is a better pointer, but even that one I've heard not good things about.

Esto Perpetua

Greenie
Feb 8, 2021
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 - Tesoro Bandido II Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, that's strange. Aside from the battery.... perhaps EMI or some interference? I'd call Minelab if it's still under warranty.

I have a Pro 35 that I bought months ago, still on it's packaged battery, ran it for many yard hunts and no complaints from me at the moment. I can't say the same about my older OG Pro-pointer though, that one started falsing like crazy a year after I had bought back in 2006 or something? Even back then, the Garrett still went berserk at times.... and it just got to the point where I couldn't use the dang thing at all.

Still have the old Pro-Pointer, and since it's been way out of warranty, I did try a DIY fix on it - it can be found on youtube. Not sure if it worked though.

Maybe a year from now, I may change my tune about the ML pinpointer.... but so far, so good. I also don't run it on max sensitivity, so YMMV. My only dislike of it, is the holster. I had to sew up something better that would work for my belt/carrying kit. Minor gripe. I do like that I can run it with the audio off, I don't know if the 25 has that feature. Ferrous tone, meh.... I might help a bit I suppose. I dig a lot of junk.

Hope you get it figured out.
T

log2lumber

May 8, 2015
Detroit, MI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 2 with carbon fiber shaft and upgrades
Minelab Vanquish 540(won it!)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a 20 and it barely works. Changed batteries twice.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My friends just died. He only had it for a few years, and wished he'd bought the Garrett.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just FYI...

The 25 models have discontinued years ago. The new top-end model the PRO-FIND 35 which is an excellent pointer.

jamest64

Jan 15, 2020
Near Ann Arbor Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 and White's TRX pp, Garrett 400, Pro Pinpointer II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First off, Minelabs are good machines, their actual metal detectors. For pin-pointers, they're asleep at the wheel.

I bought a Pro-Find 25, brand new.

It seemed ok at first, it was detecting shovel heads at around 2 feet, my truck at 5 feet or so, and then on small metal objects it was behaving as it should.

I didn't drop the thing or abuse it at all, it went hunting with me about 5 times, I started noticing it would alert on things that weren't there, also it would alert on something and then keep alerting when you pull it away, wouldn't shut up until you turn it off and restart. This thing is so erratic it truly is useless. And before you ask if I tried messing with the sensitivity, I did, I tried all possible combinations, and this thing is just a problem.

I thought I'd let you all know, in case you were thinking of a Minelab pin-pointer, don't. I wish I would have seen this forum before I got it, I would have bought a Garrett instead.
I know this is old, but I had the exact same problem. Took it back to the store I bought it from and they gave me the pinpointer of my choice. JT

geneg

Greenie
Apr 2, 2013
St Louis, MO
Detector(s) used
ETrac, 5900 DI Pro SL, 6000 DI Pro SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To update an older thread, my Pro-Find 25 died several years ago, it worked great for a while and was only used as a spare.The pinpointer started to act erratic on a hunt and was not stable. I tried several things but nothing seemed to work. Putting lateral pressure on the tip made it more erratic. I tabled it till recently after watching a youtube on a possible repair. This involved cutting the device open as its glued together. What I determined was the ferrite core was broken in two pieces. Now this is encased in epoxy so not sure how it just broke as it was never dropped. I am thinking it was always broke and after time of moving it around the ferrite somehow separated more. I have glued the ferrite together and have yet to rewind the copper wire and assemble to see it it will work. Its a pretty messy task cutting this thing open and will need some good expoxy filling on the two cost sides in order to get it back together nicely. Its more a learning experience and many may not think its worth the trouble but I for one hate to throw things away.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread