Minelab Se Pro ~ What is the Best Small Coil

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
I bought a Minelab Se Pro brand new with the 11" DD coil. My buddy hunts with an ExplorerII, but has his decked out with an 8" Concentric coil. He almost always kicks my butt when we hunt together despite my machine being newer. I know he has more experience with his machine, but he credits this smaller coil with being the answer in junky yards. I believe he is probably correct, but wanted to ask you all what your opinions are? What have you found to be the best small coil to use with the Explorer Se? Thanks.

Baldingboy

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab makes excellent coils for their machines. I like the Sunray Stealth 5. It seems to do the job very well and the cable is high quality.

Attachments

• STREALTH_X-5_PHOTO_-_WEB-.jpg
    STREALTH_X-5_PHOTO_-_WEB-.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 356
  • STREALTH_X-5_PHOTO_-_WEB-.jpg
    STREALTH_X-5_PHOTO_-_WEB-.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 349

John S

Dec 5, 2005
I had a 5" sunray coil on a SE and it was not so good, I think the 8" concentric is the way to go.

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
My Explorer came with an 8"DD coil that I used for a couple of years and just loved. Sadly one day it starting acting very erratic and I finally came to the conclusion that the wires had become loose inside the coil. I posted on here about a possible repair and the news wasnt good so I've never sent it in to Minelab. I began using the stock coil and immediately noticed my finds dropping off,I hunt almost exclusively in trashy ghetto yards and demolitions and target seperation is just awful with the big coil. I agonized over buying a new coil honestly I just wanted my 8" coil back but I was just too hesitant about buying one for fear the same defect will reappear and Ill be out the money and back in the same boat so Ive kept using the stock coil always looking at others. After reading and asking all around about this same question you pose I decided upon a Platypus coil,its oblong shaped with the long side being the size of a stock coil and the short side about 8". Ive read nothing but great things about this coil but I just havent had the money ($240) to buy one so now almost a year since finding my last silver coin Ive sold a couple of items on Ebay and raised the money to buy one. Ive been watching the buy/sell here and on other forums and finally found one on Ebay for $140.00 buy it now and snapped it up just yesterday. I would post on here asking after the platypus,you will be shocked by how many people use them and love them ,they swear about target seperation,signal clarity and depth. Im hoping all the hype is for real and expect mine to be here sometime this week,hope this helps you out some...Shoot

just found this,guy has a platypus or an 8" for a good price http://www.findmall.com/read.php?44,1015006

Olegrumpy

Apr 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sov GT-Explorer II-Goldbug Pro-Eurotek Pro-Classic III-Golden µMAX-1212-x-SH MKII-
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi

I would consider the 6x8" "butterfly" S.E.F. coil.

Seems great in high trash.

Grumpy

OP
OP
Baldingboy

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Unfortunately, I got "ancy" and bought a 6" DD coil from Kellyco....I hope it proves a wise decision. I had ordered an 8" concentric, but it was out of stock and I have waiting over a month for them to get it stocked to no avail. I decided that being a 6" coil, it should see in between the trash a lot better. I hope I am right about that! It will be here tomorrow. I will keep you all posted.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Baldingboy

OP
OP
Baldingboy

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Took the detector out with the new 6" coil tonight and hit a park that has been absolutely hammered to death! I worked it pretty hard and did manage to find a "Class of 2008" enameled keychain fob and a 1916 Wheatie. I hunted about an hour and a half and dug up lots of trash too. I think right now, the jury is still out. I will report after tomorrow nights hunt. We are going to a yard where we found an Indian Head, old dog tags and a few other interesting finds. Lots of trash there though. Report to follow...............

BB

OP
OP
Baldingboy

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Hit a couple other places that had been hammered. Managed a few things, but not too much. I am trying to balance getting good with the detector and learning the new coil. The coil keeps me from listening to so much racket. Before, in junky areas, I had so many signals to decipher, it was hard to pick out sounds. At least with this one, I can isolate and really listen to the sound better. I hope to take it out again soon and hit somewhere that hasn't been vacuumed. Perhaps this with help those better tones to be more distict to me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread