Minelabs new GO FIND 20,40 and 60 Metal Detectors

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 14 year old explorer has collapsible shafts the works perfectly it's not a new feature.

Of course it isn't new & I did not mention the Explorer in my post. I dont remember the Explorer having a FOLDING shaft. I have heard complaints about the Go-Find being gritty and difficult to close. I have NEVER heard these complaints about the Explorer.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course it isn't new & I did not mention the Explorer in my post. I dont remember the Explorer having a FOLDING shaft. I have heard complaints about the Go-Find being gritty and difficult to close. I have NEVER heard these complaints about the Explorer.

I just saying it collapses on the explorer and it looks the same.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just saying it collapses on the explorer and it looks the same.

I think the problem is the tight tolerance where it folds. I'm sure if one is careful it would be okay. It just does not look very conducive with a sandy beach, as they advertise it.

Scanman

Jul 27, 2013
NW MI
Detector(s) used
Cortes, Lobo Super Traq, Golden Umax 2.0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You were hoping for an advanced detector with numeric ID?

Yes, I am ready to upgrade to a more advanced detector than I have used in the past.

I hope you weren't expecting the same from Tesoro when you mentioned the collapsible shaft idea. It will never happen.

2 years ago, when Nathan created the Customer Feedback post, I believed in Tesoro. Not so much as late?

Also that collapsible shaft does look fun when it gets full of sand or dirt. I bet it makes a cool 'crunching' sound when closing it!

Hopefully it's not that big of a issue? The minelab product page advertises beach use.

Scanman

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I am ready to upgrade to a more advanced detector than I have used in the past.

2 years ago, when Nathan created the Customer Feedback post, I believed in Tesoro. Not so much as late?

Hopefully it's not that big of a issue? The minelab product page advertises beach use.

Scanman

I was just thinking it would be very surprising for Tesoro to come up with a modern, multi-tone, numeric ID machine. Even their most basic ground balance adjustable machine, the single tone Vaquero is about $450. Wth all the features mentioned, including collapsible shaft, a Cazador would have to be over $1000 I would think. Just guessing. Also their loyal customer base may not want to make the switch to a more modern, multi-tone numeric ID machine. Nathan seems to have dropped the ball. Is he ever on this forum at all? I have seen him (rarely) post but not here that I can recall.

Scanman

Jul 27, 2013
NW MI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just thinking it would be very surprising for Tesoro to come up with a modern, multi-tone, numeric ID machine

Nathan never gave much details, just mentioned it would not be a rebadge. At the time, I believed Tesoro was committed to a modern updated machine? Currently I don't have much faith in the Cazador ever being born?

Even their most basic ground balance adjustable machine, the single tone Vaquero is about $450. Wth all the features mentioned, including collapsible shaft, a Cazador would have to be over $1000 I would think. Just guessing.

My thoughts on the shaft would be as a accessory item, that would be compatible with most of the Tesoro's lineup. I thought it would appeal to many? and be something Tesoro could swing? If the Cazador was going to be the flagship, I expected it to be in the $800 plus range regardless?

Also their loyal customer base may not want to make the switch to a more modern, multi-tone numeric ID machine

lol I know. I can't comprehend that logic.

Nathan seems to have dropped the ball. Is he ever on this forum at all? I have seen him (rarely) post but not here that I can recall.

I would have thought Nathan would have announced the new coil release? I have only seen him post on the other site. His last post (rant)?

The Go-Find line is going to eat into Tesoro sales I am afraid.

Scanman

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You were hoping for an advanced detector with numeric ID? I hope you weren't expecting the same from Tesoro when you mentioned the collapsible shaft idea. It will never happen. Also that collapsible shaft does look fun when it gets full of sand or dirt. I bet it makes a cool 'crunching' sound when closing it!

I could care less about "my" detectors collapsing. I do care about target IDs ringing in at 1 out of 100 rather than 1 out of 4. If I'm going to "beep and dig" I'll get a Tesoro. They can PP as well as the LED meter on GoFinds and are lighter to boot.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could care less about "my" detectors collapsing. I do care about target IDs ringing in at 1 out of 100 rather than 1 out of 4. If I'm going to "beep and dig" I'll get a Tesoro. They can PP as well as the LED meter on GoFinds and are lighter to boot.

That is an odd feature. It almost sounds like they 'dumbed it down' to make it more beginner friendly. I can't see any advantage of only 1 icon per tone, & no other VID

Mekatataku

Greenie
May 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Go-Find 40
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an odd feature. It almost sounds like they 'dumbed it down' to make it more beginner friendly. I can't see any advantage of only 1 icon per tone, & no other VID

I wouldn't even call it beginner friendly, i would call it child friendly. I have only had the machine for a month and i want to upgrade to one with numeric ID. Shouldn't be like that. Should be able to grow into the machine, not grow out of it after using it two times.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sucks man I'm sorry to hear that. I expected it do be more entry level & not a real game changer, being that the cheapest machine Minelab offered before was the 305 at $400! Minelab make great machines, but IMO do not offer the bang for the buck like some US brands.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sucks man I'm sorry to hear that. I expected it do be more entry level & not a real game changer, being that the cheapest machine Minelab offered before was the 305 at $400! Minelab make great machines, but IMO do not offer the bang for the buck like some US brands.

You shouldn't judge minelabs by the exterras. Fbs detectors especially the older explorers are the best bang for the buck in the hobby. I bought a ex11 for $275 that will hunt with anything out there. I was terribly dissapointed in the exterras.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I meant that they do not seem to have many models under $1000, that have as many features, etc... For under $1000, I think there are other great options out there. The X-Terra's are fine machines, but IMO they don't do everything as well as they could.

Last edited:

nigel

Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to get a f2 and try it in my test bed that I use for youtube vids of comparisons. Been hearing good things of it. Just ran the F19 in it and am very very impressed with separation. If the f2 is anywhere near the f19. It's good. Should be posting the f19 vid within a couple days.
why not put the gc-1023 over that test bed of your .it might not quite reach your deepest targets ,after all its only 8" coil,but whatevers in range it will do very well on. -they used to be $60 ,but i think about $130 is todays price . AUTO GB that works spot on ,and good iron disc,set it to 4.5-5 and small nails are gone .
recovery rate is mindblowingly fast for a budget detector that was introduced over ten years ago .theres even a tone id mode that works well.
after testing i,m sure you will declare its got all the qualities a beginner machine needs .only thing i can fault on build quality is the stem has play when swung .something like 15mm bottom entering 17mm hole .that 2mm gives it a wiggle that feels cheap.and the plastic on the rear armrest /stand is a bit thin.but i have never miss-treated any machine i own .theres just no need .
I made my two feel loads more solid today , i just got a roll of black tape few times around the bottom shaft where it enters the larger diameter upper stem until the clearance was just touching . now its solid when i swing .six inches of black tape and it feels almost european .
here in europe theres a 10" spider coiled version and a 12" big coiled version that have thicker armcup construction and stronger stems ,niether of which i,ve tried but they might hit your deepest targets ,but might loose the super sensitivity the 8" posesses.

Last edited:

scannerguy1968

Jun 4, 2015
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Many
Current
Tesoro Vaquero
Nokta Fors Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
why not put the gc-1023 over that test bed of your .it might not quite reach your deepest targets ,after all its only 8" coil,but whatevers in range it will do very well on. -they used to be $60 ,but i think about $130 is todays price . AUTO GB that works spot on ,and good iron disc,set it to 4.5-5 and small nails are gone .
recovery rate is mindblowingly fast for a budget detector that was introduced over ten years ago .theres even a tone id mode that works well.
after testing i,m sure you will declare its got all the qualities a beginner machine needs .only thing i can fault on build quality is the stem has play when swung .something like 15mm bottom entering 17mm hole .that 2mm gives it a wiggle that feels cheap.and the plastic on the rear armrest /stand is a bit thin.but i have never miss-treated any machine i own .theres just no need .
I made my two feel loads more solid today , i just got a roll of black tape few times around the bottom shaft where it enters the larger diameter upper stem until the clearance was just touching . now its solid when i swing .six inches of black tape and it feels almost european .
here in europe theres a 10" spider coiled version and a 12" big coiled version that have thicker armcup construction and stronger stems ,niether of which i,ve tried but they might hit your deepest targets ,but might loose the super sensitivity the 8" posesses.

I'll have to try that. I see a 1026 on ebay for a good price. These close to the same? Have to get one in the next couple weeks. Gonna try others like bounty hunters as well.

nigel

Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll have to try that. I see a 1026 on ebay for a good price. These close to the same? Have to get one in the next couple weeks. Gonna try others like bounty hunters as well.
no ,only two models i would recommend . gc-1023 and gc-1022. both very fast recovery .
any model with lcd display will be much slower recovery .gold century had a winner ,a classic ,but they keep churning out digitized machines that cost more and dont do the same job.its the old analogue setup ,takes some beating .

lawman0210

Jan 6, 2007
Edgewood, MD
Detector(s) used
Garret ATI Pro, Ace 250 ATI Gold, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
since the gofinds have bluetooth does that mean you can also use wireless bluetooth headphones?

lawman0210

Jan 6, 2007
Edgewood, MD
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there any other maker that has the type of app that will mark on a map where you were when u found an item? I have been doing that with a gps for a while and it really helps looking at your hunt from the air to see patterns. Even though this unit doesn't go as deep I thought it could be a good tool as a prehunt research tool to gather Intel on possibke hot spots are.

lawman0210

Jan 6, 2007
Edgewood, MD
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess to use a smartphone for basic bluetooth things will ml work without cell service but if you want to use the "locate finds function" you will need cell service for the maps. Can anyone confirm?

Scanman

Jul 27, 2013
NW MI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
since the gofinds have bluetooth does that mean you can also use wireless bluetooth headphones?

It's my understanding the bluetooth on the Go-Find 40/60 only works with the app, and not with bluetooth headphones.

Scanman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread