Minelab's successor to the Equinox 800?

PowerDubs

Oct 6, 2015
NWNJ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’d love a lighter weight, plug in recharge, true wireless headphone CTX

Other than recovery speed- that is all the nox beats it on.

As far as actual detection and data - the 9 year old CTX still stomps the simplistic nox.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It really all comes down to user preferences, what their main area of pursuit is, what type of conditions they hunt in, etc., etc. There is only so much "universal application" that can be packaged into any single machine, just the nature of the beast and the technology. Make user preference performance improvements at one end and you only reduce the user performance preferences at the other. There's just no way around this. Recovery speeds are a prime example, make them faster and it comes at a cost of depth, sensitivity at depth, target information, and the number of returns the user receives. Everything is a give and take situation, every adjustment simply increasing or decreasing the amount of information one hears in their headphones. So when manufacturers install built in default/presets they are actually making user decisions for the user, which comes at a cost to those users who don't want those same preferences. Another example, some machines are more heavily weighted for target conductivity, others more heavily weighted to size and shape, etc. So while the Nox, CTX, and others are nice machines there is only just so much that can be packed into any single machine before the cost at the end of the user spectrum starts to show itself.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just hope whatever the "next" is... its better quality than the EQ. heh

I have seen nothing about it... that justifies the fear of failure or hassle.

Others may not mind "sending it in"... regardless of why... But I do.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just hope whatever the "next" is... its better quality than the EQ. heh

I have seen nothing about it... that justifies the fear of failure or hassle.

Others may not mind "sending it in"... regardless of why... But I do.

Agree, the quality is lacking these days.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tend to agree with you pulltabflex. Minelab has been concentrating on gold detectors. Since they are an Aussie company and there is lots of gold to be found in Australia they have to keep ahead of the game down there because it is a big market.

For our type if multi use detecting I think there needs to be a breakthrough in micro technology before you get much better than the Equinox. They can dress up the CTX3030 with newer tech like the equinox has to keep it expensive and it's market share if they haven't already done that.

I have had Garrett, Whites and Fisher but Minelab has the best in class over anyone else in each price range. Not knocking them but what ever they do Minelab does better.

I bought my Equinox the 1st week of March as soon as they released the Equinox. I contacted every vendor in the USA and one guy had one and most guys were waiting until May and June and were on waiting lists. I was on lists too but I didn't wait. I found one

treasurehunter1957

Apr 9, 2020
hampshire united kingdom
Detector(s) used
minelab ctx3030 , minelab sovereign gt.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
i found it interesting to read all these replies about the possibility of the next machine to succeed the nox 800 , from what i have found out that minelab are most probably working on replacement to the ctx 3030 , which is a great machine but with software a little dated and the machine being heavy with the 17inch coil , when minelab bought out the equinox range it clearly showed they were competing against the deus , and the vanquish range was to take on garrets , so im expecting the ctx to be made lighter with a faster processor , minelab are aware of there competition especially looking over the shoulders with nokta makro range who are coming on leaps and bounds and a company that does not sit around in bringing a better machine. so im praying that minelab are going to bring out a new version of the ctx 3030 or should i call it the 4040.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something to succeed it? Maybe in half a dozen years or so. They are raking in too much money right now.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My only complaint is the charging port. I used mine for two weeks in the Aruba salt water. I guess I didn't rise it well enough and it turns green and stops charging until I clean it with vinegar. I have multiple detectors and it is still my go-to for everything but nuggets. For that I still use a GPX5000 and have the NOX 800 as backup or for in the water.

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My only complaint is the charging port. I used mine for two weeks in the Aruba salt water. I guess I didn't rise it well enough and it turns green and stops charging until I clean it with vinegar. I have multiple detectors and it is still my go-to for everything but nuggets. For that I still use a GPX5000 and have the NOX 800 as backup or for in the water.

I give mine a shot of electro contact cleaner every so often to keep the contacts clean

jmc24

Feb 24, 2020
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Legend, XP Deus 2, FTP Tek Point, Garrott Carrot, Gold Hog River Sluices and Flow Pan, Royal Mini High Banker.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing is for sure - Its successor will obsolete all other detectors !

Minelab's actual statement about the Equinox series was that it would obsolete all single frequency VLF detectors. That included Minelab's own X-Terra series and their gold prospecting VLF the Goldmonster 1000.

Every time I see a reference to that usually misquoted quote whether it is done as a joke or for actually trying to support a point of view like "CTX is better than the Equinox no matter what Minelab said in their Equinox hype"................... Minelab never said it because they are definitely not that stupid.

There is plenty of room for improving the Equinox 800 and Minelab is well aware of it if you just take all of the water ingress problems which is a major issue for some water hunters. Just making it more waterproofed would be a big improvement.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes, age makes me take fewer chances anymore. My cats and chickens need me.
Smokey, Just curious, do cats and chickens get along with each other? I have a cat, never had chickens and a cat.

OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
One thing I have noticed on this and other metal detecting forums that a lot early Equinox bashers are now swinging 800's or 600's.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, cats and chickens get along very well. The little 1 and a half pound rooster will whoop the snot out of the cats. I have to keep them apart to protect the cats.

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
800 be like? The 800 would be a real hard act to follow. What new features/abilities would you like to see on Minelab's successor to the Equinox 800?

I have it from a double secret source their will be an: Equinox XS, Equinox XS-2, Equinox XS2a/Pro, Equinox Elite, and last but not least THE EQUINOX GT!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have it from a double secret source their will be an: Equinox XS, Equinox XS-2, Equinox XS2a/Pro, Equinox Elite, and last but not least THE EQUINOX GT!
Ohhhhhh😳 Hopefully they get the coil ears and arm cuff issues fixed first.

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with ARC, haven't had trouble with the box brain box, but my new coil sent under warranty already has cracked ears. I have installed the reinforcement ordered from Barts Big Boys Hobbies and tie wrapped it on in lieu of gorilla glue in case I send it back before the warranty expires. Dont know how minelab missed this weakness in the design process.

Reactions: ARC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread