Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
C.R. HKt.B Sometimes there's not a right way, or
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab is a good detector. I like the SE. But, I would think any name
brand mid priced defector would do the job. Lot depend on what you are looking
for, coins, relics, etc. Check out Kellyco, they are a sponsor on Tnet. They usually
give a description of how each detector will perform in different soil.

Roadquest

OP
OP
F

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Roadquest,
Thanks for the reply. There is a dealer in salt lake i am going to buy one from if i like them. I am a coin hunter and im leaning toward the se or the safari.

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70, Fisher F75, eyes, brain
The xterra 70 gets great depth in Utah, and has faster recovery than the explorer. It is also an easier machine to learn. The Fisher F75 gets excellent depth, but can be chattery as everybody knows. I am disabled so the lightness of the x70 and f75 were a must( now I can't swing at all, they are gone) I couldn't swing the explorer for long even with a swingy thingy.

OP
OP
F

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry to hear you cant swing at all!!! I am getting only about 6 inches on quarter sized objects with my DFX no matter what kind of settings i program it with.

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70, Fisher F75, eyes, brain
6 inches on a quarter is NOT good around here. With the 2 detectors I mentioned a quarter at 6 inches blew my ears off, and indian cents at 7 inches gave clear repeatable signals and id'd correctly.

OP
OP
F

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
utah hunter said:
6 inches on a quarter is NOT good around here. With the 2 detectors I mentioned a quarter at 6 inches blew my ears off, and indian cents at 7 inches gave clear repeatable signals and id'd correctly.
Im with you. I wsa thinking the DFX was going to get me more. Not to say its a junk machine, its not at all, but i think it has a hard time handling the ground here. Looks like im selling the dfx and going for the minelab.

plumloko

Feb 11, 2008
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, Whites XLT
I have owned whites and minelabs.

The problem that I had with minelabs was that the recovery was WAYYYY too slow.
(Maybe too many frequency's on too slow of a processor??).

If I hit a piece of something, I would have to stop and wait for the threshold to come back for 4-5 seconds and then continue with my hunting.

I have used the XLT for years in Utah and it is highly unlikely that I would miss a quarter at 6".

In the spirit of whites vs. minelab I will offer a suggestion, try out a Teknetics T2.

That is what my partner uses while I was using my XLT.
I think that our finds were comparable.
But when it came to separation and depth in a low trash area he killed me, in the trashy areas I would find more.

I am currently using a whites vision and will see how that goes.

In other words, it is my opinion, depending on the ground condition, that one machine will outperform the other.

UTcoinshootR

Mar 5, 2008
UT!
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, DFX300
I have had my DFX for a year now and I'm learning new things every day with it. I can get wheats at 8 inches pretty regular with good ground conditions. I like to use preamp at 3 and turn sens to 65. Ive noticed that most places I go when I do this I have to have hot rock reject up to at least 5. Oh and if there are 60 cycle power lines around the pre amp is better off at 2. This alone should reveal a quarter at 8 inches no problem. I got a watch fob the other day about the size of 2 quarters. It was 11 inches deep! My whole digger fit in the hole. The signal was a repeatable 86-88 every time. I hope this helps. GL.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread