Miners tag (bucket list)

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I'm a day late... yesterday the girlfriend and I went up in to the mountains, mostly for a drive and some scenery/photography.

Took her to a ghost town is been to and detected before. Almost left the detector, but figured it couldn't hurt, and she'd feel less pressured if i was doing something while she was taking pictures. Decided I'd try inside the building this time, and after a few pull tabs, I got my first miners tag! Was super excited, scoured the place and came up with another (#90). I then proceeded to lose the first one (#95), but I have very strong suspicion I know where. After cleaning out the car today with no luck, plan is to go back to the second side tomorrow afternoon and hopefully re-recover #95

20171016_175514.jpg

Bummed I lost the one, but hope isn't lost of finding it again, and VERY happy have an item crossed off my bucket list!

Other funny/frusterating story was site 2 was an old cemetery (roughly 1870-1910). Near one of the head stone, i get a nice, solid copper penny reading. Not too excited, since there is a fair amount of modern hunting/shooting/camping in the area, but this signal is in the very center of a fenced off plot. Start digging, and about 6" down I see a coin. My mind starts telling me "this could be your first IHP!!!" First thing I see on it is the memorial... not even a wheatie... 1978. Better than a zlincon I suppose, but sure had me excited for a second!

Upvote 18

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well at least you didn't loose a gold coin. Hope that you recover the other tag soon.

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool find! One is rare, two is awesome. Good luck in your search :thumbsup:

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice token. I hope you find the other. We used to take that " Oh my god road" when I was a kid. Sounds like a simular place. I wish I had been into detecting back then. My Dad had a piece of crud detetector that shieded my away from detecting. You may want to track down the mine entrance, there may be a few more. Happy Hunting.

There is a little info on it here:
https://books.google.com/books?id=2...e&q=the cadiz mining company colorado&f=false

I left a coin at my Grandpas headstone. Sometimes those coins are sentimental.

WawaDuane

Oct 12, 2013
Northern Ontario
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro International
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Miner's tags are cool....I'm a miner, so I can really appreciate any mining related stuff.

rainorshine

Oct 6, 2013
Black Hills, SD
Detector(s) used
AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice tag! Not sure if theres anything worth finding that would make me go digging in a cemetery. Bad joo joo in my opinion.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AugustMoose87

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No luck finding #95 yesterday, we checked everywhere we went between finding it and realizing I'd lost it except the original site. Going to do some more of the same with her and my daughter this weekend, so we'll stop by the original site and hope it's there.

You may want to track down the mine entrance, there may be a few more

All the mine in the area are either reclaimed or privately owned, but I've worked entrances at other mines I've come across for the very reason. These two were in the remains of what I understand to be an old office building.

As to all the cemetery comments... I get them, but at least hear me out before you judge me. I started detecting cemeteries about 2 years ago, when the care taker of the one in the town I work for asked me to locate some section markers that had been lost/burried. After I found the one he was looking for, he encouraged me to come back when I had time.... and find the rest. I ended up sweeping most of that cemetery (I'm still not done there), and it was a very unique, rewarding experience. I removed an ungodly amount of trash, mostly in the for of wires from fake flowers, foil from real flowers, bottle tops and pull tabs, and shotgun, rifle and handgun shells. I've returned a bunch of stuff to the headstone I believe it belonged to, helped locate lost/damaged grave markers, and even have 1 undocumented, shallow grave I discovered. Honestly, I have nothing of much interest to show - 2 early 1900's buttons and an "interesting to me" costume jewelry earing. I've taken MAYBE $1 in modern clad home that didn't have an obvious home. It's a location I honestly have nothing worthwhile to show for, yet I'm drawn there for the exact reason so many won't go there - I believe by cleaning up the trash and returning what I can to its home, I actually get some good juju for my efforts. Like I said, I get it, I've had people come up and accuse me of grave robbing, but once I show them my finds pouch, explain that I don't take things with obvious homes (and can tell them to go check "John Smiths" grave for proof, because clearly he liked copper pennies, because there is a PILE of them at his stone) they see I'm not out for treasure.

Above all else, I am 100% confident and comfortable that everything I'm doing is not only legal, but moral, and I'm pretty dang confident any rational person who takes the time to listen to what I'm ACTUALLY doing would agree.

*dismounts soap box*

OP
OP
AugustMoose87

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No luck at the last spot, so I'm resigned to #95 having been returned to the wild. I just hope someone else who appreciates it will find ut

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
Congrats on your mining tags!

I've found a couple of mining tags while detecting Nevada ghost towns, unfortunately they've never had the mining company name on them....would be ecstatic to dig one that did.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread