Mining Activity SE of Hackberry Mesa

skyhawk1251

Nov 9, 2018
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Using GE, I spotted a good-sized mine dump at the upper end of a ravine SE of Hackberry Mesa. My topo map doesn't show a mine located there. From the mouth of the ravine, it looks like almost a 300-foot climb to the mine. Someone viewing this might know the name of the mine and its history.

I also see what could be dumps in a small, concentrated area nearby. Those are shown enclosed in red boxes in the last image. I chose an overhead view to show all of the dumps in one image.

005.png

003.png

004.png

OP
OP
skyhawk1251

skyhawk1251

Nov 9, 2018
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here are some more surface features near the large mine dump and on Hackberry Mesa. Those who are scanning the area using GE might want to study these features (enclosed in red boxes). The last image shows what could be man-made ruins on Hackberry Mesa. It looks like a very old foundation with straight lines and right angles. Doesn't look natural to my eyes. In the first two images, I see a white-colored dyke/outcrop running from above the mine down to it (easier to see in the first image).

007.png

008.png

006.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
skyhawk1251

skyhawk1251

Nov 9, 2018
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I see that nobody has noticed the error in my thread title, so I'll point it out. The mine and mine dump is located NE of Hackberry Mesa, not SE (first image below). The ravine where it's located is not clearly shown on my topo map. The suspected dumps in a small, concentrated area are located directly EAST of the north end of Hackberry Mesa (second image below). The last image is an overhead view of the ravine with the mine and mine dump. The bottom of the ravine is very rocky and filled with dense vegetation.

I'm not sure what path the miner/miners would have taken to get to and from the mine. Before the days of the wilderness area, a vehicle could have been driven to the bottom of the ravine. From there, the only way up would be by foot, with burros carrying the heavy loads. Mining tools and some other supplies could have been stored inside the mine. Shelter at the mining campsite most probably would have been a large tent.

It would be interesting to explore the mine and surrounding area to see if anything was left behind. Even a garbage pit could provide some clues as to when the mine was active. Looking at the size of the dump, and comparing it to others in the Cerbat Mountains, I would guess that the adit is no more than 50 feet in length.

009.png

011.png

012.png

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skyhawk

Looking at the dimension of the debris out of the mine, there should be a tunnel about 100-120 feet long. I estimated the debris to about 400 tons.

OP
OP
skyhawk1251

skyhawk1251

Nov 9, 2018
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Skyhawk

Looking at the dimension of the debris out of the mine, there should be a tunnel about 100-120 feet long. I estimated the debris to about 400 tons.

And that would make exploring that mine site even more interesting. Four hundred tons of muck gives some credence to that mine being a serious proposition, both in time and labor. I have to give a salute of respect to the miner/miners who worked that mine. They truly were dedicated individuals. Also, I have to add that what I thought was Hackberry Mesa, is actually a no-name mesa to the SW of Hackberry Mesa, but the GE images give the correct coordinates to the mine and other "anomalies." Sometimes I'm very poor working with topo maps, as in this case. I've scanned the area around the no-name mesa and on Hackberry Mesa, but I see no other evidence of mining activity, thus far. This mine looks like a good destination for someone who wants a challenging adventure for a day hike.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
And that would make exploring that mine site even more interesting. Four hundred tons of muck gives some credence to that mine being a serious proposition, both in time and labor. I have to give a salute of respect to the miner/miners who worked that mine. They truly were dedicated individuals. Also, I have to add that what I thought was Hackberry Mesa, is actually a no-name mesa to the SW of Hackberry Mesa, but the GE images give the correct coordinates to the mine and other "anomalies." Sometimes I'm very poor working with topo maps, as in this case. I've scanned the area around the no-name mesa and on Hackberry Mesa, but I see no other evidence of mining activity, thus far. This mine looks like a good destination for someone who wants a challenging adventure for a day hike.
i'm pretty sure that is one of barry storms mines he was messing with

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
Using GE, I spotted a good-sized mine dump at the upper end of a ravine SE of Hackberry Mesa. My topo map doesn't show a mine located there. From the mouth of the ravine, it looks like almost a 300-foot climb to the mine. Someone viewing this might know the name of the mine and its history.

I also see what could be dumps in a small, concentrated area nearby. Those are shown enclosed in red boxes in the last image. I chose an overhead view to show all of the dumps in one image.

View attachment 1939131

View attachment 1939132

View attachment 1939133
That mine is on the east slope and straight up is another one near the top with a room in the back and a pit mine above. And straight across from that is a smelter and down below is a ore crusher. I've posted alot of pictures of these mines.

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
Easy to get there you stay on trail all the way. park at the first parking area with the Corel around it and a outhouse. Walk back out to the road and walk east about 100 yards or so and you'll see a opening in the fence follow the trail north till you come too the garden valley turn stay north till the trail is about as low as the creek bed. Alot of small rocks there contain copper and some small amounts of gold, take a jewelers loupe with you.
From there cross the creek east you should see the horse trail follow it takes you to the mine. Straight up from there is the other mine with the room at the back. I already picked up the surface sample some one left there outside by the mine.

Attachments

• 16332267460037509798768206265570.jpg
    16332267460037509798768206265570.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 98
OP
OP
skyhawk1251

skyhawk1251

Nov 9, 2018
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
"That mine is on the east slope and straight up is another one near the top with a room in the back and a pit mine above. And straight across from that is a smelter and down below is a ore crusher. I've posted a lot of pictures of these mines." -- wrmickel1

I haven't spotted a smelter or an ore crusher. You don't mention if GE is good enough to show them. Can you point me to the pictures you've posted of these mines? Links to them, or a new post to this thread would be appreciated. Any guess as to when the mines were active and if any were named?

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What was he mining out of it, any Idea. That one goes along way back into the hill.

babymick1
I would suggest you ask someone on the Lost Dutchman Mine site and see if any of the researcher's can locate the history of the mine and when Jay took it over. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis
What was he mining out of it, any Idea. That one goes along way back into the hill.

babymick1

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya,ll have such wonderful place names,Hackberry Mesa,got a ring to it,we got hackberry trees,but no mesas in this part of Arkansas.

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
I would suggest you ask someone on the Lost Dutchman Mine site and see if any of the researcher's can locate the history of the mine and when Jay took it over. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis
So your saying someone mined it before he did.

Babymick1

OP
OP
skyhawk1251

skyhawk1251

Nov 9, 2018
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
"I would suggest you ask someone on the Lost Dutchman Mine site and see if any of the researcher's can locate the history of the mine and when Jay took it over. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis"

wrmickel1 -- Nothing came up when I Googled searched, "Jay Clapp Mine," but Jay Clapp's was just one of multiple, mysterious deaths in the 1960's. I would guess that some old-timers still living in the local area could have had some personal contact with Jay Clapp, and they might know some of the story behind his mining activities.

"In the Fall of 1961, police began searching for a prospector by the name of Jay Clapp, who had been working on Superstition Mountain on and off for a decade and a half. Clapp had been missing since July. After a thorough search, the hunt was called off. Three years later his headless skeleton was finally discovered."

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jabez Clapp's mine is located in Maricopa County. You will have to locate the mine through the mining claims at the Maricopa County Recorders office. I do not think that Clapp ever filed a claim but just moved into the mine. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis
The GPS for the mine is, 33 29 54N, 111 26 00W

OP
OP
skyhawk1251

skyhawk1251

Nov 9, 2018
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A diligent researcher of all things related to the Superstition Mountains sent me an old newspaper article that answers many questions about Jabez Clapp. The location of the mine, which is shown in my initial post, gives it very high probability that it is the mine that was occupied by Clapp.

Clapp.png

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread