Misc data and adventures of a Tayopa treasure hunter

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
On behalf of the family of Don Jose' Real de Tayopa thank you for all your kind thoughts and prayers.

He would like it if we would continue this thread in his honor, sharing our tales and adventures. Please don't stop our virtual campfire get-together, you know he would love it if we carried on this lovely tradition. Share your stories. Don Jose' will approve.

Oroblanco

Sock coffee anyone?

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2:

Ponteach

Feb 1, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oro
couples of words Don jose wrote in post 7604
( Oro, never forget that you have been been selected to carry on with the great Tayopa.If there is something that you aren't clear on ? )
prediction??

lilorphanannie

Apr 19, 2008
I had the pleasure and honor of knowing Don Jose in person and long before the advent of the internet. We both are residents of Mexico . My deepest condolences to his family and sincerest respect because I know what it took to do what he did back in the day. He was the last of his kind. A legend larger than life and I tend to believe he will forever continue to be one . Prayers go out to the family.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Oro
couples of words Don jose wrote in post 7604
( Oro, never forget that you have been been selected to carry on with the great Tayopa.If there is something that you aren't clear on ? )
prediction??

No one could tell the story of Tayopa and Don Jose but the man who lived it himself. And besides, he already wrote his book here on Treasurenet in his posts. If assembled together you have his book.

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2: :coffee2:

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No one could tell the story of Tayopa and Don Jose but the man who lived it himself. And besides, he already wrote his book here on Treasurenet in his posts. If assembled together you have his book.

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2: :coffee2:

I wonder if there is a journal or binder of stories that were jotted down somewhere. It sounded like there was an effort of some sort to put together a book. Likely a lot of research files.

Hopefully they do not end up discarded by someone unfamiliar.

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi amigos of Don Jose,

It has a been a while, and to break the silence, here is something I came across as I was browsing about vintage cameras the other day. The news is a couple of years old, however the story is amazing. It tells about one of the last remaining four vintage camera repairmen in Australia and who was contemplating to retire and in the process sell his personal service notes accumulated over four decades. Such individuals are becoming scarce in the world like an endangered species. After some years it is highly likely that the art and craft of servicing vintage cameras, vintage watches etc would entirely be a lost art. Anyway check the short article of the amazing story of this vintage camera repair man

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-20/vintage-camera-restorations-captured-in-vast-archive/10420278

TT

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi amigos of Don Jose,

It has a been a while, and to break the silence, here is something I came across as I was browsing about vintage cameras the other day. The news is a couple of years old, however the story is amazing. It tells about one of the last remaining four vintage camera repairmen in Australia and who was contemplating to retire and in the process sell his personal service notes accumulated over four decades. Such individuals are becoming scarce in the world like an endangered species. After some years it is highly likely that the art and craft of servicing vintage cameras, vintage watches etc would entirely be a lost art. Anyway check the short article of the amazing story of this vintage camera repair man

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-20/vintage-camera-restorations-captured-in-vast-archive/10420278

TT

Gidday TT

Sadly many skills are being lost a sign of a throw away consumer society. Most items built today have inbuilt obsolescence.

One example LG had a top of the range fridge. Ice maker water dispenser and intelligent control from the fridge with internet connection.that can send you a text if your milk is running low etc.. Just 1 day after warranty expired the fridge died. One chip in the Ice maker is what they call a suicide chip after a given time it is meant to fail.

The rest of the fridge will work except the ice maker chip shows error thus stopping the rest of the fridge working. That only thing that needs replacing is that chip. And guess what they are not available.

I guess many people have stories in that regards.

Crow

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This may be inappropriate here, but I was wondering if family put together an obituary yet?
I would be grateful if it was posted here if something like that is being written.

I realize this isn’t something every family does and many times it is delayed understandably. I just wanted to ask.

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
This may be inappropriate here, but I was wondering if family put together an obituary yet?
I would be grateful if it was posted here if something like that is being written.

I realize this isn’t something every family does and many times it is delayed understandably. I just wanted to ask.

Sadly I have been keeping my eye out but I have not come across any obituary at least online.

Crow

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks Crow,,,,
those are very good current examples.....even big tech projects like Mobile networks installed in Municipalities in large scale have these issues and the customer is made to rely on the vendor company to rectify problems in the system after the usual one or two year warranty is over (in which time nothing seems to happen),,then software glitches and system malfunction as well as hardware problems begin to appear for which the vendor company would ask outrageous figures to rectify or replace (in the case of hardware),,, basic to intermediate level training courses for tech personnel of the customer usually would be included as part of the initial project deal,,, and the vendor company may agree to give a third level advanced level training for a fee ,..however the quite advanced or fourth level troubleshooting skills would not be available to the customer,..,this is usually an R&D secret of the vendor company and that is exactly what is usually needed to rectify the glitches that start to appear after the warranty...the odd part is that the so called "expert" that comes to rectify the system usually just runs a simple software script and the issue is resolved within less than half an hour but the cost of the service is astronomical for the customer and this would happen from time to tome across all the installed network,,,it is the exploitation and greed of the times...

Returning to customer goods, early and mid century customer goods (TVs, radios, vinyl record players etc) were carefully designed to have an artistic and aesthetic appeal (in line with the art style of the era like art deco, midcentury etc )that they were part of the home decor... and the materials used to make their casings like Bakelite etc made them very desirable to behold ... there was a beauty and an elegance about them. Alas now that is not the case,,,,there could be many explanation for these but all the same the trend is a downward trend ....

TT

Last edited:

J.A.A.

Sep 1, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Pro Pointer
Joseph passed away two nights ago @ 9 pm, peacefully. He is back with his Berta now. We are going to miss him terribly. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.
Roy

Good evening all-

If you guys will permit me, here’s my own personal Don Jose story which ought to explain the type of person he was:
I once sent him a PM to inquire about a book that he’d mentioned which I was having a hard time finding an original copy of (“Jesuit Gold: A Treasure Hunters Guide to Tayopa” by Adrian Westwood). It was only a few hours later that he responded by telling me that he believed he could help and then asked for my address. I thought that it was a bit strange for someone I’d never met to ask for personal info like that but from everything I’d read in his posts across the different treasure hunting sites over the years, he’d never given me an impression that he would have some sort of malicious intent...so I gave him my address.

It was about a week later that I received a package from Mexico, after not knowing anyone from there and having totally forgotten that I’d given him my address. What did I find in the box after opening it up...Don Jose’s VERY OWN copy of the book!! Not only that, but he’d even included a brief note which simply said “Here ya go Justin, have fun. Joe aka Don Jose”!
I couldn’t believe it! I immediately sent him a message to profusely thank him while also making sure that he didn’t want/need the book back. He responded with a simple “I’ve gotten plenty out of it; now it’s time for someone else to enjoy it”!

That should tell everyone what type of person Don Jose (Joe) was. Not only was he generous, but in this day & age of rampant lethargy, he had a knack for reminding us of the fun & adventure that awaited if we simply put our “boots on the ground”.

RIP Don Jose de La Mancha
Thank you for your yarns and your kindness Joe.
You will certainly be missed.

All the best to everyone-
-Justin
IMG_0334.jpg

Last edited:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
J.A.A. -

I'm sure you will hold onto that book! You will have a very hard time finding another one - even if you're willing to spend $100 or so.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

PS: Send me a PM if you'd like a collection of Tayopa articles. In memory of Don Jose.

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Good evening all-

If you guys will permit me, here’s my own personal Don Jose story which ought to explain the type of person he was:
I once sent him a PM to inquire about a book that he’d mentioned which I was having a hard time finding an original copy of (“Jesuit Gold: A Treasure Hunters Guide to Tayopa” by Adrian Westwood). It was only a few hours later that he responded by telling me that he believed he could help and then asked for my address. I thought that it was a bit strange for someone I’d never met to ask for personal info like that but from everything I’d read in his posts across the different treasure hunting sites over the years, he’d never given me an impression that he would have some sort of malicious intent...so I gave him my address.

It was about a week later that I received a package from Mexico, after not knowing anyone from there and having totally forgotten that I’d given him my address. What did I find in the box after opening it up...Don Jose’s VERY OWN copy of the book!! Not only that, but he’d even included a brief note which simply said “Here ya go Justin, have fun. Joe aka Don Jose”!
I couldn’t believe it! I immediately sent him a message to profusely thank him while also making sure that he didn’t want/need the book back. He responded with a simple “I’ve gotten plenty out of it; now it’s time for someone else to enjoy it”!

That should tell everyone what type of person Don Jose (Joe) was. Not only was he generous, but in this day & age of rampant lethargy, he had a knack for reminding us of the fun & adventure that awaited if we simply put our “boots on the ground”.

RIP Don Jose de La Mancha
Thank you for your yarns and your kindness Joe.
You will certainly be missed.

All the best to everyone-
-Justin
View attachment 1917975

A lovely memento of Don Jose.

Crow

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Amigos,

Check this link about a developing saga about a potential find of a lost Caravaggio in Spain...the news link puts the chain of events ...In my opinion the two Italian dealers would have got this picture unnoticed at the Madrid auction had they moved wisely and in collaboration. That didnt happen ...and the news leaked as a result ...

https://www.theguardian.com/artandd...-inside-story-of-an-old-master-found-in-spain

TT

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Amigos,

Check this link about a developing saga about a potential find of a lost Caravaggio in Spain...the news link puts the chain of events ...In my opinion the two Italian dealers would have got this picture unnoticed at the Madrid auction had they moved wisely and in collaboration. That didnt happen ...and the news leaked as a result ...

https://www.theguardian.com/artandd...-inside-story-of-an-old-master-found-in-spain

TT

Gidday TT

Its not the only lost alleged Caravaggio to come to light.

In 2014, French homeowners in Toulouse discovered much more than just a puddle in the attic while trying to fix their leaky roof. Tucked away in the rafters was a hidden painting that may be the handiwork of Italian artist Caravaggio.

The painting—a version of the artist’s Judith Beheading Holofernes (1599 to 1602), on display in Rome’s National Gallery of Ancient Art—was cleaned and analyzed in Paris, where experts debated its true origins. Some experts claim that Louis Finson—a 17th-century Flemish Baroque painter who both studied and imitated Caravaggio’s style—created the work, while others believe that the Renaissance master painted it himself sometime in the early 1600s.

(According to Finson’s will, the Flemish painter owned a copy of Judith Beheading Holofernes, but it disappeared around 400 years ago.)

Art expert Eric Turquin asserts that the attic Caravaggio is indeed genuine, citing its brush strokes, intricate details, and use of light and energetic style as proof. Other experts, like British art critic Jonathan Jones, claim that the painting lacks Caravaggio’s “psychological intensity” or signature realism. Meanwhile, the contested Caravaggio work continues to be a magnet for controversy. In 2016, art historian Giovanni Agosti resigned from the board of Milan’s Brera Art Gallery after the institution displayed the work alongside authenticated Caravaggio paintings.

That said, you won’t be seeing the polarizing Judith Beheading Holofernes replica showcased abroad anytime soon: The French government has placed an export ban on the canvas until November 2018, to prevent it being snapped up by an international collector.

aetwork.JPG

Crow

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
Hi Crow, have you seen some Caravaggios?
far from a critic, so I will, but I found them to be exaggerated in their focus
like an author who underlined and highlighted
of course he had that kind of life
get it on

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Crow, have you seen some Caravaggios?
far from a critic, so I will, but I found them to be exaggerated in their focus
like an author who underlined and highlighted
of course he had that kind of life
get it on

Gidday Bill

Not my cup of tea. For me most of his works subject matter are too dark and brooding. But perhaps it was just the style subject matter of the time?

However if I found one I would not complain.8-)

Crow

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Crow, I do recall that news though I didn't follow the unfolded saga....the art world is an intrigue filled world with many players, multi layered politics ,marketing(branding), hype and greed ....but all the same it is interesting to see such finds once in a while... especially when it benefits simple folks.

TT

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gidday Bill

Not my cup of tea. For me most of his works subject matter are too dark and brooding. But perhaps it was just the style subject matter of the time?

However if I found one I would not complain.8-)

Crow
Caravaggio and other baroque era works have that unique feature they call " Chiaroscuro" which is a dramatic contrast of light and darkness...it is also visible in Dutch golden era works like the "Night watch" which were also essentially Baroque era works...
TT

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread