MISSOURI TREASURE LEAD

Kenjmor2006

Jan 14, 2011
Back in the early 1970's I had a friend who worked in a food mart at Excelsior Springs Missouri,I went in one day and he asked me to meet him at a nearby resturant.When he got there he very excitedly told me about a old woman who come in and was fumbling with her coin purse,he made a joke and said he would get his friends metal detector, she asked what that was and he told her,she then told him she knew where some gold was buried in a copper tea kettle,she explained to him when she was a little girl maby 5 or 6 that her grandfather was left one night to babysit her while the rest went somewhere,when everyone was gone her grandfather took a bunch of gold coins out behind the wood pile,and put them in a old teakettle,he then took her out by a welled in spring with a lantern by her and sat her on the end of a rock wall and went on the other side of the spring,she said it was dark and she could hear him digging with a shovel he had bought along,he died shortly after that but no one could find the money he buried.The way I undestood it,the grandfathers home was at McFall Missouri. The womans Married name was Elizabeth Davis,her father Heartwell Bohannon. I was suppose to go in two weeks with my friend and the woman to look,when it was time in two weeks I went to my friends house and he had died from a blood clot in the brain,I found the woman she had just been placed in a rest home with a stroke and did not even know her own name. with research I am sure this one is still there......Good hunting KJMOR2006

fronjm05

May 8, 2013
Alta California
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2<br />
Fisher Gemini III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This story is cool! I have family that lives in Excelsior Springs, I doubt they have much info on it, but I am visiting them soon, thought I could look up some articles while im around there. Did you ever get any more info on this subject? thanks

gonzo_life

Tenderfoot
Apr 21, 2013
Kansas City, MO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. Well, this one hits close to home...

I was raised in Excelsior, and my Father is from McFall. Small...SMALL town. I think I'm related to a good portion of the population. Worth checking out, for sure!

Hillbilly Joe

Feb 5, 2014
MT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone know of any good spots to metal detect in blue springs or independence missouri?

Do some Civil war research as far as maps, I know that if you crawl around on some of the river banks, esp. the mighty mo, your bound to find some good stuff

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Just as a word to the wise ,Don't get caught digging for artifacts or anything on the River banks ! It's illegible to remove anything and if reported the Missouri Department of Natural Resources WILL have you arrested and fined heavily !

massey631

Apr 25, 2022
Just as a word to the wise ,Don't get caught digging for artifacts or anything on the River banks ! It's illegible to remove anything and if reported the Missouri Department of Natural Resources WILL have you arrested and fined heavily !
Normally people do this in secret so to catch them would be highly unlikely since people are good at sneaking around avoiding the law. I do remember some people saying it was easy to get around since they did it for years and were never caught or busted when they went around those places.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions