iliveinahole

Dec 20, 2021
Eastern Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok....so I'm going to post my newly acquired collection and ask a favor for you guys to dissect it, or some, and give me you're honest opinion. My question is to find out first, if they all are genuine; and 2nd what you would've been willing to purchase all of it, and take into consideration as if it was in the same area as you live or grew up in or is your favorite area to collect from. That was definitely the case with these for me.
I know I've asked a lot of you big dogs that have helped me out on several posts before and tried to give you a break from me, but the info and feedback has been incredibly helpful and fun learning about and had to ask not only again, but on a lot. Real or not I'm here to learn, but I will say that this post will most likely cause me to spontaneously combust if the consensus is that they're fake. Mainly because of how much these were, but also because I feel fairly confident they are authentic and will lose all faith in my judgement if they're not.
Ok...I'm rambling again arent I? Time to release the hounds and see what you fellas come up with. Whatever you can help with will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help and a huge thank you to those that have been helping me along since the beginning and keep coming back for more. 😁👍
Had a hell of a time getting pictures to upload here. May have to post more after this.

Attachments

• 20220114_190440.jpg
    20220114_190440.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 112
  • 20220114_191523.jpg
    20220114_191523.jpg
    1,009.3 KB · Views: 112
  • 20220114_191125.jpg
    20220114_191125.jpg
    944.7 KB · Views: 107
  • 20220114_190902.jpg
    20220114_190902.jpg
    923.1 KB · Views: 105
  • 20220114_190440.jpg
    20220114_190440.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 101
  • 20220114_190452.jpg
    20220114_190452.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 95
  • 20220114_190440.jpg
    20220114_190440.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 92
  • 20220114_190902.jpg
    20220114_190902.jpg
    923.1 KB · Views: 87
  • 20220114_190537.jpg
    20220114_190537.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 77
  • 20220114_190521.jpg
    20220114_190521.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 72
  • 20220114_190501.jpg
    20220114_190501.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 71
  • 20220114_190452.jpg
    20220114_190452.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 112
Upvote 7
OP
OP
I

iliveinahole

Dec 20, 2021
Eastern Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok....so I'm going to post my newly acquired collection and ask a favor for you guys to dissect it, or some, and give me you're honest opinion. My question is to find out first, if they all are genuine; and 2nd what you would've been willing to purchase all of it, and take into consideration as if it was in the same area as you live or grew up in or is your favorite area to collect from. That was definitely the case with these for me.
I know I've asked a lot of you big dogs that have helped me out on several posts before and tried to give you a break from me, but the info and feedback has been incredibly helpful and fun learning about and had to ask not only again, but on a lot. Real or not I'm here to learn, but I will say that this post will most likely cause me to spontaneously combust if the consensus is that they're fake. Mainly because of how much these were, but also because I feel fairly confident they are authentic and will lose all faith in my judgement if they're not.
Ok...I'm rambling again arent I? Time to release the hounds and see what you fellas come up with. Whatever you can help with will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help and a huge thank you to those that have been helping me along since the beginning and keep coming back for more. 😁👍
Had a hell of a time getting pictures to upload here. May have to post more after this.
Uh yeah...not sure what happens with duplicate pictures 🤔 Will try sending more. Let me know if you need a better/different picture.

Attachments

• 20220114_191359.jpg
    20220114_191359.jpg
    870.8 KB · Views: 61
  • 20220114_191650.jpg
    20220114_191650.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 66
  • 20220114_191803.jpg
    20220114_191803.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 64
  • 20220114_191818.jpg
    20220114_191818.jpg
    989.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 20220114_191137.jpg
    20220114_191137.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 61
  • 20220114_191132.jpg
    20220114_191132.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 59
  • 20220114_191025.jpg
    20220114_191025.jpg
    873.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 20220114_191017.jpg
    20220114_191017.jpg
    732.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 20220114_190943.jpg
    20220114_190943.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 57
  • 20220114_191002.jpg
    20220114_191002.jpg
    992.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 20220114_190926.jpg
    20220114_190926.jpg
    815.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 20220114_191822.jpg
    20220114_191822.jpg
    918 KB · Views: 57

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not from my area but I see some things to like as far as authenticity. There’s some imperfections, broken tips, variety of material, and no thunder birds or anything like that. I’m no price expert but I don’t see any obvious high dollar points, i may be way off but I’d count up the points and multiply by 5$

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic! There are some real gemmy points in there. I cannot imagine why the collection would be fake as your grandpa had land upon which to collect.

If you get around to it and are willing to share, I’d love to see his stone collection as well.

If you want to learn, I’d research a single point then upload a picture here for verification by peers. Eventually you will become familiar with the technical terminology they use.

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you want to learn, I’d research a single point then upload a picture here for verification by peers. Eventually you will become familiar with the technical terminology they use.
I think this is a good idea too. Too many points pictured is somewhat overwhelming to a lot of us and you won't get as many responses. I'd recommend several close up pictures front and back in focus of a single piece at various angles.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
So, you went ahead and bought the multiple frames from the antique guy... good for you. You will never regret it. Your points are all very typical Columbia River points. I see Rose Springs, Rabbit Island, Desert Delta, Cold Springs, Plateau, Cascade, Dagger, etc. Don't get hung up on "type" name, be content with "shape" name...(contracting stem, basal notch, expanding stem, cornet notch etc.) Your smaller points are typically in the 300 to 700 year range, the larger ones can be quite a bit older. The smaller ones, depending on material, damage, skill in making, comfortably sell for between $5 and $15. The medium size ones for up to about $35, the larger ones even more. There is a huge market for Columbia River points specifically, with no shortage of customers. But to get best prices you would have to sell things one at a time. This is a nice way to "recreate" your grandpa's collection. There is no reason to doubt the authenticity of these points...they are just not valuable enough to bother.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, you went ahead and bought the multiple frames from the antique guy... good for you. You will never regret it. Your points are all very typical Columbia River points. I see Rose Springs, Rabbit Island, Desert Delta, Cold Springs, Plateau, Cascade, Dagger, etc. Don't get hung up on "type" name, be content with "shape" name...(contracting stem, basal notch, expanding stem, cornet notch etc.) Your smaller points are typically in the 300 to 700 year range, the larger ones can be quite a bit older. The smaller ones, depending on material, damage, skill in making, comfortably sell for between $5 and $15. The medium size ones for up to about $35, the larger ones even more. There is a huge market for Columbia River points specifically, with no shortage of customers. But to get best prices you would have to sell things one at a time. This is a nice way to "recreate" your grandpa's collection. There is no reason to doubt the authenticity of these points...they are just not valuable enough to bother.
I was under the impression, this was a collection that was inherited from grandpa. Is this not the case?

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My best advice: if you are going to buy entire collections, also buy Jim Bennett's excellent book about how to spot modern reproductions. (aka 'fakes'). Price with shipping about $44. Next step would be to buy a stereo microscope and learn how to use it. (...not hard!...) Mine is very good and cost $250. Over the long haul, they will pay for themselves. Plus, you can always sell your 'scope for about what you paid for it. All sorts of collectors can use one. (coins, stamps, playing cards, etc)

OP
OP
I

iliveinahole

Dec 20, 2021
Eastern Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think this is a good idea too. Too many points pictured is somewhat overwhelming to a lot of us and you won't get as many responses. I'd recommend several close up pictures front and back in focus of a single piece at various angles.
Sorry for the delayed response. Posted pictures when I thought I'd have a couple days off and next thing I knew I was on the other side of Oregon.
Completely agree and feel foolish for putting all of them on one posting. I'll blame it on being overly excited to show you guys and being a rookie. I will definitely take your guys advice on posting individuals. Looking at my pics now I realize how it doesn't do justice for each piece and how hard it is to really make a true judgement on them looking though a case from a distance. Thank you for the advice and patience with my "New Guy" status. It really helps a lot having you guys giving me pointers (no pun intended) and doing it in a way that is respectful to newbies that is really elementary to most of you.

OP
OP
I

iliveinahole

Dec 20, 2021
Eastern Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was under the impression, this was a collection that was inherited from grandpa. Is this not the case?
Apologize for taking so long to answer, but its been a nightmare last few days.
Figured I'd respond to all your posts thru this one. So first is to clarify my grandfathers collection. My grandpa had a large collection of arrowheads, stone tools, baskets, and a few misc. Around a decade after he had passed back in the early 80's, his home was broken into and ransacked for days. They took all the baskets, most of the arrowheads, some of the stone tools, as well as countless other things including 11 rifles from the 1800's and early 1900's. It has pissed me off beyond imagination since I was kid when this happened. I only have a few pictures of the baskets and some other items to look at now of what he had. Luckily several stone tools and some arrowheads were separate in a box under his desk that they didn't see or realize what it was.
I have always wished I could have the old collection magically reappear, but obviously not going to happen. So what I did was I found an arrowhead collection that belonged to a family in eastern Oregon. I knew it wasn't my gramps but they were from the same area and could try telling myself that maybe some of his had somehow ended up in their collection. So with the exception of about 10 of the arrowheads in this post, they were not collected by my grandfather. Everything else I've already posted was all his doing. Not sure how many posts I've done, but were done over the last 2 to 3 weeks I believe. Hopefully you are able to look them up and if not I will send you the pictures.
Lastly, I think, great advice on singling out pieces to be looked at one at a time and not the bombardment of pictures from a distance. I feel ridiculous doing that and somehow thinking a fair judgement could be made on them. I will definitely do that from now on. I do still have several arrowheads that were grandpa's that I haven't shown.
Thanks for the advice and help. Hopefully I've cleared up any confusion and didn't cause more.

OP
OP
I

iliveinahole

Dec 20, 2021
Eastern Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been a crazy week but wanted to make sure I let you know how much I appreciate your response and information you provided. Buying them was pretty nerve wrecking because I'm fairly new to this and for how much they all cost. Glad I was able to get some help from you guys on here to give me the confidence to go ahead and get them. I am very glad I got them and made my mom cry when I showed up with them to replace the ones that had been stolen. You obviously have a lot of experience and knowledge with arrowheads and just the info in your response alone has been very helpful and gives me a better understanding. Very much appreciate you taking the time to write that all out and explain it all out like that. I've read it multiple times and will continue to use it as a reference.

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting burgled sucks, I’ve had my appt broken into in college, my family has a house that used to be my great grandparents that turned into a vacation house it was broken into before I was born and they took a lot of valuable family antiques that had made their way down there as people moved or died. Also I’ve mentioned before but there was a silver Jackson peace medal found on our property probably 100 years ago that disappeared when it was taken in town for inspection, i have a copy of the rubbing made before it was gone… it makes me mad too about what could have been… I guess we are thinking alike, I looked into buying another medal to replace it but a real one is out of my range so I got a copy and put it on a recreation choker.

Good to see someone taking interest in things like that, I may have a bit of hoarder in me but they way I see it, even if the stuff isn’t particularly interesting if I can keep family history in the family maybe someone down the line will find it a treasure, for example I’m never going to wear my great grandmas beaded purse haha. I hope you get yours all sorted and accounted for so you can keep your grandpas story going for many years

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for the delayed response. Posted pictures when I thought I'd have a couple days off and next thing I knew I was on the other side of Oregon.
Completely agree and feel foolish for putting all of them on one posting. I'll blame it on being overly excited to show you guys and being a rookie. I will definitely take your guys advice on posting individuals. Looking at my pics now I realize how it doesn't do justice for each piece and how hard it is to really make a true judgement on them looking though a case from a distance. Thank you for the advice and patience with my "New Guy" status. It really helps a lot having you guys giving me pointers (no pun intended) and doing it in a way that is respectful to newbies that is really elementary to most of you.
Every body was a new guy once,I,m a new guy when it comes to points too but I,m learning a great deal here.Fine folks.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apologize for taking so long to answer, but its been a nightmare last few days.
Figured I'd respond to all your posts thru this one. So first is to clarify my grandfathers collection. My grandpa had a large collection of arrowheads, stone tools, baskets, and a few misc. Around a decade after he had passed back in the early 80's, his home was broken into and ransacked for days. They took all the baskets, most of the arrowheads, some of the stone tools, as well as countless other things including 11 rifles from the 1800's and early 1900's. It has pissed me off beyond imagination since I was kid when this happened. I only have a few pictures of the baskets and some other items to look at now of what he had. Luckily several stone tools and some arrowheads were separate in a box under his desk that they didn't see or realize what it was.
I have always wished I could have the old collection magically reappear, but obviously not going to happen. So what I did was I found an arrowhead collection that belonged to a family in eastern Oregon. I knew it wasn't my gramps but they were from the same area and could try telling myself that maybe some of his had somehow ended up in their collection. So with the exception of about 10 of the arrowheads in this post, they were not collected by my grandfather. Everything else I've already posted was all his doing. Not sure how many posts I've done, but were done over the last 2 to 3 weeks I believe. Hopefully you are able to look them up and if not I will send you the pictures.
Lastly, I think, great advice on singling out pieces to be looked at one at a time and not the bombardment of pictures from a distance. I feel ridiculous doing that and somehow thinking a fair judgement could be made on them. I will definitely do that from now on. I do still have several arrowheads that were grandpa's that I haven't shown.
Thanks for the advice and help. Hopefully I've cleared up any confusion and didn't cause more.
I remember being told about this incident. This happened not to far from me. A real shame!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread