Monarch

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tried to get a good pic of this Monarch but he wouldn't co-operate. Couldn't get him with his wings spread all the way. My wife's zinnia patch is a magnet for butterflies. Gary

DSC08089.JPG DSC08091.JPG DSC08090.JPG

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice shots Butteries and zinnias are always a great combination .I plant a large amount of zinnias each year . They are easy to get started grow quickly and bloom for a long time. They are colorful and attach many different butterflies And to go with all that in the fall I pull the dried heads off and clean the seed from them and plant it the next year

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are good shots. They don't sit still very long and butterflies always seem to stop spreading their wings when you point a camera lens at them. Or at least to me they do.

OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice shots Butteries and zinnias are always a great combination .I plant a large amount of zinnias each year . They are easy to get started grow quickly and bloom for a long time. They are colorful and attach many different butterflies And to go with all that in the fall I pull the dried heads off and clean the seed from them and plant it the next year

We save the seeds each year too. We'll start dead heading these pretty soon. Gary

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful pics Gary. :icon_thumleft:

I remember when I was a kid, we always tried to catch them by grabbing them gently behind their wings.
I now know it wasn't a nice thing to do, but I was a stupid kid back then... who grew up to be a stupid adult.

“Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.” :laughing7:
― John Wayne

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Consider yourself lucky to get close enough for a photo. I have been raising Monarchs. I collect the caterpillars wherever I can before predators get them or the chrysalis. So far this season I have released 9 Monarchs. 5 males and 3 females. One was undetermined.
I use a small stick to transfer them to the flowers outside. At that time they always open and hold their wings fully. Perhaps still drying them. Great photo op at that time.
Monarch.jpg Monarch2.jpg

Last edited:

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No Gold That is very interesting information . How long does it take from the time you collect them as caterpillars until they hatch as butterflies Do you have any additional info An organization I do some volunteer work with is partenering with a group of 4th,5th and 6th grade students on a project involving wildflowers and pollinators . If we could get the kids into raising butterflies we could include sas part of our project Thanks

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice photo! :icon_thumleft: Sadly, I've seen none around my house this season. Usually, I have many since my gardens attract them eavry year. :dontknow:

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
glass half fool...
The process from egg to butterfly is weather dependent and also depends on the regional climate. It can take about four weeks in the peak of the summer in warmer climates. The egg takes 5 to 10 days, the larva/caterpillar and pupa/chrysalis each take about 10 to 14 days.
For me it depends on how big the caterpillar is when I find it. Sometimes they are only a quarter of an inch long and sometimes as big as my pinky finger. When they are big and fat, they attach to the top of the terrarium and hang upside down forming a J shape. The process from caterpillar to chrysalis is very interesting to watch. I have never witnessed the butterfly exit the chrysalis, but have seen the wings unfold and inflate. I think inflate is the correct term. The whole process is an amazing thing to see. And there are predators at each stage. So far this season I have released 14 and have 5 chrysalis, 3 J's, 1 looking for a spot to J, 4 caterpillars still feeding.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pics used to see them alot when I was a kid but hardly ever anymore Thanks for the cool pics

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread