MONROE POLITICAL BUTTON

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The other day I found a new site in the Jersey Pine Barrens. I found a 1798/1800 large cent along with some buttons and other trinkets. i usually clean the buttons enough to see the the back marks. I keep an eye out for Washington, Jackson, and Monroe. As luck would have it, one button was a rare Monroe political button. This one is a little different as the back mark does not have "Extra Strong" on it. It's a variety that I've never seen before. Can anyone here ID it?? Thanks

Attachments

• monroe1.jpg
    monroe1.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 116
  • Monroe.jpg
    Monroe.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 55
  • monroe2.jpg
    monroe2.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 49
Upvote 22

Cuda74

Jan 9, 2021
North Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec II, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other day I found a new site in the Jersey Pine Barrens. I found a 1798/1800 large cent along with some buttons and other trinkets. i usually clean the buttons enough to see the the back marks. I keep an eye out for Washington, Jackson, and Monroe. As luck would have it, one button was a rare Monroe political button. This one is a little different as the back mark does not have "Extra Strong" on it. It's a variety that I've never seen before. Can anyone here ID it?? Thanks
Cool piece.

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome find. Congratulations on the Monroe button!

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool find!! What is on the front?

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good find.
Your picture doesn't show enough of the backmark, what does it say?

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice thanks for sharing

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome find- Congrats!!

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe I am just not understanding this....how is it a political button by having Monroe as a backmark.....the link picture you show has one being a pricey button, but my screen won't zoom enough to read just why it may be so expensively priced. What is on the obverse of the button, the side that the politician wants people to see...or is Monroe just a makers name Just wondering, that's all.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe I am just not understanding this....how is it a political button by having Monroe as a backmark.....the link picture you show has one being a pricey button, but my screen won't zoom enough to read just why it may be so expensively priced. What is on the obverse of the button, the side that the politician wants people to see...or is Monroe just a makers name Just wondering, that's all.
These are just gilt & blank on the front. I've never quite understood why they are on the reverse where no one can see it, I guess it was the wearers secret.....
5th President;

OP
OP
cannonball

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool find!! What is on the front?
The front is blank. I think that makes them even harder to find. The name MONRE is on the back. One variety has extra strong on the back. i can't make out what else is on the back of mine as i didn't want to clean it too much when I saw MONROE. I'll just have to go find another one in better condition..... I wonder if they put the name on the back so people would no see the candidates that you supported at the time like Trump vs Biden. Anyway, I think it's another interesting piece of American history.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread