Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Getting this quick post out before the hurricane and inevitable loss of power from the wind! I am absolutely in SHOCK about what I walked up on in a sugarcane field last hunt! The heat was awful--101, and 111-112 with the heat index. Brutal. But we did it, and I'm really happy I went (as always). Here's the video:

So I did a couple rows in the early, already hot, morning. All the rows had washed down from the heavy rains we had, so lots of finds were exposed. Native American artifact hunters will recognize these prime conditions. Well, right on top of a row I saw what I thought was an aluminum Mardi Gras doubloon. Looked too big to be anything else! (Also, I'd just dug one of those pesky things at a newer site we scouted a few days before). Then I swung over it with the F75 and it read 91. 91!!! I bent about halfway over to get a closer look and almost fainted--it was a freaking MORGAN DOLLAR perched up on a pedestal of dirt where it'd washed out of the mud!!! Folks, my last Morgan was dug back in 1993 or so, at a lumber camp in Virginia deep in the woods. My wife, diggergirl dug one in Indiana around 2008 or so at a one-room schoolhouse site. So they are VERY infrequent finds. I was just shocked at how this was sitting there staring up at me. We dug lots of other good finds, including some Civil War buttons, relics, a gorgeous civilian two-piece button, plantation tokens, two more shield nickels from "nickel field" which brings the total now to 11 shield nickels from 3 hunts, and even MORE silver! So if you aren't watching the videos on my channel hopefully that will motivate you to see all the rest of what we found. Below are some photos of the silver dollar exactly as I found it, before I touched it the first time, along with a few other photos. Ended up being a STUNNING 1900-O Morgan Dollar!!!

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Now the hurricane is on us, so I'll sign off and save my cell battery. Stay safe, anyone who is in the path of this awful storm!

Best Wishes,

Buck

Attachments

• IMG_7254.jpeg
    IMG_7254.jpeg
    514 KB · Views: 917
  • IMG_7249.jpeg
    IMG_7249.jpeg
    551.1 KB · Views: 910
  • IMG_7263.jpeg
    IMG_7263.jpeg
    451.8 KB · Views: 936
  • IMG_7292.jpeg
    IMG_7292.jpeg
    698.3 KB · Views: 914
  • IMG_7270.jpeg
    IMG_7270.jpeg
    515.6 KB · Views: 895
  • IMG_7294.jpeg
    IMG_7294.jpeg
    327.6 KB · Views: 904
Upvote 66

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Don't happens often to get one of these big Silvers. And you didn't had to dig for it! Great in situ pics! :occasion14:

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome finds. love the morgan, congrats!

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm no way good in heat like that, you deserve everything you found, congratulations.

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing find! Hope all turns out well for all of you down there, stay safe!

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome find! Stay safe!!

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stay safe! That storm appears to be fierce. Let us know that you’re good to go as soon as possible.

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is so awesome. I've tried so hard to find any big silver but after my many years of metal detecting no luck. I have 3 of those but all given to me. 2 from my grandmother and 1 came from my father's collection when he decided to give me all his coins. But I'm going going say yours is way better than mine because the feeling of finding something like that can't be beat. I'll show mine. Also stay safe out there. Image (18).jpeg Image (19).jpeg Image (20).jpeg

NSR60

Mar 26, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find, congratulations! The first Morgan I ever saw was a 1900-O; a neighbor had it in his collection when I was seven years old.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on that big silver & I hope you stay safe.

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, 6000Di, Eagle, & PI 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find !! Congrats !!!
Here's wishing YOU "BuckleBoy", "TRUTH" & all of our Louisiana comrades the best during this terrible storm that has hit Louisiana head-on with full force. Hoping & praying all you folks, your families, friends, neighbors & colleagues get through this safely with minimum damage to your homes & properties. God bless you all. J.T.G.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread