Monsterrack Opinion

Oct 14, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wanted to start this to help some folks with what they are finding and it was asked for, but these photo's will only carry you so far. I say read and read and read some more, look at photos of artifacts and pay attention to detail and I mean every detail of an item. Ask someone their opinion on your finds, but if it is not what you want to hear, don't get your feelings hurt. I had a mentor, more than one so I was very blessed. Below I will go over what is chipped/knapped stone and talk about some tools using these photos.

The first 2 photos are of a natural piece of stone that was removed from a larger stone with a few chips that have been broken off by nature. View attachment 1434121 View attachment 1434122 The next photo show what a piece of stone looks like that man has knapped on. Most NA would try out a piece of stone just to see how it flaked or worked and just because you find one like this you can not say it is a hand axe. View attachment 1434123

The next few photos are what is called a preform blank. View attachment 1434125 View attachment 1434126 View attachment 1434127 You will notice that the edges are uneven, so this would not make a very good tool unless it was to be used 1 time. Now lets talk on tool types for a moment. In the 3rd photo in this section what you see is the wide end of this blank. You can not say this is a Celt or Adz because with such a jagged edge it would not work very well at all. A Adz has the center of the bit off to one side just like a modern chisel because that's what it was used for, to chop out material. Can you see a modern chisel working well with a broken metal edge. This photo is what a Adz edge would look like. View attachment 1434131 Notice the edge is off to one side of center.

The next photo is what the bit of a chipped Celt would look like. View attachment 1434127 Notice the center of the bit is in the middle of the blade, that way it can do what it was made for and that is chopping. Now to say was it used are not you are getting into another level so lets just stay on( Is this worked stone are not).

Flaking types or styles are something you will learn with time and working hard at the study of artifacts. These next photos show just a small example of flaking. View attachment 1434142 This photo shows what would be called a worked piece of stone. It has been knapped but not really worked on. View attachment 1434143 This last photo shows that someone took the time to try and make a tool out of the same stone on the same side has the other photo. You can see this in what is called flake scars , these will not wash away wear off unless it is some type of soft stone. Water will only give it a smooth shine from rolling in a creek. Notice one thing the little white spots that are all over were the flake was removed, that is what is called most of the time finger nail flakes. Sometimes and I say sometimes that is a red flag to some collectors for a reproduction, but we will cross that deep hole another time.

I hope this helps someone and I will be doing other post like this as time lets me another day. This site is not a place just to show our collections and finds, but a place that we can educate beginner and each other. If you have a question PM me and I will try to help, like most of the folks on this site we want to help you in this great hobby not mislead you, puff our self up are to say we know it all.
Would you be willing to take a look at what I think may be a stone tool that looks like it was made from the same type of rock as the last two photo's of the black/grey rock? Let me know if you're interested in checking it out, I have a video I took on my phone of it that shows all sides of it.

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would you be willing to take a look at what I think may be a stone tool that looks like it was made from the same type of rock as the last two photo's of the black/grey rock? Let me know if you're interested in checking it out, I have a video I took on my phone of it that shows all sides of it.
Post pictures of it from all directions and that are in focus when blown up.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes... bigger and better photos, or better camera if needed. Sometimes you can improve (if on a laptop) image quality on closeups.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
heartofstone, when you post pictures please post it here, the other thread was an information thread started by Monsterrack.

OP
OP
H
Oct 14, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post pictures of it from all directions and that are in focus when blown up.
I hope a video will suffice. Shows all angles of the stone and also demonstrates how I believe it was intended to be held. By using the finger placement shown in the video, I can push down will all of my strength without slipping from the grip.
Also, the stone itself is semi translucent. When shining a light through it the only part that is non-transparent is the white portion on the one side.
Lastly, I'm curious as to what the patch of copper looking material is on top. I assume its due to some sort of chemical process that took place in the rock overtime but I haven't been able to see any similar examples in my research.

Attachments

• 1812676-c56b9927ee578fd76a36e35f93fb434c.mov
    4.8 MB

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, it is a natural stone. the white area is the cortex. What you think is the "way it was supposed to be held" is the marvel of the human hand and opposing thumbs, you can take any rock and turn it enough times you will find a way to fit it to your hand.

For future reference pictures can be blown up and examined, videos can't.

OP
OP
H
Oct 14, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, it is a natural stone. the white area is the cortex. What you think is the "way it was supposed to be held" is the marvel of the human hand and opposing thumbs, you can take any rock and turn it enough times you will find a way to fit it to your hand.

For future reference pictures can be blown up and examined, videos can't.
Wow that's very surprising. What was the give away for you to realize it wasn't man made?

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s also the marvel of stones. I was thinking of this the other day when I found a utilized flake blade of chert. It was so small yet I found ways to hold it in my hand that you could never use a modern blade. It had shape to it..multiple faces that your hand could grip. Made me wonder if Modern knife blades were small with 3 dimensional relief and shape if they wouldn’t be super utilitarian for game processing. Would be very difficult to replicate and sparpen.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here in Florida I have found lots of what I just call flakes blades. Some are quite long. I think they had a good core and whacked off new blades as the old one wore out. It's true that they seem easy to hold with the curved shapes they end up in.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread