Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back to the park swimming areas where I have been finding all the gold. The beach was frozen hard as a brick so I went back to campus.

DAY 1
After the great hunt on campus last time I decided to grid the section of field where I had all the luck hoping to find more goodies. It didn’t work out. I found a few interesting items, but nothing good and only 7 cents. So I worked my way over to another area and I did find a few more coins, but again nothing great.

In 4.5 of swingin the CZ21 I found 32 coins with a face value of $1.53, 2 brass shell casings, a modern blazer button (brass front ferrous back), a cheapie earring, a golf ball marker, the copper outer shell of a modern bullet, the back part of a brass padlock complete with inner works, a Canadian penny, a mangled plated spoon, a harness ring, a plated brass chain (probably a necklace), a few tabs, can slaw and some large chunks of miscellaneous iron.

E81748A7-0BE1-43B3-ACB7-CD114D372CDB.jpeg

The lock is decently old and has a nice green color on the outside. Too bad the front is missing so I can’t tell what kind it is. It looks like it was hit by a mower or plow. Maybe as I continue the grid I will find the front. The chain looked like gold as it came out of the plug, but as I pulled more out I could see where the plating had come off, so darn it.

28FA81B8-D333-4E45-A89C-FDAE50B04980.jpeg

DAY 2
The camp ranger said scout camp didn’t get much snow and things are warming up so I took my weekly trip there to see if I could get lucky. There was about an inch of snow on the field I wanted to work and it was 27 degrees when I got there, but it was sunny and warming up so I started swingin.

In 6 hours with the CZ21 I managed to find 73 coins with a face value of $5.17, only 2 camp tent pegs (an all time low number), 4 Cub Scout neckerchief slides (a Webelos, a Bear, a Wolf and a Tiger slide), 2 fake cob coins, a cheapie ring, a game spinner, a Star Wars rebel pendant on a cord, 2 different sized round balls, a modern bullet, 3 sinkers, 2 year pins, 5 pin backs, a few tabs and the usual assortment of grommets, shell casings, foil and other scout trash.

D65BA968-9F7D-4E3B-83F8-F8D77CFCA5BA.jpeg

The 2 round balls may be from the old farm. But of course there is no way to be sure with round balls. The smaller one could well be modern, the larger one is at least .69 caliber and that size normally is not used today. The fake cobs are 2 different styles. These are used on the pirate themed activities at camp. (Each year they have a different theme for the cubs at camp)

D210B4E0-7E41-47C0-85BB-90C9BCBF4DD2.jpeg

The finds at camp are starting to get slimmer and slimmer as I finish gridding sites and redoing areas that I have been done before. (Camp attendance has declined over the past few years as well). But it is still fun to go, I’m still a long way from getting skunked and there is always the possibility of an old goodie.

Did you ever wonder what to do with old Cub Scout neckerchief slides that are in poor shape and can’t really be made usable again? I have been detecting the scout camp for a little over 9 years and I have lots of slides. The Boy Scout slides are easy to fix up and reuse, but the Cub Scout slides just don’t clean up very well. I fingered out a way to use them. For Christmas this year our troop is decorating several trees for the town and the boys are making all the ornaments. (Scout themed items was the plan). We spray painted the slides gold and used fishing line to hang them. They look pretty good I think. The boys fixed up 137 Cub Scout neckerchief slides (I said I found a lot of them, 22 in the last 5 hunts and I go once almost every week) and made some other crafty things. They will be decorating 3 trees right after Thanksgiving.

2DA5DC75-13CC-4387-BFCB-534C45F55B50.jpeg

AF2B9749-6639-46A7-8B6A-656D2E69F939.jpeg

Another short week with traveling for Thanksgiving and Black Friday Christmas shopping. Not a great week with low clad and nothing great, but still fun in the fresh cold air getting my exercise so all is good. Hopefully I’ll get in a full week next week if the weather holds. At this time of year you never know. I’m starting to work on my displays for the college finds that will be displayed in the library. Thanks for looking, have a great holiday, stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

Upvote 8

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back to the park swimming areas where I have been finding all the gold. The beach was frozen hard as a brick so I went back to campus.

DAY 1
After the great hunt on campus last time I decided to grid the section of field where I had all the luck hoping to find more goodies. It didn’t work out. I found a few interesting items, but nothing good and only 7 cents. So I worked my way over to another area and I did find a few more coins, but again nothing great.

In 4.5 of swingin the CZ21 I found 32 coins with a face value of $1.53, 2 brass shell casings, a modern blazer button (brass front ferrous back), a cheapie earring, a golf ball marker, the copper outer shell of a modern bullet, the back part of a brass padlock complete with inner works, a Canadian penny, a mangled plated spoon, a harness ring, a plated brass chain (probably a necklace), a few tabs, can slaw and some large chunks of miscellaneous iron.

View attachment 2056586

The lock is decently old and has a nice green color on the outside. Too bad the front is missing so I can’t tell what kind it is. It looks like it was hit by a mower or plow. Maybe as I continue the grid I will find the front. The chain looked like gold as it came out of the plug, but as I pulled more out I could see where the plating had come off, so darn it.

View attachment 2056585

DAY 2
The camp ranger said scout camp didn’t get much snow and things are warming up so I took my weekly trip there to see if I could get lucky. There was about an inch of snow on the field I wanted to work and it was 27 degrees when I got there, but it was sunny and warming up so I started swingin.

In 6 hours with the CZ21 I managed to find 73 coins with a face value of $5.17, only 2 camp tent pegs (an all time low number), 4 Cub Scout neckerchief slides (a Webelos, a Bear, a Wolf and a Tiger slide), 2 fake cob coins, a cheapie ring, a game spinner, a Star Wars rebel pendant on a cord, 2 different sized round balls, a modern bullet, 3 sinkers, 2 year pins, 5 pin backs, a few tabs and the usual assortment of grommets, shell casings, foil and other scout trash.

View attachment 2056584

The 2 round balls may be from the old farm. But of course there is no way to be sure with round balls. The smaller one could well be modern, the larger one is at least .69 caliber and that size normally is not used today. The fake cobs are 2 different styles. These are used on the pirate themed activities at camp. (Each year they have a different theme for the cubs at camp)

View attachment 2056583

The finds at camp are starting to get slimmer and slimmer as I finish gridding sites and redoing areas that I have been done before. (Camp attendance has declined over the past few years as well). But it is still fun to go, I’m still a long way from getting skunked and there is always the possibility of an old goodie.

Did you ever wonder what to do with old Cub Scout neckerchief slides that are in poor shape and can’t really be made usable again? I have been detecting the scout camp for a little over 9 years and I have lots of slides. The Boy Scout slides are easy to fix up and reuse, but the Cub Scout slides just don’t clean up very well. I fingered out a way to use them. For Christmas this year our troop is decorating several trees for the town and the boys are making all the ornaments. (Scout themed items was the plan). We spray painted the slides gold and used fishing line to hang them. They look pretty good I think. The boys fixed up 137 Cub Scout neckerchief slides (I said I found a lot of them, 22 in the last 5 hunts and I go once almost every week) and made some other crafty things. They will be decorating 3 trees right after Thanksgiving.

View attachment 2056588

View attachment 2056587

Another short week with traveling for Thanksgiving and Black Friday Christmas shopping. Not a great week with low clad and nothing great, but still fun in the fresh cold air getting my exercise so all is good. Hopefully I’ll get in a full week next week if the weather holds. At this time of year you never know. I’m starting to work on my displays for the college finds that will be displayed in the library. Thanks for looking, have a great holiday, stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread