Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back to the middle school where I found the civil war bullets hoping for more. I did manage to find one after about 2 hours and it was beginning to look like one was all for the day. I moved around to the other side of the school to give it a quick look and my 5 hours was about up when I found another and within 10 minutes I had found 3 bullets and a knapsack hook all in about a 3 foot square area. Persistence paid off again.

All together I spent 5.5 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 89 coins with a face value of $4.16 (56 pennies), the knapsack hook, a kiddie ring, a 1945 wheatie, a screw in athletic cleat, 4 civil war bullets, a weird .45 caliber bullet, some tabs and can slaw

7183E347-1C78-446D-8EBF-4725DE9E4E9E.jpeg

The bullets are all drops, but some of the last batch were mangled during the school construction and were found within 4 feet of the building. The first bullet is a .58 caliber minie ball in great shape (it was in the middle of the field), then another minie, a beautiful Williams type lll without the zinc plunger and a mangled Williams type lll with plunger. My favorite find is my first knapsack hook. I have found over 1,000 civil war bullets and a few dozen other items, but never a knapsack hook or J hook. So now I can check that one off the list.

1F4582A7-BAB5-408F-986B-6AC2EBC7B8EE.jpeg

79EE5814-7666-47D0-927B-0B7BE81CAB2F.jpeg

8B6F0199-6FFD-49F2-B381-EB76EED79331.jpeg

I also found this weird bullet like item. It is heavy like it has lead inside and a copper jacket like a modern bullet, but it has a crimped top that has some plastic sticking out of it. No sign of rifling or a crimp when a shell might be attached. If anyone knows what this is please let me know.

B09669D6-456E-4F95-B04C-B8A95F50B8FA.jpeg

I went to the other middle school and spent 5 hours with the CZ21 and found 124 coins with a face value of $9.01, a NO CASH VALUE token, a sandwich charm, a modern lead seal, half a brass faucet handle, another bell shaped whatzit, a fashion ring, 2 wheaties (1912 & 1941), a Charms Candy token, tabs and miscellaneous metal bits.

219537F0-61B0-484F-ACBC-7412FBA000B7.jpeg

The Charms Candy token is badly beat up and eaten by the soil. It is a Herbert Hoover token, not sure of the date it was produced.

86677DB8-E2CD-4C79-A0FA-F170C79B2209.jpeg 980F20DD-0169-489F-A01D-CE13995662AC.jpeg

When I saw this ring in the plug I thought I had a real winner and then I looked at the side and could see it was plated so “BAZINGA”.

E3DE72D4-FE53-4275-9A4E-ECF951B3A7B7.jpeg

BBE9E39E-9726-4993-888D-6C2F90B9EAEF.jpeg

I went back to the other school and did another 5 hour hunt. I got my Excalibur out of moth balls and decided to see if it made finding bullets easier on that field. I used it for about an hour, found some coins and a pendant and the battery went dead. I haven’t used it in a while and forgot to charge it. I’ll have to give it a better workout next time. So I spent the next 4 hours with my CZ21.

All together 71 coins with a face value of $4.70, an old padlock, a pocket watch frame, 2 old football cleats, a brass loop, a silver half dollar, 2 more civil war bullets, a cheapy pendant, tabs, cans and assorted junk as usual.

B705B6CA-F1D6-483A-B20C-921EF2D800A6.jpeg

The bullets are both .58 caliber minie balls, but the one on the right has been carved into what looks like a chess piece. Carved civil war bullets are cool finds.

D6C8872F-2457-4205-9CBC-B19254DA8FE5.jpeg

The half dollar is a 1904 Barber half. When I cut the plug I thought I was digging a quarter. It was still in the hole so I pinpointed and scooped out a shovel full of dirt and put it on my bucket lid. I only saw part of the edge sticking out of the dirt and I thought I had dug a big stainless washer. I turned it over and saw the Eagle and boy that was a nice surprise. Only my third Barber half in almost 20 years of diggin.

CD4326D4-3121-49ED-9B4F-B30270E4C52B.jpeg

57E2ADEE-A496-404E-99D2-3BE0D321D306.jpeg

The watch frame may be civil war era and I believe the brass loop is part of a sword hanger. It shows wear on the top and bottom of the belt loop. The lock is badly rusted and the style looks more like early 1900s to me but I’m no expert. Any help in confirming info on the frame the loop and the lock will be appreciated. It would be cool if they were all civil war era pieces. The principal has said she wants the civil war stuff for the school display so hopefully I’ll keep getting lucky so they have a good display.

B3FC76E6-D1DD-4469-8482-BA2D5D1CE8F5.jpeg

07EBAB73-5C47-4B10-AA0E-9385A14E9B9D.jpeg

I was going to go back to the schools again today before the kids come back, but the rain was just too heavy. I’ve got the Excalibur all charged up and ready to go. Maybe tomorrow will be better weather so I can get in some more detecting before the hard freeze that is predicted for us.

So a good end to 2021 and hope for a good 2022. My year ends on April 30 so I still have 4 months in my year. I’m on track for a good year with $745.03 so far in face value. Thanks for looking, stay safe and may your coil lead you to good things. HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL, MAY IT BE BETTER THAN LAST YEAR!

Attachments

• EB85349F-1444-4D3D-8CF4-1928D64731BC.jpeg
    EB85349F-1444-4D3D-8CF4-1928D64731BC.jpeg
    422.9 KB · Views: 56
  • EBA50DAD-20F2-4604-B324-992D10672889.jpeg
    EBA50DAD-20F2-4604-B324-992D10672889.jpeg
    432.8 KB · Views: 57
Upvote 31

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I went back to the middle school where I found the civil war bullets hoping for more. I did manage to find one after about 2 hours and it was beginning to look like one was all for the day. I moved around to the other side of the school to give it a quick look and my 5 hours was about up when I found another and within 10 minutes I had found 3 bullets and a knapsack hook all in about a 3 foot square area. Persistence paid off again.

All together I spent 5.5 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 89 coins with a face value of $4.16 (56 pennies), the knapsack hook, a kiddie ring, a 1945 wheatie, a screw in athletic cleat, 4 civil war bullets, a weird .45 caliber bullet, some tabs and can slaw

View attachment 2000251

The bullets are all drops, but some of the last batch were mangled during the school construction and were found within 4 feet of the building. The first bullet is a .58 caliber minie ball in great shape (it was in the middle of the field), then another minie, a beautiful Williams type lll without the zinc plunger and a mangled Williams type lll with plunger. My favorite find is my first knapsack hook. I have found over 1,000 civil war bullets and a few dozen other items, but never a knapsack hook or J hook. So now I can check that one off the list.

View attachment 2000253
View attachment 2000254
View attachment 2000252

I also found this weird bullet like item. It is heavy like it has lead inside and a copper jacket like a modern bullet, but it has a crimped top that has some plastic sticking out of it. No sign of rifling or a crimp when a shell might be attached. If anyone knows what this is please let me know.

View attachment 2000255

I went to the other middle school and spent 5 hours with the CZ21 and found 124 coins with a face value of $9.01, a NO CASH VALUE token, a sandwich charm, a modern lead seal, half a brass faucet handle, another bell shaped whatzit, a fashion ring, 2 wheaties (1912 & 1941), a Charms Candy token, tabs and miscellaneous metal bits.

View attachment 2000257

The Charms Candy token is badly beat up and eaten by the soil. It is a Herbert Hoover token, not sure of the date it was produced.

View attachment 2000259 View attachment 2000260

When I saw this ring in the plug I thought I had a real winner and then I looked at the side and could see it was plated so “BAZINGA”.

View attachment 2000256

View attachment 2000261

I went back to the other school and did another 5 hour hunt. I got my Excalibur out of moth balls and decided to see if it made finding bullets easier on that field. I used it for about an hour, found some coins and a pendant and the battery went dead. I haven’t used it in a while and forgot to charge it. I’ll have to give it a better workout next time. So I spent the next 4 hours with my CZ21.

All together 71 coins with a face value of $4.70, an old padlock, a pocket watch frame, 2 old football cleats, a brass loop, a silver half dollar, 2 more civil war bullets, a cheapy pendant, tabs, cans and assorted junk as usual.

View attachment 2000262

The bullets are both .58 caliber minie balls, but the one on the right has been carved into what looks like a chess piece. Carved civil war bullets are cool finds.

View attachment 2000264

The half dollar is a 1904 Barber half. When I cut the plug I thought I was digging a quarter. It was still in the hole so I pinpointed and scooped out a shovel full of dirt and put it on my bucket lid. I only saw part of the edge sticking out of the dirt and I thought I had dug a big stainless washer. I turned it over and saw the Eagle and boy that was a nice surprise. Only my third Barber half in almost 20 years of diggin.

View attachment 2000250

View attachment 2000265

The watch frame may be civil war era and I believe the brass loop is part of a sword hanger. It shows wear on the top and bottom of the belt loop. The lock is badly rusted and the style looks more like early 1900s to me but I’m no expert. Any help in confirming info on the frame the loop and the lock will be appreciated. It would be cool if they were all civil war era pieces. The principal has said she wants the civil war stuff for the school display so hopefully I’ll keep getting lucky so they have a good display.

View attachment 2000267

View attachment 2000266

I was going to go back to the schools again today before the kids come back, but the rain was just too heavy. I’ve got the Excalibur all charged up and ready to go. Maybe tomorrow will be better weather so I can get in some more detecting before the hard freeze that is predicted for us.

So a good end to 2021 and hope for a good 2022. My year ends on April 30 so I still have 4 months in my year. I’m on track for a good year with $745.03 so far in face value. Thanks for looking, stay safe and may your coil lead you to good things. HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL, MAY IT BE BETTER THAN LAST YEAR!
What an awesome hunt! Congratulations on your finds!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Outstanding post, great finds and big silver- Congrats!!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2000251

View attachment 2000253
View attachment 2000254
View attachment 2000252

View attachment 2000255

View attachment 2000257

View attachment 2000256

View attachment 2000261

View attachment 2000262

View attachment 2000264

View attachment 2000250

View attachment 2000265

View attachment 2000267

View attachment 2000266

Very Nice!! Congrats!!

Tencents

Jan 12, 2019
Northeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1500, Garrett Apex
Minelab 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2000251

View attachment 2000253
View attachment 2000254
View attachment 2000252

View attachment 2000255

View attachment 2000257

View attachment 2000256

View attachment 2000261

View attachment 2000262

View attachment 2000264

View attachment 2000250

View attachment 2000265

View attachment 2000267

View attachment 2000266

A fine day indeed.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Congratulations on your nice recoveries

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've known people to store stuff in bullet casings, so best open it up & see what you have.
Really?? My wife dug a pair of two bullet casings shoved up inside of each other this past weekend. We haven’t opened it.

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2000251

View attachment 2000253
View attachment 2000254
View attachment 2000252

View attachment 2000255

View attachment 2000257

View attachment 2000256

View attachment 2000261

View attachment 2000262

View attachment 2000264

View attachment 2000250

View attachment 2000265

View attachment 2000267

View attachment 2000266

You have quite an assortment of finds...love how you presented it, stacked coins and all. I do love the barber coin and its Beautiful design. Thanks for sharing!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really?? My wife dug a pair of two bullet casings shoved up inside of each other this past weekend. We haven’t opened it.
Yes, but they are not normally that exciting. Things like matches or on shoots, those short straws etc...
But doesn't mean they didn't put something more interesting.

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2000251

View attachment 2000253
View attachment 2000254
View attachment 2000252

View attachment 2000255

View attachment 2000257

View attachment 2000256

View attachment 2000261

View attachment 2000262

View attachment 2000264

View attachment 2000250

View attachment 2000265

View attachment 2000267

View attachment 2000266

That's one great site for 2022 esp it being a field , CW Bullets are Awesome , But I love the Barber Half , I've only dug 1 in 20 years , BTW your modern bullet is likely a Corbon 'Power Ball ' , Safety slug (same company ) or a Hornady Critical Duty/Defense bullet with the plastic insert in the HP Tip . Or a Hollow Point that it plastic then was clogged with milk jug or other debris . The lock is cool to & Fun ! to preserve (if yr into that sort of thing ) .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread