MORE COLD GOLD

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 30-30 Minelab X Calibur 1000 MineLab Equinox 800 Garret Infinium Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Found this little trinket yesterday on the beach...Any Ideas?...seems to be Brass / Bronze
Well it turns out to be some kind of Nautical Instrument that I am told is very old... It was used to help untie knots in rope works... used at the end of your thumb area like a pick almost..put between lines and then twisted at the same time as pushing downward...This would make sence as I found it in an area where they once held ships for loading and unloading back in the 1700's ...and this is still pending authentication...They are saying it may be very old...like 2 hundred years old.....we will wait to see...if it is what they are saying, it will be a first of its kind that I have ever seen anywhere...if anyone has any information on this would be tool please chime in.... Grey 2 (10).JPG Grey 2 (1).JPG Grey 2 (5).JPG Grey 2 (4).JPG Oh ya and almost forgot about the very early 18 K GOLD Wedding Band ...

Upvote 0

StormSurge

Oct 6, 2011
S E Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like a miniature Marlinspike? I can see that or maybe used to tie or mend nets? Just a guess.
Looks like a cool find and old. Fantastic wedding band too.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
Thats a real neat find. Cool you no people that know what the hell that could be. Hope it turns out good. Thanks for showing. And thanks for the lesson. Now to gind one. Yarrrrr

sent from a sending device.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whydah,

Neat find....I can't give you any info on the id....but that wedding band appears to have some makers marks....can you give us a blow up picture and maybe someone can date it for you.

Probably has a bit of age.

Regards + HH

Bill

TreasurDiggrNY

Dec 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt and finds Whydah, nice gold ring8-) Good luck on the id for the nautical instrument. When I first saw it I thought an old chess piece.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Sweet 18 buddy! A rare thing for any area....:thumbsup:

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Another good hunt, mystery, history and a little yellow too! I think another name for it other than marlin spike is Fid although this one is rather small, I can see how it would work well yet still be able to be stored away in a pocket or a kit easily. If it just wasn't so darn cold I'd love to join you on one of those hunts!

Cliff

Fenway

Jun 30, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Excal II,
CTX 30-30, White's TDI Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
Great hunt again buddy. Can't wait to get back there with you and unearth some more goodies. There's plenty more there! As always, thanks for the lessons. You have effectively shaved many, many years off of the learning curve for me! :weee:

Predicting another storm this weekend...

Fenway

OP
OP
Whydah

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 30-30 Minelab X Calibur 1000 MineLab Equinox 800 Garret Infinium Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:
You got it buddy. always trying to put us in the rite spots at the rite times.....take mental notes of the rocks, highs ,lows, sands, are they soft? get out of there...wasting your time...get to a productive area....Throw out the Anchor and start swinging...

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow love the history and gold too water is in the low sixties here and i have hard time getting in I don,t know how you do it!

OP
OP
Whydah

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Wow love the history and gold too water is in the low sixties here and i have hard time getting in I don,t know how you do it!
Its in the low 40's here... Gold makes the WATER HOT...I forget all about it...until I run to the truck with Icicles...hanging off the coil and scoop

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Whydah, you find the most interesting treasures; love the "oldie" finds.

Congrats on the beautiful 18K ring find!:headbang:

Lorraine

GTzer

Jan 24, 2013
DELCO, Pa
Detector(s) used
xTerra 705 & 6000 xl Pro,CZ 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to see you posting again. I enjoy your pics & finds.

1KBlueTuber

Oct 19, 2014
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur blue tube 1000
Fisher cz-6a, 1265x,
Whites eagle IIsl
Whydah,

Nice finds! Tough for me to see how big the thumb tool is but I've seen something similar down your way used to shuck quahogs. I think I saw it over at Acushnet River Antiques in New Bedford.

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find! I love to see the beautiful gold amongst the old crusty relics and it never ceases to amaze me how gold retains its luster while everything around it corrodes. TFS and HH!

BOXING63

Jan 7, 2007
PIRATE ,CT
Detector(s) used
Excalibur ll, Sovereign GT / New England Detectors USA
Primary Interest:
WOW congrates on that nice 18k gold ring

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dammit man!! I could never go out in this cold spell!! Good to see you're still finding stuff, just don't freeze yourself. I'd like to see other pics of the brass thing without it on your thumb. Great going to find gold and artifacts in the yankee cold!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread