More NC Artifacts

NC_Randall

Greenie
Feb 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are more pics of my collection. I've given up of categorising them, so they are probably a hodge podge of types and eras.
Comments would be appreciated.

FullSizeRender(8).jpg
FullSizeRender(3).jpg
FullSizeRender(7).jpg

Upvote 0

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TNet, and thanks for showing your very nice assemblage of NC points!
In the first photo, the one on the top left I would call a "Kirk corner notched", the smaller dark point just below that looks like it might be a "Jacks Reef". The four on right side (two top & two bottom), generalized side notch points, similar to "Otter Creeks" and "Big Sandy's". The 2nd from the left on the top row I would generically call a late archaic or early woodland era small stemmed point. The bottom row center piece probably does not fit into a recognized type.

In the second photo the two furthest to the right (on the top and bottom rows) would also be side notched points. The two points in the middle (on the top and bottom rows), and the one on the top left I would type as "Kirk Corner Notched". The one on the bottom left is special, and probably the most ancient you have shown yet. It appears to be an early stage "Hardaway" point with a basal flute. A valuable and desirable point in your region, even with what looks to be the bottom ear on the right side missing.

The bottom photo is a nice selection of what are generically called "triangles", with the two on the right side possibly being "eared triangles".

Just my opinion, and hopefully some of our members from NC & SC who are more experienced with your style points will chime in.

OP
OP
N

NC_Randall

Greenie
Feb 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet, and thanks for showing your very nice assemblage of NC points!
In the first photo, the one on the top left I would call a "Kirk corner notched", the smaller dark point just below that looks like it might be a "Jacks Reef". The four on right side (two top & two bottom), generalized side notch points, similar to "Otter Creeks" and "Big Sandy's". The 2nd from the left on the top row I would generically call a late archaic or early woodland era small stemmed point. The bottom row center piece probably does not fit into a recognized type.

In the second photo the two furthest to the right (on the top and bottom rows) would also be side notched points. The two points in the middle (on the top and bottom rows), and the one on the top left I would type as "Kirk Corner Notched". The one on the bottom left is special, and probably the most ancient you have shown yet. It appears to be an early stage "Hardaway" point with a basal flute. A valuable and desirable point in your region, even with what looks to be the bottom ear on the right side missing.

The bottom photo is a nice selection of what are generically called "triangles", with the two on the right side possibly being "eared triangles".

Just my opinion, and hopefully some of our members from NC & SC who are more experienced with your style points will chime in.

Thank you for your detailed and thoughtful analysis. I have spent hours looking up different NC types and after a while the subtle differences start to be a blur.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread