More Riffle Questions

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
Resized_20210422_201433.jpeg should they be spaced equal. are more better. my old keene on the right are allot closer than mine. i think my biggest problem is the dirt ive been trying to run is mostly gravel and not allot of dirt or sand.
thanks brad

Last edited by a moderator:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Puffer dry washers and mostly coarse feed (gravel) do not get along. There is virtually no sealing of the gaps between the pieces making the puffs ineffective and the gravel hardly moves. I found that recycling some tails to the feed supplies enough fines to get everything working again and moves the gravel down and out of the sluice. Wide apart riffles also can create a bare space on the higher end below that riffle that can cause the puffs to be ineffective by allowing air to easily pass through it....flowing air seeks the path of least resistance.

Good luck.

OP
OP

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
Resized_20210423_074004.jpeg Resized_20210423_074149.jpeg so after another sleepless nite ,i came up with this word, gravity line, its a measurement in degrees from the bottom of one rifle to the top of the next one.if you set it at 0 ,then the wider spaced tray has to run at less angle.on mine its about 2 in. in angle.so with the wider rifle you have less angle to help move the dirt and more dirt to move.if you go pass o on the gravity line is when you get bare spots.the left one is 31/8in and the right one is 2in.you can go less but just not more than 0 degrees .oh well iam going to bed.
thanks brad

Last edited:

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Riffle?I thought you were looking for a piece to protect your claim,in jest, no harm meant.Or is it really called a rifle?

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Puffer dry washers and mostly coarse feed (gravel) do not get along. There is virtually no sealing of the gaps between the pieces making the puffs ineffective and the gravel hardly moves. I found that recycling some tails to the feed supplies enough fines to get everything working again and moves the gravel down and out of the sluice. Wide apart riffles also can create a bare space on the higher end below that riffle that can cause the puffs to be ineffective by allowing air to easily pass through it....flowing air seeks the path of least resistance.

Good luck.

I couldn't have said it better :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread